My worst day yet with food

Since my LADA diagnosis 2 years ago, I’ve been pretty ontarget with my carb/foods. The usual drill of only what I cook, low glycemic, no or minimal processed foods, etc.

Yesterday was my first attempt to eat as non-insulin dependent person—and the white flour and xylitol sent me spinning and chasing. I made lemon poppyseed muffin tops so I know exactly what was in it. They weren’t even good as I limited the fat. :smiley:

Pretty disappointed with myself.

I had also muted my alarm notices on my Dexcom.

I think I wanted to forget I had this disease. It’s definitely a challenge today.

Guess this is more of a rant about food and how it seems food is fine if I stay in my lane… but the unknowns are just miserable.

2 Likes

@Mika, don’t beat yourself up. We all have an occasional oops day.

1 Like

A mistake a lot of people make as a type 1 is xylitol has carbs, about half the amount of sugar. As a type 2 they are supposed to metabolize it fast enough that it doesn’t affect them. But plenty of type 2’s are affected too. But as a type 1 we don’t make insulin to handle it at all, so a lot of type 1’s are affected by it. Erythritol or stevia are better choices.

Keep in mind the only way you learn is by experimentation. Since we can vary by our daily lives and we just can vary, it’s the only way you can sometimes learn how you are affected by certain foods. I find timing is critical because once you are “high” it takes more to come down and more guesswork. But timing takes experimentation too.

And even when we supposedly know what we are doing we make mistakes. I just made some roasted rosemary garlic potato wedges yesterday and forgot to prebolus for the “tasting” that happens along the way. They were good and potatoes hit fast…

4 Likes

Its one day, only one day.

4 Likes

Remember that potato starch becomes a less-carby resistant starch one or two days later. Still carby but not as much.

Thanks for reminding me, @Willow4 and @Rphil2. Almost didn’t post, but I was beating myself up about it.

@Marie20 — I think I was lulled by the advertising on the bag. “Keto-friendly”, “tooth friendly”, etc. My local grocery had two big bags of this on the clearance rack and I thought I’d try it instead of my usual Splenda.

I feel I’ve tried just about every sugar and sugar wannabe pre-diabetes chasing every diet and health fad. TAB, Diet Coke, blue packets, pink packets, green packets, yellow packets. Stevia, monkfruit, coconut sugar. My grandmother even used those saccharine pills for her coffee. :smiley:

I haven’t settled down and really tried to work through the whole “sugar alcohol” carb math, though. I’ve just avoided pre-made foodstuffs over the past 2 years thanks to COVID and being isolated from work food/event food.

I’ve been using Splenda as my all purpose sugar for tea, my “world famous in my mind” chocolate mousse (dark cocoa powder, yoghurt, and Splenda), homemade fruit spreads, and whipped cream.

I grew stevia years ago, funnily, and hated the taste as a plant. Still can’t get over the taste.

2 Likes

You aren’t alone.
Many of us have had those days. And the sugar goes up, and finally after multiple little pointless and ineffective boluses you rage bolus 5 units and then watch everything crash.
Fortunately there are other much more successful days.

6 Likes

“Rage bolus” :upside_down_face: that’s my new favorite— that’s exactly what I do. And, then it’s the wild roller coaster ride…

1 Like

Yeah there’s a lot of advertising tricks with food. A certain word means a certain thing specifically, like “good source” or something, it just means legally it has this much percent of it. I still use sweet n low for my coffee. Or cinnamon. Cinnamon lowers blood sugar. Agave, honey, sugar, all the same just by a different name. There are varying opinions on how one should eat and what they should eat. I dont really have much thought for sweets anymore, but listen we all do it. We all cheat. Anyone that says otherwise is lying. Take care. Dont beat yourself up. Look at the averages on your continuous glucose monitor, look at how often it is in the optimal range that your doctor has suggested for you. Mine is about 72% of the time in normal range. My A1C is 6.8. I’m fine with that. But i hear you those alarms can be quite annoying, especially if you’ve taken care of it and it just keeps ringing. It makes me think of eating all the time or something. Talk with your doctor about it. Best advice is to listen to your doctor. We can offer support, but your doctor is really who knows what you should be doing. Take care :slight_smile:

No need to beat yourself up. Seriously, consider it a learning experience. Those foods don’t work for you, move on. Stick with what works.

I don’t see a range for your graph, so I don’t know what those numbers are. But clearly it was up and down a lot. I’m totally w/ you on how frustrating it is to not know how things will affect your blood sugar. I’ve been T1D for over two years now and I’ve kept track of every carb (literally, in a notebook), only eat twice a day (literally there’s never been an exception to that), and I go back to learn lessons from how things have gone in the past to figure out what exactly I need to do for whatever particular type of food I’m having at a given meal, factoring in activity level/timings of boluses/etc. And I still feel like it’s a stab in the dark to a significant extent. So frustrating. My spouse (he’s the best) says, “Don’t beat yourself up,” which is right, but it’s not just about beating myself up that feels bad, it’s more for me about how frustrating it is to try and control something that can be so unpredictable. It’s the disease that makes me upset, not my effort! Anyway, just know we’re in the same boat with you. Just try your best, try to learn lessons as well as possible (e.g. “If I have flour, how do I need to bolus for x amount? What if I add a complex carb to the meal (like beans)?” etc.). The game is getting as close to doing as well as possible, whatever that means. Perfection just doesn’t happen, all we can do is try to get better, and do the best we can, and that’s what counts. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We get a perfect day now and then to confuse us. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Haha! Yes true.

1 Like

I’ve had a long road trying different diets. Currently on mastering diabetes low fat diet.
But I’ve learned something important.
I can handle carbs even relatively high carbs as long as I don’t eat fat with it. Then it becomes nearly impossible to dose properly. Things like pizza and Chinese food.

However I can eat fat when it’s alone or fat/ protein.

I’m currently limiting fat just because it makes my sugars so much more stable. I also avoid refined carbs like bread etc.

Otherwise my diet is pretty doable. Everyone has different tolerances and likes so it might take time to figure it out.

The one prob with LADA is that it’s constantly changing and won’t level out till you’ve lost all pancreatic functions.

1 Like