Nervous about making the change

I currently have an Animas insulin pump and the only thing between me and an Omnipod is the approval from my insurance company. Something keeps telling me that I really need to analyze this a little further. What input (good and bad) can you give me that would help me make a better decision?

Lindsay-

Read ALL the posts about the Omnipod, especially the ones on the thread re: recent “bad pods”…my endo is actally trying to switch me to the Animas, b/c ofall the problems with inuslet and the Omnipod. She literally HATES the Omnipod, I dont, except for the very frequent problems with “bad” pods, and the consequest loss of insulin and control. I would be glad to discuss these if you wish, just message me and we can start a little discussion!

I LOVE my OmniPod. The freedom to be tube-less is AMAZING. All in all I’m very glad I made the switch from the Medtronic MiniMed. However, the difference I’ve noticed most is the cost. If I was on a fixed income this would not be the pump for me. I feel I waste a lot of supplies (pods and insulin), much more than I did with my Medtronic. Everything from the random failure of the pod (especially frustrating when you’ve just replaced one) and the hard stop at 3 days regardless of the amount of insulin left in the pod (I use to be able to get an extra day or two out of my MM if I had extra insulin).

If I was still in single-parent pay check to pay check mode of my life, this wouldn’t be a good choice for me. Fortunately, I’m at a really good place in my life and while I don’t like wasting, I also can afford to pay a little extra for the luxury of no tube. Other than cost, I can’t think of another negative for me.

I never had another pump so I’m quite partial to the OmniPod. Yes, there are some problems but I wouldn’t trade it for a “tube” pump… just too confining for me. I agree with Lindsay, read all the posts, good and bad and make your decision from all the information here. It all boils down to what features are the most important to you. Good luck.

Lindsay I was on an Animus pump prior to the Onipod. I never thought the tubing was that big a deal. But after 6 months without tubing I can tell you that I love it. Having the PDM around/with you all the time seemed like a big deal to me but I now use the case instead of a purse so it turned out to be no big deal at all.

I dont know that my control is any better but my control wasnt bad to begin with.

So I love the Omni and I’m very glad that I switched. AND now I have my Animus as a backup if I should ever need one.

Lindsay,
Here’s a little bit I wrote about my own experience. It’s a bit old (more than a year) but my impressions haven’t changed much since then.
http://bewarethepenguin.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-experience-with-omnipod.html

Eric

I have been on the Pod for about 18 months, and I have (thank God) not had a box of bad Pods yet. In all that time, I have only had a handful of Pod failures, and my control is much better than when I was on MDI. Maybe I am just lucky, but I have not had any trouble with the Pod (other than the time I dropped the PDM…but that was my own fault). I would not wear an insulin pump if I had to go with tubes; the Pod gives you the freedom to be you without anyone knowing you are even on the Pod. Not everyone has problems or gets boxes of bad Pods, so do not take the bad Pods as a certainty. Like anything else in life, not everything works 100% all of the time, but I will take the 98-99% good times with better control any day of the week.

Lindsay,

I always knew that the pod would be the only choice for me since I am needle phobic and like the pod inserting itself automatically. Plus, I just couldn’t see myself with that tubing and having to do disconnects at various times. I was about to not go for it after reading all the challenges people seem to have vs other pumps but my hypoglcemia on the MDI became unbearable so I had to do something.

I’ve been on the pod for 6 weeks now. I’ve had 2 PDM errors and got a new PDM last week. Apparently my problem is not as common as others as you’ve been reading. I’ve tried to take tips from people here on how to avoid pod failures and errors and do my pod changes almost like a doctor prepares for surgery! The biggest challenge I have with the pod is finding good spots to wear it for comfortable sleeping but I have back problems.

I agree with the other person who said you have to read it all and decide what’s important to you. For me, no tubes and no manual cannula insertion were important to me so the pod was my only option. It’s by no means perfect but it’s the only one of it’s kind for now so I’m going with it and looking forward to future improvements and competition from other pod companies. In a way, I feel like going to a tubed pump would be going backwards.

Good luck with your decision.