Neuropathy?

I have had type 2 for 28 years. I have been in good control. Last 2 , A1c’s where 6.2 . On my right foot my second toe has given me a slight tingle, maybe 2-3 times a month. For maybe 20 seconds. That is it. I can feel the filament with my feet. I have no other issues. I walk fine. Any ideas? Thank you. I see my MD in 2 weeks. Nancy50

I suspect it is just a fluke and nothing to worry about anymore than when your hand goes asleep when you lie on it. I have similar episodes from time to time for years but my blood sugar has always been in good range under 7 for past 30+ years and never even considered it to be neuropathy as my feet are very sensitive to both the vibration and filament test.

Nancy, have you recently started taking a statin or Zetia? During 60 yrs of being a type 1, I had never had neuropathy. In the past 18 yrs I had one a1c of 5.8, the rest being between 4.6 and 5.4.

I started Zetia and as a side affect I got neuropathy in my feet. After learning that neuropathy can be a side effect, I stopped taking it. The neuropathy went away. I later tried another statin, and got more neuropathy. I can’t take statins.

Hmmmm, very interesting - Maybe 30 years on a statin I just never put 2+2 together because I also have occasional tingling and even sometimes second toe can go numb for 10 minutes or so. I only realize numbness in the shower when that happens.

The statin I tried after Zetia also listed neuropathy as a possible side effect. My feet occasionally burn. I have been off the statin for about a year if I remember correctly, but this time a bit of neuropathy stayed. It makes me furious, but I try to accept that I escaped diabetic neuropathy only to get it from a pharmaceutical drug.

I do not take a statin, lipids are good. I have no complications. Just this little thing. Thanks,Nancy50

Within the past year, I started getting tingles in my left foot, and while I can feel the filament, I noticed a difference between my 2 feet, the left being slightly less sensitive. I mentioned that to my PA, and the endo suggested I supplement with B12, since mine was a bit low. I was unable to find studies that showed supplementing solved the problem, but there is a widespread belief among studies that low B12 contributes to neuropathy. It’s a common finding, neuropathy and low B12.

Since it is a concern of mine, when I ran across the article below, I kept it for future reference. In it, The items that they found that correlated with Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy (DPN):

1. Higher mean HbA1c was the most significant risk factor
  2. Followed by older age
  3. Longer duration
  4. Greater height
  5. Macroalbuminuria
  6. Higher mean pulse rate
  7. β-blocker use
  8. Sustained albuminuria

The one that stood out for me was greater height - I’m 6’4" - but I also noticed I have more odd feelings in my feet after my long walks around Manhattan, where I often pound the walkways in thinly-cushioned shoes. This will probably have to stop, so I won’t give up my long walks, but I now wear something more substantial.

For myself, my A1C is considered good at 6.6, I’m 59, and have had Type 1 for about 42 years. The rest don’t apply for me, as my kidney/protein numbers are all excellent.

https://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/69/5/1000

Due to taking metformin I have to take B12. That is interesting, thank you. Nancy50

From what I understand , neuropathy is almost always bilateral. So you won’t likely only get it on one foot.
I had a neuroma in my left foot and I thought it was neuropathy, but my doctor said it can’t be because it’s just in one foot. I have plantar fibramatosis. Which causes lumps in my feet and can lead to tingling numbness and pain. It’s like of like throwing a handful of marbles in your shoe then putting on your shoe and walking around.
Mine only hurts when I walk. That’s another sign it is not neuropathy. I’m sure a podiatrist can narrow it down.