New Dexcom update Yuk! Now you have to

Happy Dance!!!
I dug up my old iphone 8 and restarted my sensor on it, and it worked just like it should. A banner flash with my BG number on it, that goes away. The beeps that should always be there with alerts. So I eliminated the Dexcom ap on my current phone. I reset the Dexcom receiver to being a higher alert and a lower alert again so I have my second back up alert back in place and I am one happy person! There will be no updating it!!!

Lol…I now have a third thing to carry with me, but I can live with that, what’s one more thing? I also have to figure out how I will stand it up at night with it plugged in because it doesn’t have the battery power. I’ll have to get another stand up charger. I am used to now looking over and seeing my BG number at a glance.

See the source image

6 Likes

My Dexcom version is 1.8.1
(Until you asked that question I didn’t even realize I had that info right there in my phone. Good grief!)
I have gotten the notifications that I must upgrade or it won’t work after Sep 7. My phone however is at a lower IOS 12.5.6 and will not update any higher. IOS 13 or higher is required to download the “newest version” of Dexcom app.

However, now that I see you have a higher number version of Dexcom app then I do it makes me think somehow I wasn’t updated before. How can that be? I remember a change awhile back to Clarity Reports, which I find to be a negative, but don’t remember any changes in how my Dexcom app worked otherwise.
I keep my phone set to “manual” for updates so no sneaky updates behind my back. But I don’t ever remember declining a Dexcom update.
I’m confused by the whole “Update Now or Else” thing. I just want to keep my current phone and carry on. I’ve got enough other crap to deal with.

This may be a crazy question but one of the main reasons I have a CGM is for the alerts especially the critical low alerts. So why would I turn those off?

I am not sure why you are asking me? You are in control of what you want to do with alerts except that dexcom has taken that away now. If you want them, keep them.

Didn’t mean to offend, if I did. I was just wondering as I saw several of you say basically the same thing. So I just randomly picked one of you to ask as I was curious is all. I’m aware I’m in control of alerts. Again, just curious about other’s reasons. I’m new here. I guess that’s not allowed.

@TinaB It’s completely allowed!!! I turned mine off, because they were annoying me with the banners that wouldn’t go away. I feel my lows and I also wake up usually around 65-70. I found a work around to get back the alerts because of highs though. That’s when I dug up my old iphone 8. I don’t feel highs at all but I don’t like to go above 140 much and I have been having an issue with pod failures off and on.

After not having any failures for a few months, I just had 3 in a row. And I ended up over 200 twice as I had my alerts off. So I just dug up my iphone 8. It has ios 13.5.1 and Dexcom 1.9.0. It works great and I’m not updating it! I took the Dexcom ap off my iphone 13 and will be toting around 3 devices now lol.

So I am back to being able to have something on all night I can just glance at and see my BG level. Having the iphone 8 alerts at 80 and 130 and the receiver at 75 and 160 as a second alert system. I turn off the receiver at night and my phone switches to 160 at night. So I am back to being a happy camper!

4 Likes

Oh yes, quite aware it’s completely allowed to turn off one’s alerts. I just know that was the main reason I was given one in the first place so was just curious why others might choose to turn off their alerts for the majority of time, as opposed to just certain times like during a work/school presentation or social engagement like a wedding, funeral, or theater, etc…

I see that for others who feel their lows while awake it’s not an issue. I still don’t know how they feel them while asleep, but apparently that’s not an issue for them either. So then it seems in those cases, or for those people, the CGM is mostly for just knowing their numbers (in place of glucose meter) more often, and perhaps more control of blood sugar levels without really getting alerts for lows and highs, though for me alerts for highs helps me better control my blood sugar levels.

I do not just wake up when low. I keep on sleeping…right on down past alarms…past urgent low sometimes. Thus I need Follow! Hubs needs to wake me when the alerts don’t wake me and get sugar in me.

Yes. Totally agree the alerts are annoying, especially when they keep beeping, or they wake you repeatedly when they are wrong and you’ve already calibrated. :expressionless: I have wanted to fling it across the room many times. Instead I yell at it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::upside_down_face: As if that’s going to help.

@TinaB I wake up when I hit somewhere between 65-85. Usually I have a hard time going back to sleep so then I will glance and see I am lower than 80. A few times I have woken up, probably when I’m deeper asleep when I am at 65. And I know that right when I wake as being lower, I will feel anxious. The problem with that is obviously I will still drop some more before what I consume can hit. So I prefer an alert sounding at 75 or 80, but it’s not necessary. And I purposely take breaks from my Dexcom being on because I figure it’s good for me to go back to the basics. I had gotten really reliant on it. But those nights I usually go to bed boosting my normal 100-110 to being around 110-120. But I am one of the lucky ones and I know I wake.

I meant completely allowed to ask a question!!! Lol…that twist on your interpreting the meaning of being allowed to turn off alerts threw me. No one has any say on what I am allowed lol!!! I was always that kid that if someone told me I had to be allowed to do something, it would guarantee I didn’t listen! :smiley:

1 Like

:joy: Too funny how things get mixed up sometimes. I read it that way since it immediately preceded your sentence : “I turn mine off…” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: That’s how I got there. But I get it now! And thanks! :purple_heart:

And this is really cool for comparing various phones. Pick the phones you want to compare and it puts them side by side comparing their specs. This just happens to be the four I was comparing at the time. I was comparing my current model with three possible newer models. Pretty handy! You can also pick other brands to compare side by side.
Now I can see I want to get the iPhone SE3. It’s exact same size as your i8, designed after the i6, does what I need, software support for at least 6 more years, and the lowest price tag of the new ones. :+1::+1:
Thanks for your help!
https://www.smartprix.com/mobiles/compare.php?ids=1101yee3led,pd11h1wkj19,pd1cd67sk4k,pd1is0zovhb

1 Like

You asked why “you” would want to turn off alerts, not why “I” want to.

I believe I mentioned that somewhere else in this post. I prefer my alerts to be on vibrate and not loudly alerting me on my watch and numerous devices- I use my phone, my watch and my receiver. The new Dexcom app requires you to allow critical alerts in order to use the ap at all now.

In the past the only sound alerts you could not turn off were 55 and I believe now the going 55 low soon as well.

The way they have structured this now forces you to allow critical alerts and instead of just having those two on sound alert, every single change in your blood sugar is being alerted with loud sounds and also it doesn’t allow you to select or change the sound that you want on the watch anyway.

Btw, the dexcom sound alerts are useless for me when I’m sleeping, they never wake me up. Constant sound alerts all day long is not only stressful but annoying and embarrassing when they are not needed or useful. You would think after 10 years Dexcom would’ve done something to fix all of this nonsense but instead they’ve made it worse.

2 Likes

Ah, sorry about the “I” rather than “you.”
I missed that you have three receiver devices going at the same time. So of course you only need one to alert you. And yes, I can definitely see there are times when I too would choose not to have some alerts, even on my one receiver device.
I am NOT looking forward to the new Dexcom app. This version I have 1.8.1 is annoying enough with extra alerts that go off when not needed, but at least I can select my own tone. I can’t imagine this change will be good for my stress, blood sugar, blood pressure, or my cat’s ears! :persevere:

2 Likes

No worries :grinning: I hope you find something that works for you… my cats hate the new sound I chose for the 55 alerts so I think I have to change that one. It is sort of a ding, ding but it really gets your attention.

I am finding the alerts more and more stressful… I had the libre 2 on at the same time for a while, my cde gave me a sample to test to see if it is more accurate, and that one was even worse, it has a very loud alarm that can’t be changed at all on my iphone anyway.

Uh oh! I made the mistake of turning on WI FI on my iphone and now I have a message to update my Dexcom ap and I can’t even get a reading of my BG levels now. It wants to update before it will work. I called Dexcom and the rep said they are getting complaints.

But you are being forced to update to the newest version. That is pure Dexcom and now I feel like they are just being controlling. I am really unhappy with Dexcom. Is this disease not hard enough for them to decide what we should have show up on OUR phones as alerts.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly, it is all about the control and bleeding us for as much money as they can get. ugh!

Yeah, I feel bad for our kitties with their sensitive ears! If it hurts my ears I can imagine how it feels to them. :disappointed:

I’ve been wondering about the Libre 2 for my hubby who has Type 2 and could benefit from additional info and doesn’t like to finger stick everyday. You found it pretty annoying though, eh? But fairly accurate?

1 Like

I found there is a version of xDrip that works for Apple phones. Would you be willing to try that?

(xDrip4iOS)

Many here use xDrip on Android, including me. It is far superior to dexcom app.

1 Like

@MM1 Yes, but I am not computer literate? About a month ago I tried their step by step process. But when you are not used to any of it, some of it is not that easy to understand? So I kept looking up terms etc and got through it. The 3 parts said the accounts were set up fine, but when I went to connect them to NightScout I got an error message. NightScout has fixes listed for error messages but then the problem became it was very technical at that point, at least to me ,and not a clue what they were talking about. So I removed what I could in regards to the 3 set ups, thinking that eventually I would start from scratch again. I tried the CGM in the cloud which is supposed to be able to help, but it took a couple of weeks to get the response to join and by then I had given up and started erasing things.

I got a notice that Heroku is going to start charging monthly, so I am thinking about using TPal instead and it sounds like they just about do everything for you? At least hopefully so!

But yes, XDrip seems to be the answer.

1 Like

XDrip has many options, but my Android setup is just a simple receiver, no share or cloud. Was thinking you could start with that. Thanks for sharing you already tried it!!

I only had it on for maybe two weeks and I could not tell you if it was definitely more accurate they were time it was very off for me and there’s no way to calibrate it I think. Maybe libre three can be calibrated.

The sound of the alarm was very loud and annoying to me but I think someone here said if you’re using an android phone you could change it maybe? If you can get a sample of the newest version of the libre three it’s definitely worth trying it to see if he likes it. My CDE only had a sample of the libre two I don’t know what the difference is for the libre three p, maybe it can be calibrated and is a real CGM and doesn’t have to be swiped. I found the swiping very annoying because you have to hold your phone over it it’s just a pain in …. and a lot of the time it didn’t work and I had to keep redoing it. However it was nice to have a back up for when my Dexcom was on the blink.

Yes I think mostly my kitties are OK but that libre alarm and the new ding ding ding seems to be too shattering to them. My Wizard who passed away in 2016 was almost like a CGM because he always came right next to me to help often before I even knew my blood sugar was low.

2 Likes