New diabetic with stage 3 CKD and pretty confused

Thanks Tim. It really does.

I still donā€™t enjoy cooking, but I am getting used to it.
Keeping it simple. I like Salmon so I eat that regularly with my vegetable mix.
Various egg options in the AM. Sometime just a banana and energy bar.
Need to keep taking my meds 3x day with meals.
Getting used to a couple of Greek Yogurt options. Never thought Iā€™d say that.

So, to answer your question, not as difficult any more, just inconvenient and necessary. Sticking with it though. Next labs in 3 months.

1 Like

Just remember that bananas are very high in potassium. I do not eat bananas at all.

I donā€™t eat many. Moderation. My potassium numbers arenā€™t bad.
Doctor says ok. With so many foods I canā€™t eat, itā€™s good to be able to eat others. Going to stick to my plan unless numbers change for the worse.

Good idea. Always follow your drs or dietitianā€™s advice. :slight_smile:

That is great news. My eGFR numbers have always fluctuated, as low as 52 during chemo. But now back into the 70-80s. The POC (point of contact) tests usually came back lower than those at the labs. You are heading in the right direction.

I think the thing what confuses me the most is upon researching CKD after being diagnosed stage 3, I was led to believe CKD is not reversible. It can be slowed or stopped, but would never improve. Which I took to mean the best I will ever be is stage 3 if I can stop the progress. I was also under the impression that the eGFR was the determining number of Kidney function in which the diagnosis is based.
That all being the case, if my eGFR # goes back up, does that mean my kidney function increases, which means it is reversible?
If not, what other number precisely measures your Kidney disease?
Now Iā€™m happy with the new numbers but confused about what Iā€™ve learned about CKD.

I sent them the report and think they will not only pleased with my progress, but also with themselves for steering me in the right direction. I know my health care RN coordinator is thrilled and canā€™t wait to present the latest news with her bosses. I made her day.

My thoughts are to primarily focus on great BG control/A1C and diet, as that will stop the progression. After 50+ years T1D, itā€™s the thing I have most success controlling, especially with the tools we have today.

1 Like

Thanks. I will do that.
I do need to improve my BG numbers. Not hateful but could be better. Getting used to this new life sooner than I expected. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks when he has to learn.

Are you on an ace inhibitor ? Such as Altace. I have been on that for 30 years, starting when my kidney numbers started to go down, and it did stabilize.

I have an older uncle that has been border line stage 3/4, for many years, and stable, so I know itā€™s possible for kidneys to keep on chugging even with low numbers. His is not related to diabetes.

No ace inhibitors. Doc says not good for me due to CKD and conflict with other meds. Canā€™t take metformins either because of Kidneys.
My BG numbers also seem to be reversed from others Iā€™ve seen. Morning 110-150, 2 hr evening 86-136. Most Iā€™ve read from others have those numbers reversed.
Currently take Tradjenta and Repaglinide pills for diabetes control.
Doing fine though. Getting used to the new life as a diabeticc with CKD.
My recent blood test shows AiC dropped as did eGFR. BG still about the same.

2 Likes

The key issue is to slow the progress of the kidney disease, and it is good you have some room to maneuver, since dialysis doesnā€™t need to start until you reach stage 5. The most important thing to do is to buy a home blood pressure monitor and check your blood pressure frequently, trying to keep it as low as possible. Weight loss, exercise, and salt restriction can help with this, and ideally you should keep it in the 120/70 range. I eat a completely salt-free diet and it doesnā€™t bother me at all, since I find it brings out the real taste of food that used to be obscured by the constant smothering effect of salt.

Not to be pessimistic, but in case things donā€™t go well, it is best to ensure well ahead of time that you canvas friends and family to see who would be willing to be a kidney donor if you ever need one, and then to have them tested for blood and antigen types to find out if they are compatible with you. The problem when most people wind up on dialysis is that they have to wait for a new kidney from a deceased donor, but the wait for one is so long that most patients deteriorate from the dialysis treatment to the point that they are no longer medically eligible for a transplant by the time one becomes available.

I can only hope I am slowing the progress. I guess I wonā€™t really know until the next blood test in about 2 months.
I have actually owned a blood pressure monitor for years. I bought it a few years after I was diagnosed with COPD and just before my cancer. Iā€™ve been diagnosed with high blood pressure for about 5 years now.
My first monitor was a wrist style. My doctor doesnā€™t like them. He feels they are not as accurate, so I bought a arm style about a year ago. My blood pressure is currently in a normal/acceptable range consistently. I know this is partly because of the blood pressure meds I take daily.
In fact, I realize that many numbers related to my blood pressure, diabetes and CKD have stabilized somewhat, or improved a good part due to the medications I regularly take. I know that should I stop those meds then these numbers could drastically change (for the worst) even if I eat well or exercise.
As far as weight goes, Iā€™ve currently lost about 16 lbs since my high 6 months ago. I do eat a lot healthier. I am counting all the numbers I need to count and NO SALT added to any meal. Of course, many foods have sodium content, but I keep it down as much as possible and well below my daily allowed range.
I have fully accepted my life as a diabetic with CKD.
I also know that I can structure my existence so I do have to give everything up forever. I have come up with my 90/10 (or 93/7) rule. I eat 3 meals a dayā€¦healthy. I figure thatā€™s 90 meals a month. I figure that I can go off my stringent numbers and eat outside the bubble for 9 meals a moth AT MOST. Doesnā€™t mean I will. But when I do, I scatter the events.
Example, I may feel like having a sub sandwich or an ice cream sundae. So I do. I know it probably has more carbs, salt, fats, sugars etc than I should have but I also cut back on those a bit on other meals that day. I DONā€™T go overboard, but do it in moderation.
This way I can keep to my nutritional needs and still enjoy and participate in my old life as I feel the need. I do avoid my old fast food habits though.
So far it works for me. I donā€™t find myself a nutritional prisoner.
My numbers do reflect that what I do is OK.
As far as dialysis, well Iā€™m 61 and hope if I do get to that point while still alive then I hope to be much older. Family history does look good for me there anyway. Figuring 11-15 years left at most, but hoping for longer. At that age anyway, it would probably be time for me to leave should it come down to a transplant. I couldnā€™t take a kidney from an older family member and frankly wouldnā€™t want a younger one to give it up for me and what little time I would have left at that point.
Who knows, my view may change, but Iā€™ll cross that bridge if I get to it. I am not afraid to die. Donā€™t want to, but not afraid.
For now, Iā€™m fine. I take 1 day at a time. I educate myself and keep everything in moderation.

4 Likes

How are your numbers now? Hoping to increase my egfr as well

How long have you been diagnosed

Glad to hear you have increased your gfrā€¦how long did it take?