New diabetic with stage 3 CKD and pretty confused

When I was diagnosed T2DM, I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure and told to stick to a 1000mg/day sodium limit. This can be done with a lot of fresh vegetables and fresh fruits (do be careful: some fruits will spike some PWD; I’m lucky in that my body still reacts fairly “normally” to them), plain nonfat Greek yogurt (add a bit of cinnamon for flavor), eggs and egg whites (while the yolks have all the fat and cholesterol, they also have the flavor — and sometimes you need the flavor and/or fats to make the dish behave correctly), and if you can handle it, high-protein pastas (bean pasta, chickpea pasta, soy pasta, etc.).
There are also many no-salt-added (not always low-sodium) food products and sodium-free seasoning mixes out there if you don’t like mixing up herbs and spices yourself.
There are a number of tricks for lowering the sodium content of prepared foods.The Everything Low-Salt Cookbook by Pamela Rice Hahn (Adams Media, ©2004, ISBN 159337044x) has a lot of good tips and tricks. Revisiting Whittney’s post, one of my great finds upon initial diagnosis in 2002 was The Salt Solution by Herb Boynton, Mark F. McCarty, and Richard D. Moore, MD, PhD (Avery, ©2001, ISBN 1583330852); the big connection there was sodium-potassium. Their premise was that one way to counteract high blood pressure, T2DM, and high cholesterol (among other issues) was not just to limit sodium, but to increase potassium intake — preferrably by switching to a mostly fresh-plant diet.

Some caveats, though:

• I like the high-protein pastas because I need the protein without the extra calories, but I realize that your kidneys may not be able to handle large amounts of protein.

• Many fruits and vegetables have high water contents — which is what keeps their glycemic indices low. The water content may be incompatible with your kidney and bladder issues; consult your doctors.

• Similarly, your kidney issues may require you restrict your mineral intake. IIRC, hyperkalemia (too much potassium in the bloodstream) can be an effect of CKD. (In which case, please throw out completely the ideas of Boynton, McCarty, and Moore.) Again, please consult your doctors.

• While you said you dislike cooking at home and from scratch, it is pretty much the only way to observe a strict low-sodium diet; self-education (get a hold of a good online foods database that lets you track the micronutrients in foods) is one of the few ways of learning what sort of foods might be “good” for you, which ones to take in moderation, and which ones to avoid at all costs.

2 Likes

Thanks Whittney with 2 t’s
I will check out Pinterest. Sounds interesting.

I’m now looking at my lab numbers to try and understand what they all mean. I’ve had so many blood tests over the last 3 years that I just look for the words: High, Low, Abnormal, etc and then let the doctor sort it out. But now it seems I have to be more aware and understand what they mean and maybe what effects them.

I guess this is somewhat of the same philosophy as when I quit smoking and would help the newbies along who are struggling. One of the things I told them is they need to find the best tool(s) that work for them to quit and stick with it. The only thing was, when they stopped smoking they were aware of it and soon saw benefits with so many things. With CKD I have no clue if it is better or worse. Diabetes has the blood sugar tests.

Glad to hear things are going well with your daughter. I have a cousin who is now 57. He was diagnosed as diabetic when he was 5. I haven’t seen him in more than 30 years, but he’s still out there. He is at the worst level of diabetes which includes organ failures. He’s been on a list waiting for multiple transplants and as I understand is in dialysis 5 days a week. I think as he grew up with this it was much easier for him to experience all the misery caused by these changes and see them as normal for him.

I will continue to work with my doctor and nutritionist (as long as I have insurance) to get me a little more comfortable with new routines.
Thanks for the thoughts and advice. They are all welcome.

I’ll look into those books. Thanks.
I have high blood pressure too, along with high cholesterol, low vitamin D and B12 (all of which I am medicated for). They are now back in line as long as I take the meds. Had 36 consecutive weeks of B12 injections. Still on 100,000 units of Vitamin D each week.
I think Potassium is an issue with me according to the doc, but not sure just how big an issue.

Reading online they say cantaloupe is bad. Thought that would be good.
Told to eliminate pasta, Potatoes, rice, white bread, most cheese, beans (like baked beans etc) from my diet altogether. Many other things as well and now as I read labels more and more items go on the list. Been told I can have all the watermelon I want. But you can only have so much of that.

Been trying to eat Greek Yogurt, but never had a taste for it. But still have one on occasion.
Looks like I have so much to learn. I just hope I make it long enough to do so.

I would love a list of foods (specific) I can eat which works for both the diabetes and CKD and a list of foods (specific), as you said, from my doc or nutritionist. Then I can make an attempt to combine them for a variety of passable meals. I would have said enjoyable, but that ship has sailed.

Hi tmana----How lovely to encounter you here! I hope all is well, with you and yours. We’re getting ready to move for the first time in 27 years, so we’re a little crazy right now—but the move will be good once it’s done…

1 Like

Why would cantaloupe be bad? Does it spike you? Does it have too much potassium for you?

I’ve pretty much given up WHITE grain-based foods. Whole-grain (or legume) pasta, brown and wild rice, etc. Most bread is ridiculously high in sodium, but I find I can make homemade, whole-grain yeast breads without the salt, and they work out fine. (Of course, bread-baking is an all-day process…)

While cottage cheese is a great high-protein, low-fat food, ricotta is far lower in sodium and for me, often a better choice. (That said, I’m still a fan of cheese; I just don’t get it that often because it’s expensive and I’m the only one in the family who enjoys them.)

There are recipes for low-sodium, low-sugar baked beans (starting with dry beans). It’s a long, involved process, but the results are quite tasty.

In the process of transforming my diet, I learned to eat many foods and nutriceuticals that were barely tolerable, tastewise. Some, I’ve acquired a taste for; others, I’ll take only if I absolutely HAVE to. It always seems rough at the start, but your tastebuds do adapt…

1 Like

I wish I could tell you. some sites (most) say fruit is good while others specifically say melons or cantaloupe should be avoided.
That’s the problem and some of the confusion I am having at this point. Doctor say 1 thing, nutritionist another and websites another. Guess I will just take my chances.

Stopped using salt. Uuuugh. I really miss that seasoning on food. Trying to get used to “Bland”.
Doc was specific about NO Bean, No Pasta, No soy products, No rice, but maybe brown rice in moderation.

Thant’s another thing. Serving sizes. I know toddlers who eat larger portions. Who decides these sizes (per packaging anyway), birds?

2-3 oz meat portions. That is utterly ridiculous. If 1 portion consists of 22g carbohydrates, then at least a 6 oz. portion will be all the carb intake for that meal I’m allowed. Then I have to wait for the next meal. And in the same breath they tell me don’t starve yourself. Can I eat additional things which have no carbs with it and still be OK? So many questions.

I may just eat what I feel like (in line with approved foods) in portions I want and just not worry. If things get bad, then they get bad. I’ll deal with those issues if they arise. Got everything in order personally.

But 1 thing is for sure, if I don’t like the taste of something it will never be consumed again. I got my taste buds back after I quit smoking only now to find that everything I eat isn’t worth tasting. I know I seem out of control, but it’s been a short time since I was given my prognosis and ordered to change my entire existence. Not a happy camper yet.
I was happier when I was sick, didn’t know it and ate what and when and as much as I wanted. I never should have seen that first doctor after getting my insurance.
Sorry, just another rant. Haven’t found my rhythm yet. I know 1 day I will, but I have never been a patient person.
Thanks for listening (reading).

For the benefit of anyone who isn’t aware, cantaloupe is indeed a very high-potassium food. I had to swear off it for that very reason.

1 Like

That makes sense.
Even though my potassium numbers are OK I guess I will say goodbye to cantaloupe.

If your potassium numbers are fine, that’s not a reason to give it up (unless there is another, different factor in play, of course). There’s plenty of nutrition there. In my case my potassium was way too high so I had to make a number of changes; that was just one.

1 Like

I am also type 2 and stage 3 CKD. One of the best places to go is Davita.com . They have all kinds of info about CKD, including recipes for both people with diabetes and CKD. You will learn lots about CKD. I wish you the best.

1 Like

Hi Les
I have browsed that site before but never signed up. Just went there again and decided to register. Will spend some time there in the future. I also signed up for a local Kidney Smart Class in my area. This may help sort out some information for me. Don’t know what to expect. Hope it is not just a ploy to sell you their services like those free trips offered by time-share.

I really need to just sort out the food. What can I eat, what can’t I eat, how much, how often, snacks?
Something easy for those who hate and can’t cook. I am alone so if I don’t do it, no one else will. Can I go out to eat? If so, where and what can I order?
What happens if I east something I’m not supposed to? Maybe a sub sandwich or maybe a fast food burger (haven’t had for a long while). What damage will I cause.

Yup, still so many questions.
My doctor says I have stage 3 CKD (and diabetes) with very little advice except to stop eating everything I like and start exercising, followed by my healthcare nurse coordinator. Have seen a dietician once for a 1-1/2 hour initial consultation. Now I’m pretty much on my own to figure it all out.

Now I’m here and feeling better about my new situation, but still trying to sort it out. Yes, I will go slowly, take my time and not panic.

I too have type 2 and CKD. I am 72 and was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 69. Six months ago I was diagnosed with CKD. I have had an eGFR as low as 32, but my last labs put my eGFR at 70.

Since I was diagnosed with diabetes, I have been following Dr. Bernstein eating low carb high protein. CKD seemed a real problem for me. What can I eat after my doctor told me to eat low protein (less than 1 g/kg/day - the kg is my weight in kilograms) and limit potassium while also keeping low carb? The answer I came up with is to eat more fat.

To help manage I use a program call chronometer which keeps track of both macronutrients and micronutrients. I now keep my carbs around 30 g/day and my protein is averaging 0.7 g/kg/day. My potassium and sodium are both averaging 1200 mg/day. My macro ratios are averaging 7% protein, 10% carbs, and 83% fat.

CKD has been a huge shock for me since I thought that I was doing well (glucose generally below 100 and A1Cs from 4.5 to 5.2). I credit my improving eGFR to my diet and exercise (10000 steps/day along with strength training at the gym). It is tough to limit protein, keep my carbs low, and restrict potassium and I was puzzled at first, but now using chronometer to keep track of how I am doing throughout the day and choosing fat as an option I now feel like I have the means to manage both diabetes and CKG.

I am leaving out lots of details so if you have questions just ask.

To give you an example of what I eat. My typical day starts with one egg with .75 oz. cream. Then for lunch, I have either 1 oz. cottage cheese or whole milk yogurt with 4 oz. cream. For dinner, I have 2-3 oz. meat with low carb vegetables. For a snack, I make real ice cream with 4 oz. cream and 1 oz. low carb fruit (currently blueberries, blackberries, strawberries).

2 Likes

I have to give you a lot of credit on the chronometer program. I don’t have the patience to record that info. My nutritionist said 3 meals a day with no more than 45g carbs. Wanted me to eat more protein foods. Now I read too much protein is bad for this condition. Less than 4g of fat a meal (been told I have to lose weight) and less than 300g sodium/meal (900 day). She never mentioned calories or potassium.

Congrats on raising your eGFR.Mine is at 54 with an A1C of 6.9.

Looks like you have your diet figured out. Wish I could eat like that. Your whole daily meal is less than I’d eat at 1 sitting alone. I’m not going to count ounces, at least not yet. I can’t see myself doing that. I’m just going to wing it. Used to like ice cream, but told no. I’m probably still in somewhat denial and absolutely in confusion.

I’m hoping my Smart Kidney class will help. I scheduled it for a week prior to my next nutritionist appointment. Maybe she will give me definitive answers. I’m sure though, even after meeting with her I will still have some other options. It’s a wait and see.

Before all this I had no idea what a eGFR, A1C, COPD, CKD and so many other acronyms meant. Now I’ve learned or am continuing to learn. I finished college in 1978, thought I was done going to school.

1 Like

Keep in mind that I am a small guy when I describe what I eat. I weigh 129 lbs. and am 5 feet 5.5 inches tall.

My diet is ketogenic, which means that my body is ‘running’ on fat rather than glucose. It’s a great way to loose weight as well as to control blood glucose. I was nearing 200 when I was diagnosed a little over three years ago I started to eat a ketogenic diet. I lost 60 lbs. within three months.

Potassium and other electrolytes are often restricted with CKD because the kidneys no longer remove excess from the blood. This also potentially goes for other waste in the blood including protein, uric acid, … I have already been diagnosed with both hypercalcemia and hyperkalemia so I took my doctor’s recommendation seriously. Both these conditions can cause death.

That’s what led me to using chronometer to track micronutrients. Using rules of thumb such as eat this or don’t eat this are too imprecise. And the same goes for protein. Until I started using chronometer, I would have guessed that I was already eating a low protein diet (50g/day). That guess was way off. I now estimate that I was eating around 150g/day or more than 300% of what I need. Now I am eating an average of 34 g/day or 0.6 g/kg/day.

As I said, I have to give you credit. Even more. to lose 60 pounds and keep it off is huge. I know so many who have lost the weight only to put it back on and more.
As for me, I’m only 5’7" and 194 lbs. Doc says I need to lose 30. Haven’t been that light since college (1978). I agree, I need to lose some but maybe 20.

Never into diets. I have absolutely no discipline in that area. Also, never been a big eater. As I am alone, I may make a simple meal (or food) once a day and maybe snack at times during when I get hungry. I don’t have a sweet tooth. I never (since high school) ate 3 meals a day. Now, due to medication instructions I have to eat 3 a day to take the meds. I expect eating more adds more weight.

I used to eat a lot more at a sitting but as I got older my eyes have become bigger than my stomach instead of the other way around. Always beef a meat (beef) and potato man with pasta thrown in. I just find it hard to eat what and how they want me to. At the front of all the paperwork provided on diet it says “don’t starve yourself”. But that’s what it seems they want me to do. I’m going, kicking and screaming.

Can’t even drink those power (or whatever they call them - boost) shakes. Tried some when I was early in my smoking quit faze but couldn’t take them. thought they were horrible.

My glucose seems to be in check under my current medication, blood pressure is OK, but don’t know my other current numbers until the doc send me for more bloodwork, I can only hope, though not eating in smaller portions, but in line with acceptable foods that my numbers are stable (or improving).

I have a long road ahead and hope to find my system before I lose my insurance.

Hi Garry,
At the beginning, I had a lot of trouble with hypoglycemia and crashing. I have to make sure I eat complex carbs, but now it has changed to more highs. However, I have a CGM and if I watch what my blood sugar is doing, I can keep things pretty level. One thing I found was that if I have one apple everyday for breakfast my sugar stays stable until lunch time. Before that I was eating oatmeal (dr said so for my heart) and would always crash before lunch. The oatmeal never pushed my sugar high. The apple has worked wonders, I am surprised. That is all I have for breakfast most mornings. I eat peanuts for snack…about a quarter cup both mid morning and mid afternoon. As far as my CKD is concerned, the only thing I was told foodwise was to cut out the sodium. As I make my own food, I cut out all salt and got ill from it as we need some salt in our diet. My dr. chuckled and said, we say that thinking that most people eat out 3 or 4 times a week, but yes you need some salt in your diet. Also try to stay away from highly processed foods. Nothing much will happen if you have a sub sandwich or a fast food burger once in awhile. Just use common sense and maybe have a 6 inch sub instead of a 12 inch. Have a small order of fries instead of a large, etc. You have to enjoy life. Just don’t be eating too much bread, pasta, or potatoes. The best potatoes are the yellow ones…best for diabetes. Also watch your potassium and phosphorus, don’t eat a lot of bananas. But the best thing is to follow your dr and dietitian’s advice. Just remember, everything in moderation. Some fruit can cause your blood sugar to soar, so just experiment and see what you can eat and what you shouldn’t based on your own blood sugar readings. Besides my CGM, I check my blood sugar at least 3 times a day. Morning, noon and bedtime. I have a program on my computer where I enter the information that can later be made in charts, etc and printed off for your dr. It’s from: Môj Softvér Pre Zdravie Je Najlepším Webom Pre Programátor A Technické Správy., Január 2023
Try that, I really like it and they have software for other things too, I have one that monitors my asthma and there are ones that monitor heart conditions, etc. Highly recommend it.
All the best!

1 Like

Hi Les
My diabetes is like Diabetes-lite compared to many. I only have to check my levels a couple of time a week. Seems like my pills prescribed along with my watching my diet is keeping things in check.
I spend a lot of time reading every label and checking numbers on practically everything I buy/eat. My diet is predicated more on my CKD than my diabetes, though both are considered when I eat anything. But, there are more things I can’t eat because of CKD even though they’d be OK for diabetes. No Potatoes, No Pasta. No canned foods, No White Breads, No processed meats.
Have just found tuna with no phosphorus. Didn’t know they offered that. The nutritionist from my Kidney Smart Class led me to them.
It’s funny how now when I walk into the supermarket I find that 97% of what they offer, I can no longer eat. You would think that with all the diabetics and CKD patients someone would open a food friendly grocery chain (an restaurants) catering to us. I think it would be a gold mine. There are millions of us out there and it would be great to walk into a store where 97% of what they carry, I would want and could eat. I know some people don’t want others to know what we are suffering from. Too bad, nothing to be ashamed of. There are many out there suffering from these things and don’t know it.
Knew someone recently who died because of diabetic shock and never knew they were diabetic because he never would see a doctor. His son found him. No on knew of the disease till after he died. Doubt if he even knew. He’d be alive today had he been checked.
Oh, by the way, the class was very informative and interactive. Learned a lot. Some contradictions with my other nutritionist and medical people, but nothing major.
I was honest and told them I may cheat from time to time. Nothing major, maybe once or twice a month. I may want a sub or some Chinese food or a burger. They cringed a bit, but I think, like you, nothing much will happen. Everything in moderation.
I do eat fresher now. I’ve cooked for myself more in the last 4 weeks than over the last 60 years. I mean actual meals, not just a burger or macaroni. I’ve surprised myself and even them. I took pictures of my meals. They were impressed. In fact, eating this was has helped me lose weight with little extra effort. About 11 pound in 4 weeks so far.
Still eating larger portions than they like me too, but lost of veggies. They encourage that. My proteins in moderation and been monitoring my carb intake.
Have an apple (Red Delicious) daily or maybe twice a day.
Go for new blood work tomorrow and will see if my program is working or what I need to adjust. Want to see the results. I hate not knowing. They have a glucose test we can take at home to check our levels and adjust, but you can only find out what’s happening with your CKD through a blood test. I’ve asked the Doc to authorize one at least every 3 months, not 6.
Been a busy week so far. Monday the Nutritionist, Tuesday my new Urologist to monitor my Bladder Cancer Treatment, tomorrow blood work. It’s no wonder I even have time to work for a living.
Oh well, it is what it is.
Stay well.

Got pretty good news today. At least I think.
Got my lab results from my blood work last week and a few numbers showed considerable improvement since making the nutritional changes to my life, after being diagnosed diabetic and CKD.

My A1c went from 6.9 to 5.5,
My eGFR went from 57 to 65 (didn’t know it could do that (stage 3 back to stage 2).
And so far I’ve lost 11 pounds.

That report has made a number of my medical people very happy. Me too. But I think they are more impressed than me.

1 Like

Congrats !!!

Certainly nice when effort pays off !!!

That’s fantastic Garry! Have you found the new diet to be as difficult as you first thought?