New Doc want to see me evey three months

This is the first doctor who insisted on visits 4 times a year and I don't see that it would be medically necessary for me but I would go monthly if necessary.

Makes good sense. Doctors and patients are partners and need to work together for the benefit of the patient.

Excellent points!

Insurance companies are not doctors and make it difficult for us to get enough strips to do our job as patients for example. I am with my diabetes 24 hrs. a day and observe what it's doing and whether it requires a test. I do follow Dr. the Dr. Berstein diet and try do essential reading and try to educate myself as much as possible. I think the right doctor is hard to find but I'll keep trying.

This paternalistic attitude doesn't exist in all countries. I can only speak to the other one I've lived in: Guatemala. I could buy any "prescription" drug over the counter with no need for doctor's script. I could order any lab test at the lab and return for the results a couple days later. The lab values showed me if I was out of range and I could then choose to go see a doctor to discuss it. I didn't need an appointment to see my primary care doctor; I just appeared at his office during office hours. I tried to be first in line because I knew if there were a few people ahead of me I would have a long wait because he gave people the time they needed. I know the regulars get tired of this story but I think it gives perspective to those who are raised in the U.S. and used to the infantalizing medical system here. I'd be curious to hear if the system I describe is common in any other developed countries, or only developing ones. Europeans?

1 Like

Things in spain are a mixed bag. bureaucracy makes it difficult (read: impossible) to get enough strips in order to lead an active lifestyle or one that is spontaneous, exercise and food-wise. three a day have to be supplemented with ones i buy at walmart when in the usa.

if i wanted to, i could buy my insulin without presription from the pharmacy (full price, but still pretty cheap, compared to the usa, i think. 75 euros for 5 300ml levemir pens? is that cheap?)

i have an endo that i now see every six months. its not very helpful because she is also, like someone mentioned above, like a medical stenographer, tapping my answers to her questions into the computer. she is very pleasant, though not very knowledgeable on "new" diabetes technology-she told me if i had a pump that i would still have to inject with basal. i just didnt even correct her. the only thing that could help me would be if she could get me more strips or a pump and she cant, as theres no money.

she is very easygoing. she saw me every 3 months for like the first 18 months and now just twice a year. if my quarterly a1c is ever higher than 7, she asks that i call and make an earlier appt.

my nurse is a bit pushier. if she shes me at the clinic getting blood drawn or getting test a1c results from my gp she wants me to make an appt to see her even if nothing is wrong.

here you have to get the strip prescrip from your diabetes nurse. i recently went to get my scrip for strips renewed (once annually) and had a sub nurse, as mine was on holiday. he gave me the scrip first for six months, i said, no, its annual. he wanted me to see my nurse because it was like i was missing her with her on holiday. i convinced him to do a yearly one but he made me take another appt with my nurse at the end of october so i can get a flu shot from my nurse and touch base with her. i said no, she comes to my neighbourhood community centre one morning during the flu shot season. i still had an appt with her when i left for the end of oct, which i will cancel.

so, at least for me, here in seville, the nurses are the ones that are kind of bossy.

Thanks, pancreas! I always find it interesting to see differences by country.

I never got an answer to this from Katy: I was told that Medicare required PWD to go every three months so I've been doing that since I started Medicare. Does that vary by state? I was also wondering if that rule is just Type 1 or includes Type 2 as well. I have a Type 2 friend who was visiting this week and she said she hasn't been told that yet (she just started Medicare)

I actually, finally, have a great healthcare team. It took a while, but I'm very happy. I can't count the number of docs I've fired because they failed to understand who was in charge.

With all of my other health issue, I see docs more often than most.

It's great when the docs listen to, and honestly answer, questions while at the some time encouraging personal research on my part.

About a year prior to starting on the pump, we realized that the, then current, treatment regime was just not working (and a big red flag that I was Type 1 and not Type 2) my doctor asked me what I wanted to do.

I did a bunch of research, and at my next appointment told him which insulins I was going to take, how often and how much of each.

He just smiled and wrote out the Rx!

My doctors call me 'weird' but in reality, they like it. I'm not your average (attitude-wise, nor health-wise) patient and I'm extremely well informed and well in tune with my body's reactions. It challenges them - to the benefit of each of us.

Something simple and straight forward for most folks, just isn't for me. Latest example: A very common nasal steroid had me in the ER 48 hours after starting it, with extremely elevated blood pressure and blood sugar!

My primary care doc is Chief of Staff at my hospital and my Cardio is Chief of Cardiology. That helps.

Hi Zoe!I not aware that Medicare Advantage plans or even original Medicare requires a PWD to see a doctor 4 times a year. You could call the member services # in your area and ask. For some 4 times a year may be good.

I might concede the term "partner" to characterize my doctor/patient relationship as long as the doc sees me as senior partner ;-).

Hi Terry, That's what I meant.

I have the bloodwork done every 3 months because I want to keep track of my own A1C, but only see the doctor once a year. There's never anything to talk about, it seems to just be a formality.

Hi Jan, That's understandable.

Hi Terry, I agree.

Hi Terry, My attitude has changed also.

HIi brboyer, I am looking for a health team like yours.

Hi Br Broyer, Good care seems to be a crap shoot.

Hi Don, Too bad this proper care business is but a game.

Hi Don Excellent points