New Doc want to see me evey three months

Hi Artwoman, You will be alright. One good thing about diabetes is that we can manage and control our disease and it's hard to find a doctor who can help us along and sometimes the insurance defeats our purpose. I have done a lot of essential reading, tried to educate myself, visit forums and sometimes I'm still baffled.

I see my PCP every 3 months. I've never bothered to find out whether he would insist on it, because I do.

Leaving aside the fact that it is the standard of care (which it is), an awful lot can happen in 3 months, as someone mentioned above, and I want that A1c every 90 days. I pretty much self manage my diabetes and I want those numbers.

That said . . . different strokes fit different folks. At the end of the day, no one else can manage your diabetes for you; no one knows your body as you do, and no one else is there 24x7. Ultimately you must be your own expert. Each of us must do what works for us; the above is what works for me.

Hi Karen, A1C is just an average and it may or may not reveal what it should. Getting checked twice a year should nip most problems in the bud and if I needed to get tested and visit the doc every three months I would not hesitate to do so.

Hi Sam, Right now I am questioning what I think are the benefits of excess appointments and blood draws.

Zoe, my reason for pointing any of the quotes from .gov is that this is the only thing they say about the A1c test. Medicare has answers, you just have to call or go on line and find the answers as they pertain to you. Thank goodness that old rule is just gone, but it will likely still be a requirement pressed by docs and other insurance for some time before it is recognized as non existent on the Medicare coverage information. The only way to know if/when that changes is to watch it. The strip quantity rule is simply gone for now. Yay!

What I mean by the government aka Medicare is that the Medicare world is found at http://www.medicare.gov/ The .gov part is a dead give away - LOL.

I understand the need for some requirements to be sure, but not when they are costly and not necessary. I will admit that I have much better things to do than go to the doc for no reason. I also know that the A1c is how many diabetics do measure their control and that's fine. That number does not tell me if it's okay to head out on a hike though.

HI David, I am in complete agreement with your message.

So why do you all “have to go” ? If you don’t feel it’s beneficial? How is insurance or Medicare able to force the issue?

Hi Sam, I don't feel that every 3 months is beneficial for me but others are happy with every 3 months and you are right my Medicare insurance does not force this issue. With others insurance may have a say so.

Right. But your original post suggested that the need did not make sense to you. I was just agreeing. I've been doing diabetes for decades, and if I had to go the the doc every three months I would need to get some better insurance.

Thanks, but I still get angry when my 30+ years of successfully managing diabetes is brushed away. I've been dealing with it longer than a lot of these docs have been practicing medicine. They are often so quick to see one rogue number after downloading the data, and ignore the many days of "flatlines" where a patient is in range. I think if I had gone on and finished my med school plans and gone into Endocrinology, having type 1 would be in my description a to my practice!

Hi Karen, I agree with you. My Medicare Advantage plan does not require every 3 months but my new doctor made it clear that he wants me to come every 3 months.

Hi Artwoman, Sometimes the Lab results are not accurate and repeat testing would be necessary but the numbers are sometimes not questioned by doctors.
Also you have been sucessfully managing for 30 years and are on top the game.

I’d just make it clear back that you aren’t interested in seeing him every three months. And suggest the alternative that you are interested in…

Thanks Sam, I asked him why every 3 months and he said because he is a type 2 diabetic. Not a good reason. He also said my other doctors did not care and allowed me to visit twice a year. My decision now is to find another doctor because I don't want to struggle or fight. Just managing and controlling my diabetes is enough and I know 2 extra visits a year will not damage my health but why waste the time and money. I hope I can find a doctor Iam comfortable with.

Good for you Katy! Your doctor saying that your past providers "did not care" is interesting and says more to me about him than those uncaring others. I would not make another appointment just for that.

You've been managing and controlling your diabetes for a good long time and your A1c does indicate you are doing a good job. So, do find a doc who cares more about your medical record and ability to take care of your condition. I have found such in all the places I've lived so I am sure it is possible.

Thanks Katy, Reviewing other opinions even those that differ from mine which I respect as well has helped me to think my decision through.

For me, not on Medicare, I was told every three months if I want to keep my pump. It really burns me (as you are well aware, you've read enough of my posts aka rants). It used to be okay to have a "phone" visit and I would be fine mailing my readings in. Scheduling an apt when I have a full day most of the time is a pain. I'm not new to this gig. Ooops there I go again!

Who told you this? I have a pump also and have for a long time. No three month rule has ever been required. Sorry you have to abide to keep the thing that keeps you well. Wow.

This conversation has me seriously considering bringing up this issue at my next apt -9/30. I'm curious as to the answers. I had an interesting "discussion" about the Endo's practice of requiring pumpers to "surrender" their pump when in hospital. Don't get that one at all - unless I was unconscious. and they had better reconnect me when I come to!. And... this makes it even more aggravating, they state that their D care will be IV with R insulin! Why not what I am using now in my pump? And are they going to review the settings to see what my basal us etc? Nope! Can't change Endo practices - it is what my insurance covers.

I am often amazed at the reaction so many of us get from our proactive approach to OUR diabetes. I would think the MD world would be happy. - A lot less work for them.

My health plan.