New endo didn't want her as patient because of Omnipod

I thought that I had heard everything, but this actually shocked me. I had heard of endo’s that push people towards one pump, usually Minimed, but had never been to one before. I am about out of choices for endo’s in this area and had to make this one work. She said that she only knew one pump and couldn’t help me with the Omnipod, so she couldn’t be her doctor. I then told her that I didn’t need her help with the Omnipod, and once she realized that she was not new to it and that I know what I am doing, she relaxed. She actually looked at the Dex printouts that I had and was very interested in them, hadn’t seen them before. She made a couple of suggestions on basal changes based on them and told me that I should work for a pump company, lol. It seemed as if she had not actually seen any patients with aic’s in the 5 range. I actually preferred the endo that we had been going to before, but she refused to put her on Armour thyroid, so we went endo shopping. The one we found was okay, but her office is totally messed up and I won’t take her back there again. This one was not crazy about the Armour either, but I did convince her to bump up the dose.

It seems like we are in the same boat. My endo told me: “We are a MM shop!”. I told her “I don’t need help. I am doing fine. I need someone to fill my prescription.”. She was skeptical at first. That is prudent behavior. I aced all the tests and my numbers speak for themselves. I meet her once a year. She always complements me and says: “I wish you could teach my other patients.”. I really like her and she seems to like me. I am do my thing and she does hers. I don’t fit the mold. She respects that and I love her for that.

Obviously don’t know you or your endo, but I’m a bit skeptical… Does that mean you only do tests (beyond BG) once a year? Things like HbA1C? I’m really doubtful that’s enough to base treatment decisions on, and would distrust a physician who was willing to do it.

Reports like these make me very thankful for our daughter’s endo. Before going on a pump, she insists that you attend a pump class put on by the practice’s CDEs. At the class, there are representatives from Minimed, Animas and Omnipod. It was great to get to see all of the major pumps and see my then 12 year old daughter process which pump she wanted to have. The staff makes it very clear that the choice is up to the patient and that they will support any of the three pumps

Well, that may explain part of the reason why she cancelled my appointment and refused to take me as a new patient. I was not impressed!! I’m assuming we are referring to the same Endo who came highly recommended.

Nancy, did she know that you were using the Omnipod? I am going to work with her, because I am out of options, but I really would not recommend her highly. The female doctor that we were seeing in Berkley is more knowledgeable in my opinion, but she refused to prescribe the thyroid meds that I wanted. This one would have also, but since she is already on Armour, she is dealing with it. If you don’t have thyroid problems, then I would suggest going to the large practice in Berkley.

I have another reason why she wouldn’t see me. I seriously wouldn’t want to work with any Endo that isn’t somewhat knowledgeable about the technologies available to diabetics. I think an Endo need to stay on top of what’s new to better serve their patients or they should get out of the business. I wonder if they would be better docs if they had to spend a week in our shoes ;o)

I agree that all endo’s should make themselves available to the reps from all of the companies in order to learn about each product. I would rather just stick with a pcp if I could find one that would deal with all of it. The one that we are seeing now will write the scripts but doesn’t want to deal with the Armour until she gets to a maintenance dosage. My son sees one that he likes, but she is not accepting new patients. She wrote the script for the Navigator for him even though she didn’t know much about it. We used to have one like that, but she keeps having babies and is very part time. I don’t trust the other doc in that practice because she missed my mom’s anemia, and it ultimately lead to her death.

I had my pcp prescribe my dexcom & omnipod and she had no idea what they were. I did my research and brought her in the forms and told her that this is what I want to help lower my A1C. I was really spoiled back home and was fortunate to work with some of the best Endos a diabetic could ever hope for. I’m disappointed with what I’ve encountered so far.

If you are not happy with the Royal Oak doc that you are going to see, you may want to call Dr. Sak… at Michigan Endo. The office staff are much to be desired, but she is a good doctor except for the thyroid. The issues that I had were with them saying that I canceled an appointment that I didn’t, and also leaving us in a room and forgetting about us. It is a huge practice though and if you know what to watch out for, you would be okay there I think. Of course I don’t know how good she would be helping manage a pregnancy.
There are probably good endo’s at U of M, but that is a drive.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for now and hoping that there is someone competent at Royal Oaks.

It’s a pain isn’t it. I would also recommend the Michigan Endocrinologists in Berkley. I’ve also gone through the gamut with seeing different Dr.s. I try and rely on just a couple of prerequisites. Do they listen to me, are they open to ideas (ie the Omnipod vs. other pumps) that I bring to them and have at least some knowledge of the product and (most important) are they willing to work with YOU not the other way around and last but not least, do they have a good sense of humor. I can tolerate busy offices, occasional mistakes and annoyances if the rest falls into place. If anyone finds that perfect Dr. in the perfect office in the perfect location, let me know but I don’t think it exists. I agree, Mary, Michigan Endo’s office staff aren’t the friendliest, except for the guy that takes your money, he’s very nice and also on the Omnipod and he’s given my good advice and contacts on many occasions. I have seen a couple of Docs there and I’m very happy. It’s really a gut thing, if something feel “wrong” then it’s probably wrong for you.

Hi Barb, I know which guy you are talking about, and Marsha has always been good too. I was wondering if he ever tried the Dexcom? He had tried the two others and there is some medical reason that they didn’t work well for him, I can’t recall. He thinks Dr. S is wonderful because she has helped him so much with his type 2, when no one else did for years.

That’s just crazy. How can a doctor think this is good her patients? I think it makes the endos life easier…one pump to learn, one company to deal with paperwork, one rep visiting, etc. but it sure isn’t good for the T1. It makes me sad that patients aren’t getting a voice in the process. I’m glad you were able to convince her you are self sufficient on the Pod and Dex. Your A1C is pretty good evidence that there are other great choices besides just Minimed.

I think that she is one of those people that feels that they are all pumps, and that is that. If it were not for needing this thyroid med, I would not go back. If I had not been able to convince her, I would have really been angry and let her know it. If they have that policy, then they should tell people when they call for a first appointment! She also told someone else from here that she could be a patient as soon as she found out she was 7 weeks pregnant. She obviously doesn’t want to work too hard, sigh.