New Here! Starting a Journey to lower the numbers!

Good morning everyone,

I am Type 2 and been taking oral medication for 15 years now. The doctor has changed the tablets a few times during these years and currently, I am on 2x1000mg Xigduo and 2 mg

The problem started a few months ago, when my numbers started to look bad:(

Last week my HbA1C was 7.7 ! And my doctor said if I cannot get the numbers under control, I will have to put on injection. And honestly, that doesn’t sound so good to me at all :frowning:

So, I decided to take things to my hand and do more for my health! I started eating low carb and doing more exercises. For the past 6 days, my numbers have been so good, I have never seen them like this before!

Fasting blood sugar levels are between 84 mg/dl - 127 mg/dl (Maximum)

I am quite happy with the results so far and I really would love to continue seeing these numbers. If I can have less than 6.1 HbA1c next time, it would be fantastic. I also would like to lose 5 kg weight by my next doctor visit, if possible. Now I weight 80 Kgs!

Glad I found this forum with a lot of resources and information! I hope to be part of this forum and share my journey. I am sure I will get help from you guys all to keep on working toward my goals.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!

3 Likes

Welcome! Sounds like you are taking things well into your own hands. If you continue as you are you will sure reach your weight loss goals and see much better levels.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. For quickest results on your weight and A1C, you may want to look at a low carb diet such as Keto. It may not be your long term total solution to keeping your weight and A1C numbers down but certainly the quickest way to get to your initial goals.

3 Likes

Thanks, @CJ114 for your reply. Yes, I started researching about Keto diet. Sounds good so far. I will look into it more and see If I can get a few meal ideas.

At the moment I am trying to limit the carbs to 10-50 per meal.

Checkout ditchthecarbs.com & lowcarbsimple.com & myketokitchen.com
for some easy quick to make recipes from cheesecake to Pizza
Easy No-Bake Lemon Cheesecake Recipe (Sugar-Free) – Ditch The Carbs: 3G NET
How To Make Fat Head Pizza Crust (Keto) – Ditch The Carbs

1 Like

Welcome to TuD, @nasalu! Congratulations on taking ownership of your health and doing something about it. Keep up your efforts, if you slack off then your numbers will reflect that. This is a long game, not a temporary effort.

I use a low carb, high fat way of eating to help control my T1D. I’ve read many stories about people with T2D, using a keto diet, have reversed all symptoms of diabetes while they have come off of all medications, including insulin. Google “Virta Health” and “Heal Clinics” for more info.

You may not be able to reduce your A1c to < 6.1 at your next appointment, but that goal is definitely reachable if you persist in your newly adopted eating habits.

I’ve been eating low-carb, high fat for seven years now. It is sustainable; don’t let anyone tell you differently! Good luck and please stay in touch.

1 Like

Thanks @Terry4 your reply.

I also came across a few articles about reversing diabetes and how some people have actually done it successfully. That is really inspiring. I will certainly google those terms you have mentioned.

As you said, the key is to persist on the new eating habits and the new lifestyle :slight_smile:

I thank you again for the warm welcome and for encouraging me to keep on doing what I have started!

1 Like

Hi all…

I was at the doctor yesterday and I am happy to say I reached my goal :slight_smile:

A1c = 5.8

I lost 10kgs during the past 3 months too.

Thanks for all your encouragement.

What worked for me was - Keto, IF, Exercise (walking, bicycle)

10 Likes

Awesome job - The human body is pretty amazing. Goals can often be reached pretty fast, one little incremental step at a time.

1 Like

Excellent work, @nasalu!

That’s a significant weight loss and it’s the hallmark of a keto, fasting, and exercise regimen. It’s your body’s way of telling you that it likes your new habits. Have you and/or your doctor considered reducing any of your meds?

2 Likes

Congratulations Nasalu!

After 55 years of type one, I also found that keto / IF / Walking worked for me too!

2 Likes

I am off the 2x 3mg Glimperid !!

My doctor wants that I continue on 2x1000mg Xigduo. Next checkup (in 3 months) If the numbers stay like this, he wants to reduce it to 1x1000mg per day.

Wow!! Welcome and congratulations. Way to go!!! You have given me a push to work on lowering my A1C. Tested last month and it was 7.2😒 Since I retired I have not been very careful.