New Here

Thanks for the answers. I spoke with my primary care doctor today and I like his attitude toward my (Our) way of thinking. He said that he would order the tests if my endo didn’t. I’m not sure he is as well versed in Diabetes care, but I like his stance. Today has been one of the first days I can remember my vision being clear… I think I’ve been like this for a while. I’m amazed how sharp everything is again. I’m hovering around the 100-120 range and working hard to keep it there.

I was doing pretty good on 500mg of Metfromin per day before my stomach decided that it would fight it. I asked for the ER version.

Have a happy 4th… and thanks again for your time.

3 Likes

Just thought I would give everyone an update. I’m hanging in there. I’ve switched to a pretty low carb diet. Not sure how long I can hold the low carb, but have noticed a couple interesting things. Maybe this will help someone/newbie reading this later on.

1. My eyesight (was blurry) has returned to better than I ever remember it. I can’t remember when I was able to see this good. Makes me wonder how long I had this. I notice at 160 range it starts to get fuzzy on me.

2. I have been holding 85-100 range most of the day for the last 3 days. I had been battling the DP in the morning (130-160), but I’ve been waking up testing and immediately drinking a protein shake with unsweeted almond milk. Seems to be working.

3. We are ordering some new testing for my diagnoses. I’m working with my diabetes educator, as I’ve got them confused. The class really doesn’t fit me.

4. I’ve been able to remove the dinner time medicine with the low-carb diet, as it was causing me to go low (49 before bed one night) I’m at one pill in the morning now.

5. This is just a personal feeling, but when my back hurts… I think my pancreas is working? I’m sure this doesn’t make much sense, but if I’m free from back aches, my numbers are always higher. I’m hoping that break from the huge A1C numbers is giving it a well deserved break. (I know is just wishful thinking)

Other than that… Just reading and learning. I’ll keep you posted on the testing results.

2 Likes

Keep up all the great efforts @Bajahammer, as you can see (pun intended) the benefits first hand! A low carb diet is truly the way to go for reliable success… as Dr. Bernstein says… “ Small inputs, small mistakes.“

I’m interested in hearing more about your back and pancreas. Keep a log and be sure to share it with your D-Team!

Just thought I would check in and let everyone know how everything is going. I’ve stopped all the medication for now. I’m doing pretty good with a very low-carb diet. Other than the dawn phenomenal each morning… I keep everything around 100-130. After lunch I’m usually in the 90’s. However, after the last Endo appointment, he is still confident that I"m type 1.

Tomorrow, I’ll be getting my C-peptide and Zinc Antibodies drawn. (We did all the other ones already). The endo says that it really doesn’t make a difference about the results, but I want to know.

I’ll update on the results.

3 Likes

Hey Baja, I’ve had a similar experience it sounds like. I was initially diagnosed as Type 2 (mostly because of age), and then things got…weird. Eating low-carb and exercising got my A1c down to normal levels quickly, but I was having exercise-related lows and pretty extreme dawn phenomenon. Further testing confirmed that I’m LADA.

Still not on insulin, I do use Metformin and eat low-carb to help control the morning numbers, otherwise I do OK. I have to admit, it seems like strenuous exercise is doing for my pancreas what it can’t do for itself… But, I’m going to need to help it along in the not-too-distant-future, and will be talking with my doctors about insulin therapy as soon as my new job (and insurance) starts in October.

More results.

1.89 (Mid-Range) on the C-Petide Test
10.7 (Mid-Range) on the Insulin Test
.10 (less than .15 is acceptable range?) on the zinc antibody test.

It seems like if I eat more it works more? Does that make sense? It is like pancreas is drunk and then decides to start working?