New Insulin Pump

Hi I am new to this site. I have been researching pumps for the past week as my warranty is up this month. I currently have a medtronic mini med and I have the CGM that I stopped using after the first year.

I am so taken with the Dexcom G5 and I can’t decide what pump would be the best fit to go with that.

I would appreciate any information.

Thanks so much.

Cat

1 Like

Hi Cat - welcome!!!

Your first post and question is a doozy!!! My advice would be to test a few out as pumps are very personal things. I use Dex G5 and Omnipod. I love my Omnipod because it’s tubeless but you will find many others who love their tubed pumps as well. It really is so subjective.

You will get no shortage of opinions here (I’m not saying this in a bad way and believe you should use these opinions/use experiences in your decision making process), but more importantly, trying them out to see what’s best for you should be paramount.

1 Like

Yea you won’t get a straight answer here there is no perfect pump. I will say that I used Medtronic for years and I could not stand the extra button pushes of the animas. I got it because it looked cute and now it’s sits unloved in my supply drawer. Ended up going with Tslim because my CDE who is type 1 strongly recommended it. So far so good. You may have to do some trial runs with different pumps.

1 Like

Thank so much for replying to me. I have had type one for 34 years and I have only had a pump for 4 years so this has me all in a mess really. Part of me is saying just stick with medtronic and relieve myself of the stress lol. I need to make a decision so that I can get it in on this years deductible. I like the idea of the ping as we have a pool and that way I could get the Dex G5. Ughh haha Thanks again for the advice. :0)

I have had the Animas ping going on 6 years and I have only had animas pumps. They have been good pumps for me. Never had one problem. I hear the new animas vibe is just a ping with dexcom g4. My endo tells me I would love the pump from tandem. Says they are easier to do the things that you have to do with a pump. With that said I can say my animas pumps have been really reliable and customer service has been very good. Like everything else that is just my dealings with them. I have seen others have negative things to say about them. Research and read all you can. That is what I did the first time.

1 Like

You could read the reviews right here! Lots and lots experience and information: Search results for 'insulin pump reviews category:29' - TuDiabetes Forum

1 Like

Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

I love my Omnipod. I’ve never used anything else and never had the desire to be tethered by a tube. Many do not feel that way, however, and love tubed pumps. Others tried the pod and had issues, some of which have been alleviated by improved pod design and quality control over recent years. Good luck with your choice. Keep asking questions, as there are years and years of pump experience here.

1 Like

I would not base my decision on the pump being integrated with the Dexcom CGM (or any other CGM for that matter) because new and improved versions of the Dexcom CGM are released far more often than “new and improved” incarnations of the particular pump you choose. You’ll either end up with an older CGM if being integrated is a top priority, or you’ll end up with the most up-to-date version of Dexcom and use it in a non-integrated fashion. In other words, it’s just a matter of time before the integrated aspect of the pump becomes obsolete, if that makes sense.

And IMHO, the OmniPod rocks!

2 Likes

Thank you.:smiley:

Thank you…:grinning:

I have to agree with rgcainmd. Dexcom could possibly release the g6 in the latter part of 2016 and Animas and Tandem just released their pumps with the g4 this year.

1 Like

I have spoken with my Diabetic Nurse and she likes the Ping but is concerned about the the size of the reservoir on the ping Does this bother you? Thanks again for all of your help.

Insulin pump choices are very personal. You need to think about how much insulin you use. What kinds of basal rates you might need now and in the future. How does the bolus calculator work, what kinds of increments in insulin delivery can it do. What about temp rates and how does it do extended bolus delivery. How fast or slow is the delivery… And how does that work for your diabetes control lots of things to compare and see what you think of the features and what will work for you. Then once you see what you think you want be sure tor get it in hand and play with it as well as other pumps. Often what you think you want on paper may not be so shiny once you actually play with it.

http://integrateddiabetes.com/insulin-pump-comparisons/

1 Like

That’s awesome advice. Thank you so much. I appreciate everyone’s insightful advice.

With all due respect, your Diabetic Nurse’s preference for the Ping should not influence your choice. When my daughter’s CDE showed us all the various pumps available here in the U.S., she informed us that she was not allowed to show any preferences amongst these pumps or their features. I was impressed with her objective presentation and neither my daughter nor I felt any pressure to choose a particular brand of pump. If I were in your shoes, I’d be concerned that your Diabetic Nurse’s preference for the Ping is an indication that she is not adequately trained in how to operate any of the other brands.

It depends on how much daily insulin you use. It never affected me because I don’t typically load more than 140 units at a time. That will comfortably last me 3 maybe 4 days.

1 Like

Same here. I don’t use alot of insulin so the ping is fine for me.

1 Like

I think that I may have worded it wrong in her defense. What I meant to say is that I had said when I was there discussing pumps with her that I liked the ping but her only concern for me was the reservoir size. She hasn’t influenced me one way or another. Sorry for the confusion.

That’s great… thank you. :grin: