Pumps, Medtronic v. Animas

Thinking about moving to a pump. Does anyone have an opinion on the Medtronic solution versus the animas solution? Or is there another offering I should be looking at?

Thanks!

I think it really depends on what you are looking for; each pump has different features. The third option is the Omnipod which many people like because it's tubeless, but which is quite large and doesn't have as good a reputation as Animas and Medtronic.

I have a Ping (Animas) and will speak to that and let others speak to Medtronic. I love my Ping! It's very reliable and after an initial learning curve, easy to use. Its special features are it's waterproof, has the lowest basal increase (.025), and best of all imho has a "meter/remote" with which you can do all your bolusing, leaving the pump beneath your clothes.

Thank you, Zoe. I have a meeting with the Medtronic Rep tomorrow and am waiting for a call back from the Animas Rep. I like your input on the discreetness of the Ping. Can you detach it periodically? My sons and I are quite active and there are times I would like to be able to do that.
Again, thank you for your input.

I think they are both good. I have the Animas 2020 and love it. Before that I had the Animas 1200. Animas has been reliable and trouble free. The support from Animas has been outstanding. I went with Animas because I like the fact that the pump is waterproof. I also like that the battery lasts for 3 months.

I am currently in the market for a new pump and would like an integrated CGM. Animas has the Vibe coming which would be my first choice, but who knows when we will see it hit the market. Medtronic already has an integrated CGM, but I have read mixed reviews about the reliability of the CGM and the pain of wearing the sensor. With that said, I would consider Medtronic if the sensor was better.

As for Omni Pod, I don't know if I would feel comfortable wearing the pod under my cloths. I have three young sons and I think the pod would get knocked off easily.

Keep us posted...

I have had both the Medtronic and the Animas. The difference for me is the continuous glucose monitor (CGM). The CGM for the medtronic, at least when I had it, was about a quarter sized sea shell that was heavy and flopped around causing all kinds of headaches for me. I am pretty active and had a lot of trouble keeping it in. The nice thing about it was that it offered the readings right on the pump itself, so the Medtronic is essentially two devices in one, a pump and a CGM receiver. The Animas pump works fine and is reported to be working with Dexcom (a CGM company), to link the two devices and have an offering similar to Medtronic. I like the Dexcom CGM, so I switched to the Animas pump, but I have to carry the Dexcom receiver, along with the Animas pump. The best thing about the Animas is like Zoe mentioned, the meter/remote option. Otherwise I thought the Medtronic was a little less annoying overall, based on alarms and ease of getting back to the home screen, button pushing, that sort of thing. Having both, I could make an argument for each, but the Animas works best for me right now.

I'm on my second MiniMed pump and in August will buy my third pump from them. I have used the RT system for 4 years (CGMS). I have had excellent results with the Pump/CGMS combo. The MiniMed pump has the best pump software of any pump sold today....Smith Medical was probably as good but they are no longer selling pumps.

Medtronic also has the best clinical software called CareLink, none of the other company's have anything that comes close...get the MM sales rep to show you the CareLink software. The Doctors like MiniMed because all of your pump data is stored on line and they do not need to down load your pump at their office, the staff can have all of your pump reports ready when you show up for an appointment. Medtronic is the leader in pump sales world wide.

There are other good pumps on the market but none of them have a complete clinical solution like the MiniMed and the whole reason for going to the pump is improving your BG control.

Vanity should not be a determining factor for choosing a pump...JMHO

Thanks Ryan. The Dexcom told me about the union of them and Animas this morning but didn’t give a timeframe for release. That bothers me about the Medtronic cgm as I’m pretty active as well. Hopefully I’ll see the sensor tomorrow.
I like the idea of the remote on the ping but, man, I already carry 2 cellphones. Another two devices makes me a bit of a pack mule.
Thank you so much for the input, it’s a great help!

One difference I have found is the cartridge size. Animas cartridge holds 200 units and Medtronic's holds 300 units.
My son is using Animas Ping and we love it, but he uses a lot of insulin and so has to fill the cartridge almost every day.

Yes, Stever, you can detach it at the site very easily.

I have a Ping and HAD a MM. I am much Happier with the Ping. I love the waterproof feature (be sure to order extra battery caps and cartridge caps-as they have to be replaced every 6 months-small price to pay for waterproof) I also like the dexcom CGM much better than the MM and I have had better custoemr service from both that I ever had with MM. And I have not had a leaky cartridge since switching to the Ping. :-) I am however a T1 and the smaller resxevoir is not an issue for me. And at the time MM pump did not do the smaller increments like thre Ping

I recently reviewed Animas Ping, and thought it was a pretty close call, but decided to stay with MM. (Using MM since 1997).

One thing I learned from the Animas rep was that when the 'Vibe' is available in US, with the Ping/Dex CGMS integrated in one unit, there will not be a meter/remote included. They will still sell the Ping w/remote as a separate product.

If having a waterproof pump and meter/remote are important to you, then the Ping beats the MM. Otherwise they are pretty close in my opinion. Sounds like you are meeting with reps, so that's the best way to get a hands-on feel for each one.

good luck.

I've had Medtronics pumps since 2008, first a 722 and now the newer 523 model.

1) The 523/ 723 also have the .025U/ hour basal rate "fine tuning". It's easy to get carried away with it but, the more I play with it, the more I agree that it's useful!

2) I run a lot and got this stuff, Opsite Flexfix Tape, to hold the CGM down and haven't had many problems (like 2?) since then, about 1700 miles (plus the times I forgot my Garmin, ran on the dreadmill, elliptical on my "off" days, bicycling, etc.) since spring of 2009, when I got the CGM. A few times, when it's really hot and humid out, I will take a lancet and lance the tape to drain the sweat out of the bottom of the "bubble" in which the sensor sits.

3) I agree with John that I like the Carelink software a lot, particularly w/ the CGM, it's been very easy to "step back" and see where issues are developing, not necessarily huge issues but little things to tweak for smoother control. I haven't used the Animas software though.

4) I've had great customer service from Medtronics too. I call them and the stuff gets shipped. Once/ year, I have to call them and wait for them to coordinate the doc and the insurance and all that but they have done well with that for me. I don't pay much attention to what it costs though.

Holy cow! You all have been awesome helping me make this move! It is so nice to have your input. I have truly felt alone in this challenge with T1 and have not used this site at all. It is nice to know I can call on you all. Thank you all for your input. Thank you! You’re all so knowledgable…

I have the Medtronic 722 and have had it since Oct 2009. I was on MDI for a couple of years and before that combination of pills and other injectables. I have had no problems with the Minimed and Medtronic's service and sales are second to none. They work with your insurance and you have a pump in almost no time. I got mine in a week. Very happy. Have no reason to change.

Stever. Did you ever come to a decision?
I have a lot of experience with glucose sensors and the minimed if it might be of any use, but either way would be interested to hear of your decision.

Steve,
Did you come to decision? We are considering a pump too and I'm really interested to know which you chose and why, if you don't mind updating. Thanks!

Vanity? Just curious what you are refering to.

Hello!

I have an Animas Ping, and like it very much. As for control, the pump, for me has been life-changing. It moved me from mediocre control to tight control. I liked the Animas over the MiniMed for several reasons. First, the communication between the pump and the meter allows for the pump to function as you demand without ever having to touch it. I like the safeguards built into their commands; the pump never allows one to do something unless they are sure of the command. The colour screen is easy on my old eyes. The tracking software is very complete and is stored off line, so that date may be accessed, with permission and access, by the CDE or physician. The pump is waterproof. The service from Animas has been superb. My training from Animas was very complete. They acted as if they really wanted me to use their pump.

I didn't get the same feeling or find the same features with MiniMed.

Good luck with your decision. Please let us know what you choose.

Brian Wittman

I wore Medtronic for 8 years and Animas now for 3. I’m much happier with the Animas it’s a better fit for me. The Dexcom cgms hands down works better for me also. But they are both good systems.

I suggest you get your hands on the pumps with the reps. Look at the screens, compare the volumes of alarms, the features on each and go from there.

I would ask your rep about insurance. They won’t be able to give you specifics but they should have a general idea whether their pump is preferred or not. In Washington state Medtronic is no longer covered by Regence the largest insurer in the state. But that’s unusual though. Generally both Medtronic and Animas are covered by most insurances.