New to this -

Hi Thanks all for directing me to the right place to be heard. I hope I did it right this time. I am a very slow learner on computer stuff. So I am Lisa and I am looking to start pumping instead of injecting many times a day. I have had diabetes since 1991 and on insulin for @10 years now. My eye doctor recommended it and a dietician friend has been trying to get me to pump for a few years now. I am ready but I am not sure if I want the pod or a tubed system. I got a sample to wear today-pod- to see if I can sleep with out rolling onto it. The pod seems like a better choice. I really don’t know. Any feedback would be great. Thanks Lisa

I use the Minimed Paradigm which is “tubed” and I have no experience with the pod, but from what I’ve read from those who have it you no reason to worry about rolling over onto it. I know it sounds scary and painful, but it isn’t (most of the time). Just something to get used to.
I worried a lot about sleeping with a pump at first, but now 9 out of 10 new infusion sets never even enter my sleeping consciousness since I don’t even feel them. Once and a while I’ll use a “bad” site (not enough fat is what I’m guessing the problem is) and then I stay off that side at night and don’t sleep very well.

Hi Lisa, you’ll LOVE pumping -it’s a huge improvement over however many shots per day (it was 5-8+ for me). I have the Animas Ping, which is a “tubed” pump. Personally, the pods are huge to me. The infusion sets I use (Insets) are low profile and unnoticeable in comparison. I use the 43" tubing, tuck my pump in my bra and use my meter remote to bolus and nobody has to ever know I’m even wearing it. I just toss it on the bed next to me at night, and have never once gotten tangled up in the tubing. It’s a YMMV sort of thing, but trying out the different systems before you buy them is the way to go, so meet w/ the company reps, get an in-hand demo, read up on them and see if you can try them out for a few days to see how you do. And of course, feel free to ask questions here!

Hi Heather, Thanks for the input. I did feel that it was kinda a lump but very light. I am only 5’2" so I don’t have alot of spots to put it. I like the bra idea for the meter. Thanks Lisa

Hi Pavlos, thanks. I did sleep on it well. i never even felt it at my side while I slept. I have a little pudge so it kinda settled in I guess between the tempurpedic and me. I think the tubed one may be more low profile. How long can you disconnect to swim? I live near the beach and in the summer like to swim. thanks Lisa

Lisa, I’m a tubed pumper and I’m from Florida so the major thing for me was for my pump to be waterproof. I went with the Animas Ping. It’s fantastic and completely waterproof. I have friends with the MM’s and they remove their pumps before going onto the beach. I called the pump companies and had demos of the pumps and all in all, I’m extremely satisfied with my choice of the Ping. Just be aware that while pumping helps and does a lot for you, there is still a lot that has to be done. Get and read multiple times, Pumping Insulin by John Walsh. It is the best book you can have when pumping. I’ve been pumping for 3 months now and I still refer back to the book! Good luck and I hope you find a good one!

Hi Lisa, I believe the literature for my pump recommends no more than 45 minutes to an hour (though I could be wrong and it could be 30 minutes). Depending on how tightly you want to control your numbers you can always disconnect the pump for a short period while swimming and then reattach, test, and correct for any highs you might have. Generally I’d say try not to go longer than 30 minutes. You also have to remember though that swimming is physical exercise which might make up for the lack of insulin by disconnecting. Also, heat can lower your BG so that should also be taken into account. In other words, if you disconnect for 30 minutes of swimming under a hot sun you might actually still need some carbs to raise your BG instead of taking a bolus to lower it.
With the beach there other considerations as well (sand, heat affecting the insulin, water loosening the adhesive bond of your site, and other stuff). Don’t let this get you down though because I’ve gone swimming at the beach plenty of times with my pump and with some careful planning and consideration it was a “walk in the park.” Eventually these things become second nature to you (like remembering to bring the sunscreen).

I don’t know how immediate your pump plans are but if you like being tubeless but don’t like the size of the POD you might want to consider waiting for the Solo ( www.solo4you.com ). I can’t speak to it’s quality though and I don’t know what the release time frame is, but it might be a good option for you.

Hi Elizabeth, Thanks for the book reccomend. Lisa

Hi Pavlos, thanks for the info. I am going to be starting in March. I go to see the doc on Weds. and will start it after I get back from vacation first week in March. I will ask her about the Solo. Thanks Lisa