New Tubeless Pump!

Well, things get a little murky due to them only having marketing materials out. It appears that the entire unit is waterproof for light duty like showers, but they definitely say it’s NOT for things like saunas.

It (the Solo pod) comes in 3 pieces - the pump unit (MicroPump), the base/cradle (infusion set), and a reservoir. The pump unit is what you keep for up to 3 months. You replace the base/cradle every 3 days as you would with a normal pump infusion set and the reservoir as needed. With the OmniPod all 3 of these are 1 unit that you replace every 3 days. Obviously, the pump should be the most expensive part as it has the smarts and machinery, so preserving it for 3 months is where the cost savings vs. the OmniPod would come from.

You are absolutely correct in that both of these are promoted as pay-as-you-go systems in that the brains are in the remotes that are rather inexpensive compared to a traditional pump. This represents the up-front cost and then you just buy the pods every 1-3 months. After about 2-3 years the OmniPod costs surpass those of a traditional pump.

I am totally in agreement with you about the tubeless pumps and competition. I’ve been toting around a wound vac now for 2 months and I am psychologically repelled by anything with tubes! :slight_smile:

Hi Dan,

Not sure what you mean. The pod is actually the pump. The PDM is only a controller to set up the pod and bolus…and it’s warranty is for 4 years. The Omnipod is 2 parts.

With the solo it appears (no one seems to truly know since it’s not available) that there are 3 parts. The controller, the base/infusion, and the reservoir. Since we know the cradle has to be disposable, and the controller, does that mean that mean the reservoir is actually the pump and if so, can you refill without degrading the insulin, Is that the part that’s good for 3 months? I really don’t understand and would like to know your input.

And oh yeah, tubeless is great. The cost will catch up with a tube but more like 3 to 4 years. Even the tube pumpers have to buy monthly supplies. But if there is more competition out there…hopefully the tubeless pricing will come down…mmmmhh maybe like test strips. :}
Now I am dreaming…sorry.

"The controller, the base/infusion, and the reservoir. Since we know the cradle has to be disposable, and the controller, does that mean that mean the reservoir is actually the pump and if so, can you refill without degrading the insulin, Is that the part that’s good for 3 months? "
I’ll take a stab at answering this. The reservoir is detachable from the micropump. The reservoir appears to be refillable at will and connects to the micropump pump to become a single unit that is snapped into the cannula base. The micropump is replaced every 3 months The detachable design not only means cost-savings from not throwing out electronics every 3 days but is likely to also allow adding insulin at any time and it means that replacing an occluded cannula only requires replacing the cannula base (the existing reservoir can be used with the new cannula base). I watched the video at the Solo site many times and I think I have described it correctly. I suppose you could say the system has 4 parts if you include the remote control, micropump, insulin reservoir, and cannula base. If I understand it correctly, you would only need to replace the reservoir and cannula base every 3 days with maybe the option to reuse the reservoir.
I agree with Dan that this design should allow (significant) cost savings vs Omni.

Jon, for some reason, the “Reply to this” for your msg isn’t showing…

OK, here goes at a general logical level:

All pump systems can be broken down into 4 basic parts: (A) some sort of controller, (B) a reservoir to hold insulin, © an infusion set to introduce insulin into the body, and (D) the actual mechanical pump. The difference is all in packaging. All systems should replace the infusion set © every 3 days (or whenever needed) and replace the reservoir (B) as needed to ensure insulin freshness. Traditional pumps combine parts (A), (B), and (D) into one unit, where parts (A) & (D) are durable and last the life of the unit (4 years under warranty for most if not all). They also require tubing to transfer insulin from the main unit to the infusion set. Pod or tubless systems combine parts (B), ©, and (D) into one unit that attaches to the body and you only keep the controller (or PDM) (A) for the life of the system. In the OmniPod, all 3 of these parts are combined and inseparable and replaced every 3 days. In the Solo, the parts are separable and you replace the reservoir (B) as needed, and the infusion set/base © every 3 days. The pump (D) can last for up to 3 months. So, the Solo should be a little more cost-effective than the OmniPod because you aren’t replacing the pump part every 3 days. Theoretically, with similar manufacturing costs, etc., etc.

I’m attaching a scan of the sheet they sent me that will explain the Solo in more detail and give you a look at what I’m yakking about. :slight_smile: The “Cradle” is the infusion set © and the “MicroPump” is the combined pump (D) and reservoir (B).

As far as costs go, I did calculations based on what my cost would be without insurance and it came out right at about 3 years (including infusion sets) using an initial cost of $6,500 for the traditional pump (as I recall). For me, this is no biggie as I DO have insurance. For now. :slight_smile:
6705-img005.jpg (595 KB)

Right on. The savings from just having to replace the cannula base/cradle when issues crop up could be considerable over the lifetime of the unit. Thanks for covering for me!

For me, the decision is going with the OmniPod just for my previously mentioned reasons of PDM familiarity, built-in tester, and coming DexCom integration. If I were having to pay all out-of-pocket though, I’d probably go with the Solo or stick with MDI depending on my income level at the time.

Hello Dan!! on monday i have my omnipod appoinment im really excited… i was wondering about the price, in the upper comments you said something about the cost but i dont get it, does omnipod has the pay as you go?? and does it has the CGM?? well have to go going to see Precious…
Thanks…
Diana =)

Ok, I’ve done my comparison between the Solo and the Omnipod demos. First, the tape from the Solo irritated my skin, after only wearing it for a day. The tape on the Omnipod, wearing it for 3 days, did not irritate my skin, and adhered very well! I found the size comparison to be a wee bit different, the Omnipod seems to be a thicker pump, but as far as the other dimensions, it’s fairly close.

I’ve contacted the rep from Medingo, with several questions, one of them being if I need to get a separate meter, I haven’t gotten an answer to that question. I also asked when you disconnect to take a shower, if there is something to cover the infusion hole, or does the cannula stay in, as of yet, I have not gotten an answer.

On the other hand, I called Insulet, after receiving my demo, the person on the other end of the phone was more than willing to help me, turned me over to the reimbursement department and now they are checking with my insurance company, and getting my medical necessity paperwork.

Upon careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that I would prefer to deal with a company that answers my questions, and doesn’t just have me talk into an answering machine. I’m going on the Omnipod if i can.

Yep, both OmniPod & Solo are “pay-as-you-go.” All this means is that with a standard pump, you (or insurance) will pay a lot ($5k +) up front for the pump. Then you pay for disposable items like infusion sets and insulin reservoirs. The tubeless systems cost a lot less up front ($800-$1,250 for OmniPod depending on deal and nobody knows for the Solo), but the supplies (the replaceable pods) cost more than the supplies for a standard pump. At some point the tubeless will cost more, but you have the advantage (especially if you don’t have insurance) of paying less up front with the cost spread out over several years, thus the term pay-as-you-go. CGM integration (with DexCom) and smaller pod size are both comin either later this year or next for the OmniPod system. As Joyce points out below, the Solo system is just starting up and the info is mainly marketing stuff and not very detailed for now.

I very glad you have you OmniPod appointment! Let us know how you like it. I don’t see my endo until next month, so I will be waiting a while.

I hope they dont have the billing issues and the problems Insulet has with companies paying for pods…
I like the idea of the on-unit bolus… yes its a bit bigger, but its less disposable than an omnipod… and you can replace the cradle and the insulin resevoir separate from the pump itself… Less of an enviormental impact… And if you cant find your PDM you can bolus in a pinch… The actual device name from the literature i got is the Solo by Medingo… Seems to a similar adhesive to the Omnipod, so if you have problems with that adhesive… you can do the Tegraderm / IV3000 thing…

I actually found the weighted demo pump more comfortable than the omnipod and stuck better, even though it takes up a bit more surface area… I think its because theres a larger area to adhere to…

I think thats why there are two buttons to bolus… yes they are difficult to push but I think its a safety lock so you dont bump-press the built in buttons… kinda have to give it a little oomph to activate… Im guessing how it works is you have to click them both in at the same time for whatever unit increment its set to…
its more of a backup feature than something designed for everyday use… I.E. oops i cant find the PDM and I ate… do the Insulin to carb in your head and rough it…

Many insurances in the states do NOT cover pens!.. Not kidding…
I ended up for a while paying out of pocket for mine…

Thanks Dan!! you help me lots… well im just hoping that my parents can afford it, that is awesome paying less without insurance that may help me more because i dont think i have one of those because has been only 3 months after dx so everything has been so fast.
But well i have to hit the book
Really appreciate all your help, thnkss
Diana =).

Untill you get caught by a piece of furniture anyways… or when dropping your trousers and it falls off your belt or pulls… :wink:

Pens are great but the Memoir is Memorable :wink:
It helps me remember when i dont have my log immediately on me, and i can enter the last few doses of insulin into my Ultrasmart when i forget to do it immediately after…Also can go and see uh when was the last time i gave myself an injection… Moved to the pump but that was one of the more useful tools in my arsenal…

Insulin pen with dose memory and time stamp
Accuchek Multiclix
One Touch Ultrasmart…

If your not a good paper logger… these tools together can help you keep better tabs on your D with less pain.(and with the multiclix, less pain and less chance of infection because its easier to change, and convienient to change your lancet)

I’m curious about Symlin. Can you use Symlin for weight management for a short period of time? I’m in my 3rd trimester of pregnancy and I know I’ve got of lot weight to drop once the baby arrives. I’m wondering if I can use Symlin to help me loose the weight and then drop it once I reach my goal.

I have found that Medingo will answer emailed questions promptly.

For showering, the cannula stays in and personally I don’t see any advantage to taking the micropump off.

Solo does not come with an integrated meter.

I think the adhesive for Solo and Omni is the same “hypafix”, so if you are getting irritation, be prepared to
to utilize various solutions.

Old news to me, i found it by googling “insulin pumps”

I’ve had samples of both for several months. Put the Solo on and completely forgot I was wearing it unlike the Omni which was downright uncomfortable by comparison. Adhesive seems the same. From what I’ve learned; You don’t waste insulin when removing the solo, you can leave it on when showering and you can bolus right from the pod unlike the Omni. Solo is begining by trying the pump in small areas to build up their support system before offering it nationwide. The reason for not getting quick resposes is because they’re not in production yet even though I’ve gotton several resposes quite quickly. Omnipod is an established company. They’re still building the support system so I wouldn’t pass judgement based on that!

Have you heard any other information on the lunch date? The company was just sold on april 13 2010?

I have… Roche/Disetronic has supposedly purchased the Solo from Medingo…
I think they have plans for it to become a Disetronic product, along with the Spirit and Spirit Combo (not avalible in the US>>>GRRR)