New Year food traditions!

This is the next year!!! What are some traditional foods that you eat on the first day of the new year? I am curious to know what do people from other parts of the world as domestically.

I know for African Americans generally its cabbage, black eyed peas, and chitlins.

Nothing specific … I know this year the first food that I ate was I shared a Lecyee Pudding with my husband (an asian dessert) mmmm delish … I don’t plan what I eat as the first thing of the year in general, though as a meal goes it also varies today its going to be Cornish Hens as the main meal (dinner) but no idea what food will be the first eating out of the house (take way) will just have to see.

this is why I am eating a whole pot full of black eyed peas!!! Cabbage is another “good Luck” veggie. It suppose to represent currency. Now for the chitlins…I just found out about this several years ago. I was’t brought up eating chitlins but they are not difficult to eat. Normally it is the smell that turns off most people.

LOL, I horrified my new neighbors a few years ago (I am a Northern transplant to the South) by NOT having black eyed peas and collard greens. We typically go for a ham, maybe arroz con gondulas with a nice pork shoulder, but I'm interested in what everyone else makes as a "traditional" new years food.

Happy new year all!

In Hungary, you eat HOT DOGS/ Sausages on New Years Eve. Yumm…

A Southern Belle told that you are to eat collards are for the paper money in your wallet and the black eyed peas for the change in your pocket. Do not forget the cornbread cooked in the cast iron skillet. I will take mine without sugar please.

I don't have any ethnic traditions, or ones from childhood - basically I left my foo (family of origin) as far behind as I could when I left home..lol. The only thing I retain from my adolescence is that I always babysat New Year's Eve and the families would leave good snack food for me. I still associate New Year's Eve with champagne and good snacks rather than a full meal. Today I no longer snack, so my dinner consists of snack type foods - this year it was samosas, hummus, rosemary and parmesan crackers, olives and a spicy nuts recipe I make every year around Christmas. And no...my blood sugar did not care too much for those choices!

The only thing I had as a tradition as an adult for many many years and the only sugar item I actually miss is the fabulous home made eggnog I used to make each New Year's for my group of friends. It was nothing like what you buy in the store, and was fluffy with whipped egg whites; it was so yummy that people who hadn't had it before didn't realize just how much booze it contained..lol. Each year I had to make a larger amount for those who begged me to make enough so they could take some home. I also asked for contributions as I didn't have much money and gallons of that stuff cost gallons of dollars! I quit eating sugar entirely in 1994 due to an eating disorder. The first New Years I couldn't imagine not making my special eggnog for everyone so decided I would allow myself that one break from my "no sugar regimen". I got a killer headache and felt so crappy from the intense sugar intake that I never made it again. My friends understood but still talk about how much they loved that stuff.

In south central PA, it's pork and sauerkraut, which I've got cooking in the crockpot. It'll be a bit different this year. I found a recipe on OneTouch Gold that added an apple, unsweetened apple juice, and onion to the mix. I didn't add the juice, just the fruit and an onion. We'll see how it tastes when it's done!

In my family, we don't have a New Year's Day tradition.

if you want cornbread with out sugar…there is HOT WATER CORNBREAD that is not made with sugar. Its very hard to find outside of the South though. I have trying to find somebody here in LA that knows how to do it. I know that you dip small sections of your batter into boiling hot water to cure it then fry it.

I don't even know what chitlins ARE!!! Lesson, please!

Smiles,

Natalie ._c-

Jews don't celebrate the New Year on Jan 1st; that's a Christian custom! (Although American Jews, being thoroughly American, do celebrate Jan 1, but don't have any particular traditions relating to it) Our new year (Rosh HaShana) is usually in September (according to the Lunar Calendar), and most of the day is devoted to praying. The one food I remember from my childhood is apples dipped in honey, for a sweet year!

So I was going to go out to lunch with friends today, but the ice and snow on the roads, coupled with heavy snow this morning canceled it! :-(

I gave my cats a can of catfood -- wet food is a treat for them, so they celebrated the New Year, all right!

I told my friends we should just celebrate on a different day -- who cares when you celebrate, just as long as you do it! :-)

Today it will be sheep of some sort at our limey/ Indian friends.

I read your post without my glasses, Anthony and thought it said “sleep of some sort”. When I used to be a major partier, that pretty much summed up what I did on New Years Day…lol. But in general, I’ve always thought of New Year’s Eve as the actual celebration and New Year’s Day just a day. I actually feel that way about Christmas Eve, too!

NEVER ate cornbread with sugar in it til I was 21 and REALLY didn't like it then. Just meal flour and some buttermilk and of course crisco to keep it from sticking to the pan.

I do the Southern cooking for New Years too but this year I forgot what hogjowl was for. Any ideas?

Am a Southern transplant from the North. It’s collard greens, usually cooked with fatback (pork fat) & black eyed peas for good luck here. All the supermarkets have plenty of both days before Jan 1. Never heard of new year traditional foods before living in the South. I don’t eat anything special on Jan. 1. Maybe I’d have better luck if I did:)

Natalie, I thought Jews went out for Chinese on Christmas, LOL. isn’t that tradition? : )

I made a very nice looking apple cranberry crisp for tonight's dessert. Very simple, and can fit into some meal plans, though it's not exactly low-carb. All it takes is 3 cups chopped apple, 2 cups fresh cranberries, 1/2 cup sugar (I used Splenda instead), 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1 cup oatmeal, and 1/4 cup canola oil. Toss the apples, cranberries, and sugar together, pour into a baking pan that's been sprayed with non-stick spray. Mix the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, and oil together in a bowl, making the crumb topping. Sprinkle over top of the apples and cranberries, place in an oven preheated to 350F. Bake for 40 minutes or until topping turns golden brown. I finished eating it just a half hour or so ago, and while it's a bit tart,

Jacky, that’s true! My family did.

For New York Jews, yes. There is a very large community of Jews in New York, and they are busy creating their very own American traditions. I think other Eastern Jews do that, too.

For a Western Jew (born in Montana, raised in LA) no. At least, not among my family, friends and acquaintances. We are a much smaller, more widely spread out community (I now live in Reno, Nevada), and don't have as much daily contact as Eastern Jews do. In a way, I envy them, but in another way, I've always enjoyed the multiculturalism that I was raised in.