Favorite 4th foods to Bolus for?

When I think of the 4th of July I think of families sitting outside shooting off fireworks and of course food. So what are you favorite 4th of July foods that are bolus worthy? I have two and they are carb hoppers.

The first I no longer can have. It is my moms Macaroni salad. This saccharin ladened concoction featured cheese, macaroni, miracle whip, pickles, mustard, and of course liquid saccharin. It oozed good flavors, and was mixed and chilled just so to bring out the best flavors. I can no longer have it because when my mom passed in 1986 she took her recipes with her. It is this memory that is perhaps the most prominent in my mind about my mom. However it is gone. Wow, I am hungry just thinking of it.

The second and I think the most surprising pick at a twitter chat session I attended this week is watermelon. Honestly I thought I had to be the only one who is watermelon crazy. I was delighted to find others. My problem with watermelon is that no one has produced enough insulin to cover how much watermelon I want to eat. Ok, well in the entire world maybe. Wow I do love Watermelon.

So what are the 4th of July foods you love? e

I try not to dwell on the things I had to give up and focus on what I can have and enjoy. Despite that there are many classic dishes I have to pass on these days such as potato salads and my mothers cole slaw (sugar) in addition to what you have mentioned. Fortunately, I can make a variation on cole slaw that works out ok and I can indulge in my favorite barbeque and grill items (although you have to watch out for those commercial bbq sauces).

Mmmmm, I think I'll have me some ribs today.

I don't feel as if I have to give up anything and just cover what's on the menu with insulin. I'm having chicken following my friend Ian's recipe. He's an interesting guy who, perhaps appropriate to the day, is serving in the USN w/ T1!

The recipe is http://www.food.com/recipe/south-pacific-short-ribs-411959for short ribs but I've used the same marinade on chicken, like a whole chicken cut up, and it's excellent!! I'll make some sweet potato hash, diced and fried with shallots, jalapenos and chili powder to complete the culinary fireworks. And maybe some low carb tequila?

deifinitely any burger or hot dog with all the condiments and most of the bun. i dont eat much bread, really, but a burger off the bbq without a bun should be illegal on 4th july! my sister in laws moms potato salad, also out of this world and very bolus worthy. she throws lots of stuff in, but the best thing about it is the bits of garlic.

any kind of cake with white icing and strawberries and blueberries like the stars and stripes of the american flag.

im really hungry now and not in the right country for today!!

BBQ and the 4th go together. Being a low carber I have had to develop recipes that use little or no sugar. Today I'm making country ribs made without sugar, not a traditional taste but good nonetheless and no worries about a nasty spike.

I’ll probably toss on few of these as well.

Hot dog on a wheat bun with ketchup, mustard, sweet pickles! Sweet corn!! Baked beans!!! Potato or Egg salad!!!! And yes, lots of watermelon with salt and pepper!!!!!

Happy Independence Day. That macaroni salad does sound good :)

what is this watermelon with salt and pepper? really?

I am all about watermelon with salt, I have never tried pepper. Ah a new reason to cut the rind. Yummy.........................rick

wow i am on my way over even as i type......................rick

Yes I do watermelon with salt. I super bolus 15-20 minutes prior to consumption( which means for me at least 2 units OVER what the bolus wizard says) and eat the watermelon with protein.I dual wave that bolus, and check the CGM a lot. I can eat watermelon without too big a spike, but it is hard. May pass on it today so I can have some sweet corn. Too hard for me to try both on one day.. I want to socialize, play games ( yes the broken ankle is all healed!!) and not be consumed with the food battle today.

God bless,
Brunetta

BadMoon, I want to know what that dish is with the bacon rolled around it and if you could share the recipe!!

Rick, I'll bet I could find a close approximation of your mom's macaroni salad if you can tell me everything you remember. what kind of cheese was it? meanwhile here is a recipe for a really good pasta salad, it has tons of carbs, I've made it many times for parties. I use Herb-ox low salt powdered beef boullion (sounds weird, but it totally makes it)

Speaking of hamburgers, why not try to make your own buns? These are really easy (trust me) and they put store bought to shame. They really stand up to a big juicy hamburger, and are so worth the 47 grams of carb. I make these all the time and keep them in my freezer.

I'd love a recipe for barbeque sauce that isn't too carby and is good and spicy.

Brunetta to me Watermelon is one of those red light foods. I mean it is like start here and Katie bar the doors. There is no stopping. LOL

By the way, I found watermelon flavored glucose tabs. I love them, I even have to restrain myself form bolusing to need them. :) Not really, but I wonder how would salt and pepper taste on a glucose tabs? :) .....................................rick

Marie, it has all the ingredients I described. It included cheddar cheese chunks or (get ready for this) Velveeta. Hey poor folks have poor ways. It also included the requirement that it sit refrigerated for 2 hours or more before serving. I think however that was moms way of letting the ingredients soak up the saccharin. I might be wrong, but I think she said that once.

The pickle relish was important to her. She always used a small amount of of Kraft (only kraft) I think that was her way of putting extra carbs in. Also boiled egg.

haha describing it we had such a slight understanding of carbs at that time heck it must be like a million carbs a spoonful.

hahaha my wife tired locking the stuff up once. It was her way of getting a new refrigerator. I got to the melon and a new refrigerator, totally worth it. LOL

Naw I made that up, but short of hiding it I am all over it. I have tired watermelon slices and that does work. However of course the slices are slices for a reason and freshness, flavor and juice are not among those reasons. rick

OMG! Is that a bacon explosion?

I thought a super bolus is when you add into your bolus and subtract out of your basal with a temporary or suspend. Am I wrong?

ps. In the scope of things watermelon tastes sweeter than the number of carbs would lead you to believe. It is actually only 10-12 grams per cup.

Yep,also called a fattie. Your post several years ago here on tuD featuring a bacon explosion got me started on my hobby of smoking meat, I just had to make one of my own.

The one in the pic used bratwurst meat and is stuffed with spiral cut zucchini and Parmesan cheese. Today's version will feature spinach, red bell peppers, provolone and of course a basket weave of bacon.

Hi Marie glad to share its called a fattie. Here is a good description of the basic technique of putting one together. Go easy on the filling or you will have trouble prevent blowouts.

Here's my post describing the one I posted here.

The main thread has tons of variations, let your imagination run wild! Great reheated with some eggs for breakfast.

Also makes a slick presentation for parties.

Not necessarily a 4th July food but I had a French Silk Pie Blizzard from DQ. My CGM was already pointing south so thought a good time to enjoy along with a good big bolus to cover the obnoxious amount of Carbs. 2 hours later still under 100 so things have worked out so far. The fat helps take the edge off the spike.

ha ha - rollin-a-fatty!! Those look delicious, what time should we roll on over??