Newbie to the ketogenic diet

I changed my mind and perspective. I am back on my combination of low gi carbs and regular walking.

1 Like

You can google ketogenic diet, keto, lchf (low carb/high fat) and find so much info, recipes too - you donā€™t need books. Drink whisky or dry wine instead of beer.

1 Like

Thanks for your response Negg!

Best of luck with the new diet. I have to tell you, the beer wonā€™t work, it will kick you out of ketosis. Depending on who you talk with you will get different opinions about alcohol. Some people believe that alcohol (even vodka) will be burned off as calories dropping you out of ketosis. Others believe it is just about the carbs. If you do choose alcohol you should choose something carb free (or very low carb). I actually think if you strive for truly being in ketosis you may need to even be careful about wine.

Since you asked about books, the one other I would suggest is The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald. It goes into the science in more detail than most diet books and is replete with references. I like to understand as much as I can about whatā€™s going on, but thatā€™s just me.

1 Like

There are Facebook groups dedicated to low-carb diets for people with diabetes.

2 Likes

David
The book you suggested looks great but I see that on Amazon a used paperback copy of it is priced at $180. So it must be immensely in demand. I think I will see if our public library has it.

Iā€™ve been avoiding facebook recently - too many dogs who think they are cats, cats who were brought up by kangeroos, ā€˜rareā€™ photos of world war 2 bombers and kangeroos trying to find their way back to Australia to wade through. Not to mention all the vanity parade selfies of everyday people who donā€™t understand that not everyone will be excited to see their latest wardrobe.

3 Likes

Hmmm. My copy is a full size paperback that cost less than half that amount. I see s copy on Amazon for 79.95. Still steep, but nowhere near the price you encountered. I should mention that that book is considered one of the basic ā€œbiblesā€ on the subject.

David
I suppose the difference might be that I am looking at amazon.ca while you are probably on amazon.com.

However when I can afford it I think that book will be a must get. I grew up reading 1001 Arabian Nights and the Hardy Boys with a flashlight under my bed covers, advanced to boy scout wilderness guides as I grew older and have never stopped reading since. In the meantime the ultimate guide to the ketogenic diet I bought for a few dollars the other day does provide 150 sumptuous looking recipes. I do see though that this is going to require somewhat more menu planning than I am used to.

1 Like

Dare I say it? I hate Facebook, or as a patient of mine calls it, ā€œBookfaceā€. I like my life just a bit more private, thank you!

this is cheaper, but use the sources, his opinions can get mixed
http://aaron.emascc.com/diet/ebooks/Lyle_McDonald_-_The_Ketogenic_Diet.pdf

this may help too

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Jack, much appreciated!

1 Like

Well, hope I am not being insensitive here, but in Norwegian (my native tongue) the expression Facebook would be a book that is associated with, well, the gas that comes out of some people after an overdose of beansā€¦

3 Likes

:laughing: Well, that describes my view of Facebook pretty accurately . . .

1 Like

Ditto! My nickname for Facebook (used it for 1 day only) is "Zombies Rising,":robot: I, too, am a very private person, and donā€™t welcome the deluge of people? emerging from the shadows! LOL

Once you join Facebook, chances are, the first person you bump into there is the fellow who lent you $20 when you were at college half a century ago and you never got around to repaying. And since Facebook has a direct feed to google, anyone who googles your name in the future will end up on your facebook page, be it you ex-mother-in-law or the schoolteacher you hated and dreadedā€¦
Anyway this was somewhat off topic. Yesterday I discovered an excellent replacement for the six pack that goes out the day my ketogenic diet starts. Itā€™s a sparkling white wine from Portugal, a vinho verde as they call it, 9 percent alcohol, dry as it gets and the same cost as the beer 6-pack.

I recommend this book

and this one :slight_smile:

With a title of ā€œFat and Cholesterol are Good for Youā€ I can just see many older and some younger dieticians flushing red and about to explode. After all, that reverses just about everything they were taught, have believed in and have been passing on to their clients for many years. As a result, unfortunately, many of their clients ended up obese and/or with diabetes type 2. Imagine someone like Dr. Dean Omish who staked out an entire career and numerous books trying to convince people that eating more carbs and zero fat was the elixir of life, I wonder what he must feel like now. Of course we all need to keep an open mind to new information that comes along, so that our choice of lifestyle or diet does not become like fanatically held religious views.