No Sugar?

At work I'm currently training someone who has taken interest in me having diabetes. She asks what I am doing all the time,etc. which doesn't bother me but then she tries to tell me what to do to make my diabetes better...

One of my pet peeves is when people who don't have diabetes or a close family member who does and they try to tell me how to manage my diabetes.

Don't get me wrong I am not bothered by someone who asked if I can eat something or not. It's more when people ask and then go on to tell me anyway what I should eat or that I should special order food from America to be shipped to me.

Hence my question...

Do you type 1's out there not eat sugar? Are you super strict with your diet? I'm just curious. My Dr.'s have always said I can eat what I want as long as I cover it. I don't over do it, but I like to have one sweet thing per day to get it out of my system:).

Tell me what you think though...I'm just curious how strict you all are.

Thanks!!!

dear liz,when i grew up as a child i ate no sugar,candy,etc..., but now after 75 years t1 i just eat healthy & count carbs or whatever agrees with me. i also have stomach problems,gastroparesis,some foods don't agree w. me,etc...

Hi 50 yrs. Type 1, if it has a nutrition chart, I eat and count for it....eg. small Mars Bar, 29 CHO for 3, thus I count 10 Carbs and cover with insulin. But again, a once in awhile thing......also I know that little Mar Bar raises sugar 3 points. (Canadian Scales). Knowing how and what affects you, in what way is what is important. So, I agree with doctor, and do what you do maybe once a week, rather than once a day. My 2 cents!

I do not eat sugar only fructose in small amounts. It is more a habit after two decades. That the sugar seems to cause digestion problems for me makes it easier. Perhaps my digestive tract has unlearned how to process it. In evolutionary terms sugar is very new complement in our food. Some researchers even see connections between the widespread use of sugar in food and the advent of T2 diabetes in broad levels of the population.

:) I agree...I know that it is a little excessive but I hate feeling restricted because of diabetes. My numbers haven't suffered from it because I am getting super good at counting carbs. My friends make fun of me because I can tell them how many carbs is in ANYTHING.

@Holger: It's interesting and I notice that the less I eat sugar the less I crave it. I eat only in small doses (1 small thing per day) and prefer naturally sweet fruit and I even use Stivia to sweeten coffee. BUT I think my problem is more with people associating eating too much sugar with type 1 diabetes..because technically we should be eating a healthy diet that anyone should follow-right???

I eat sugary stuff pretty regularly as I use jelly beans/ gatorade when I work out. I'm not a huge sweets fan but have an occasional cookie or ice cream. I'm much more viscerally attracted to potatoes. I can't walk into a grocery store without thinking about the potato chip aisle.

A lot of it i the serving size though? A serving of ice cream is like 1/2 c (I think?) for maybe 30-35 carbs depending on how many cookies, chips, M&Ms, etc. are in it. Somebody recently had an FB post that said "the serving size for Girl Scout cookies needs to be a sleeve...". I think that if your ratio is set pretty accurately, eating bigger servings can be ok. A lot of times, I think I'm personally inclined to "overbolus" to be safe and, of course, end up eating more! heh heh heh...

Liz, I'm not a T1 so I won't comment on the bolus-for-sugar thing, but I do think it's inappropriate for people at work to get into your business about what you're eating. I'd find a polite way to nip that kind of behavior in the bud. Usually people mean well and are concerned, so I usually say something like, "Oh, please don't worry about what I eat. I discuss everything with my doctor and my dietician." Sometimes folks will take the hint.

WHAT A GOOD IDEA! BUT I TRY TO EXPLAIN THAT DIABETES IS NOT TREATED TODAY LIKE YEARS AGO & BEING ON THE PUMP I COUNT CAL. & COVER IT W. INSULIN...THEY STILL DON'T GET IT...SO....I IGNORE IT .

YOU ALSO HAVE TO KNOW YOUR BODY...SOME THINGS AGREE W. YOU, SOME THINGS DON'T ( FOOD )...
FOR INSTANCE A MUFFIN IS 65CARB,PANCAKES IS 65CARB.& IT WORKS FOR ME.PERIOD...

NOT TOO OFTEN,THOUGH...

I find that all too often free, unsolicited advice is worth what you pay for it. It is often hard to get the point across that it is not welcomed and to do it tactfully - at least for me.

Our diabetes does vary... If I eat more than 40 carbs at a time I don't feel well, even though I know very well how much insulin to take and do in fact take the right amount. Since I don't want to feel ill after eating, I tend toward small meals, not many carbs in any one meal or snack, and consider my intake to be moderate rather than low carb. I include such as a slice of Udi's whole grain bread, or a serving of ice cream, fruit, or a bit of dark chocolate at times. For any one of us, it takes some experimentation to find what works for us.

I AGREE WITH YOU. ME TOO.

shohana, I am so glad that we agree! You are a real inspiration for us all -- but you've heard that before. Cheers!

SMILE!

In respect to "we should be eating a healthy diet that anyone should follow-right?" I would say: yes, and sugar is not part of a healthy diet! Really, we do not need sugar and some researchers even find it has toxic side effects.

I just have to say, I can't stand when the "Diabetes Police" show up when I'm eating!! I usually try and cut them short by saying something like, "I didn't know the Diabetes Police were in the building." Normally that gets a laugh & it's over.

I have been T1 for 37 with no complications.
I agree with what your docs have said in one of your last paragraphs. I am the same as you as far as "a sweet thing each day" goes.
There are other foods worse than sweet foods for diabetics, most those in the "startch" catagorey > pasta and potatos, but as long as you are covered you will be fine. But if you eat carbs like that it is nice to have a protein because that extends the time period that the carbs are released.
If you haven't talked to a CDE dietition then it's a good thing to do.