Nothing else gets people off medication for diabetes

I have never heard of people getting off medication for diabetes and keeping healthy, by following Diabetes Uk or the ADA’s dietary advice. I have, however, come across a number of low carbers, who have achieved this.
To me this is the evidence I need to show that low-carb is the way. t’s probably only possible for type 2 or any other type that presents as type 2, but nevertheless, I think it’s better for type 1’s.
I have read of type 1s who improved their health, including reversing retinopathy or kidney problems and avoided the need for amputation.
I have tried to find out if the “don’t eat low carb, or the increased fat will kill you from heart attack or stroke” scare tactic has any validity. I searched for myself and even emailed Gary Taubes, who says this data doesn’t exist, because the treatment for these conditions has improved so much since dietary advice to diabetics changed from " eat minimal carbs" to “eat whatever you fancy as long as it’s high carb.”

I got off diabetes medications following the ADA 1800-calorie exchange-based diet, but I was told to modify it to limit to 1000 mg sodium/day, and other things I had read caused me to limit back down to about 1500-1600 calories/day. The other changes I made were to go back to whole-foods only and to limit my consumption of meat.

I did not go “low carb”; in fact, I came to the understanding that a healthy diet for those who have diabesity with metabolic syndrome is more like 15-20% protein, 25-30% fat, and 50-60% carbs. The issues are where the protein, fat, and carbs are coming from and how much sodium one is consuming.

I have been (diabetes) medication free for 4.5 years and counting…

I have to say that I’ve been a Type 1 since I was 10 and am now 45 and after trying all those diets and meds I still take insulin by pump everyday. I even went through a pancres transplant in the early 90’s it only worked for a few years and when it failed I was back to the pump! I really hope this works for others but it didn’t for me.

If I went up to 50-60% carbs, I’d need a shed load of medication. I’m still taking Metformin with low carb and know that if I want to get of it, I’ll have to go down to almost zero. I know there are one or two people who can manage the 50-60% carb diet, but not many. You are very lucky to be able to do this.

This is why I state that “T2” is a spectrum of different disorders lumped together as one by our medical system. My issue was directly obesity-related, and probably caught relatively early. While my mom is T2, I would not be surprised if that were specifically and directly obesity-related as well. Yours would sound to either be related to a different insulin-resistance/impaired glucose tolerance trigger, or not to have been caught until further along in its progression. (My fasting bg was 170 at time of diagnosis; based on what I’ve been reading here and elsewhere, that’s relatively low.)

I for one use a lowcarb diet with some soy products to make my lifestyle more healthy. I am still have to use my Byetta, Metformin and Glipizide to maintain my levels. It doesnt matter what I put in my system, I still have to use my meds. I wish all the luck to the ones that get off their meds but my Endo has reassured me that I will probably be on some sort of med for the rest of my life which is OK with me as long as I am alive. When one has neuropothy, high B/P and vision problems due to Diabetes, I also find it hard to believe that a change in diet can eliminate all the medications that tied together in these diseases. I have accepted it and strive forth supporting research to help find a cure, if not for me but for future generations. Good luck to all!!

Google for r. Katharine Morrison. She’s a Scottish doctor, who believes in low carb. She has patients whose retinopathy has improved and one who was due to have his leg amputated, before low carbing, which healed it. there was an article about it in the Scottish Daily Herald newspaper.
At the moment. I’m trying to get my husband’s (type 1) kidneys better. He has been feeling much better since I cut his carb intake, by what I put on the table in front of him. he’s quite happy to eat meat or fish and vegetables forr dinner every night. Unfortunately I can’t do anything about what he eats in the office canteen.:>)

I started lowering my carbs July 9th, 2008. I used a simple goal of reducing my TDD average from 90+ units to < 70 units.

In these almost three weeks my BGs have been the best ever, I’ve lost 6.6 lbs as of this morning, and my basal needs have droppedsignificantly, about 80% of previous.

I can’t comment on the heart thing, but BG-wise, so far a modest change has been awesome!

Be careful what you read, because there’s a lot of misinformation about diet out there. Make sure you are using a source you trust. I still regularly encounter the idea that we MUST eat carbs for our brains to function. That’s not true, we can synthesize glucose and our brains work fine on ketones. Also dietary ketosis is Not the same as diabetic ketoacidosis.r

there are 2 ways to go with type 2. Either you follow the ADA and Diabetes Uk path and eat loads of carbs, whilst your condition "progresses " and your medication increases and so does the risk of complications Or you low carb it and with luck can get off meds and reduce your numbers and all your risks. At the least you’ll not “progress” and reduce your meds.
For type 1s the choices are Low carb/low dose insulin or High carb/high dose insuling

>>For type 1s the choices are Low carb/low dose insulin or High carb/high dose insuling

Maybe it should read “For type 1s the choices are Low carb/low dose insulin and controlled weight or High carb/high dose insuling and being fat!”

I should have added the weight thing, since I’m battling with that one too.And I’m a type 2 who wasn’t slim anyway, but peaked at about 230pounds on Gliclazide. I got off it a year ago and have got down to below 200 pounds and still going

I have stated before, I am not on a low-carb diet, have never been. I have been on the ADA diet – and following it, along with sodium reduction, I’ve managed to get off oral antidiabetes medications and stay there over four years, with my numbers in non-diabetic range.

I believe the medically-correct answer for each person with diabetes is an individual answer based on the etiology of the glucose metabolism disorder and at what time in its progression it was detected.

Not quite true. I eat a high carb diet, and take insulin to control. I would be characterized as a bit of a string bean - tall and skinny.

Hey!

Got to agree with you Judith on every point here!!! I agree “they” would have to write a new book for all of the diabetics out here one by one!!!