November Camping

We bought a new trailer, so we (my husband, myself, and our two Golden Retrievers) spent two weekends troubleshooting the trailer while camping. The first trip was to Mount Gilead, OH, where almost nothing in the trailer worked–no stove or microwave, and only one electric outlet was functional. Unhelpfully, it stormed all night. The second trip was to Maumee Bay State Park, OH, where it was cold, cold, cold.

Mount Gilead

Hailstones bounce. Driving
rain hammers the metal roof.
Soggy autumn leaves.

Surrounded by silver walls,
I hear cave people murmur.

Maumee Bay State Park

Maumee Bay sparkles,
biting winds ruffle the waves.
The fall sun glows cold.

A flock of Juncoes forage
before the winter snows fall.

4 Likes

Beautiful, @Trudy1! This piece makes me long to get off my computer and spend some time in the woods :evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Thanks, @EmilyC. We live among oak trees and watch our bird feeders in the winter, but already I can hardly wait for spring trailer-camping in the woods!

1 Like

Lovely evocative poem, Trudy. Enjoy your camping.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, Maureen.

1 Like

…“I hear cave people murmur”…Great poem, Trudy, and I echo @Pastelpainter’s sentiment—very evocative. I can hear the hailstones now!..Did you get the kinks worked out?

1 Like

Thanks, Judith. When I can’t sleep–like in the middle of a storm–I write poetry. Yes, everything worked on the second trip, so we were able to cook and stay warm enough. The one good thing about both trips was that the trailer’s temperature kept my insulin well!

1 Like