November is Recipe Share Month!

If you have not tried the low carb tortillas such as those from “La Tortilla” or from “Mission” I would urge you to try them. The ones from La Tortilla are 10g carbs, 7 g fiber and the ones from Mission are 13g carbs, 10g fiber. Although I generally make a more elaborate version, here is my enchilada recipe

BSC’s Beef, Cheese and Onion Enchiladas

2 lbs hamburger
2 packs taco seasoning
10 8" low carb tortillas
1/2 c water
1/2 lb cheddar cheese
2 large onions, diced
1 28 oz can low carb enchilada sauce (almost all are low carb)
Seasoning to taste

Brown and drain crumbled hamburger, add taco seasoning and recommended water (check the taco seasoning pack). Cook according to seasoning directions. Grate cheese into a large bowl. Coat 9x14" pan with a layer of olive oil. Fill each tortilla with a generous helping of beef, onions and cheese and place tightly back to back in pan. Try to use about 2/3 of the cheese, leaving a generous amount for topping. I’ll often use more than a 1/2 lb. Make sure the ends of the enchiladas are snug. Pour and spread enchilada sauce on top. Add additional seasoning if you wish (ie. chili powder) and then spread the remaining cheese on top. Bake at 325 degrees for a half hour. It should be bubbling. Serve immediately.

Total (for 2 enchiladas) 38 g carbs, 18 g fiber (making your own taco seasoning can drop it down to 14 g net carbs).