Numb feet

My toes have been swollen and kinda numb for months and I was diagnosed Type II 2 months ago. I was A1c of 9.8 and BG was 243. BG was 139 the other day and I was curious… When the BG gets a little more under control as I learn better habits, will the foot problem get better? And what happens when the D starts to affect the eyes?

Hello Bobby. The numbness, tingling, or pain in the toes, feet, legs (sometimes on hands and fingers too), insensitivity to pain and temperature can be manifestations of diabetic neuropathy. This is common in diabetics. It’s a nerve disotder that we can develop overtime. Often it appears to be more common in diabetics who have problems controlling blood glucose level, high levels of blood fat, high blood pressure and those who are overweight. Lifestyle like alcohol and smoking may be a factor too. The best way to prevent neuropathy is to keep your blood glucose levels as close to the normal range as possible. Best you see your doctor…

Hey Bobby! Thanks for posting, I have been type 2 for about 10 years. I developed neuropathy in my feet about 2 years ago and that is exactly how it started out. My sugars were too high for too long and it damaged the nerves in my feet making them sore and tingly at first then they became numb and painful. I have been on various meds for the pain and over the last several months i have, with the help of insulin, lowered my sugars enough that the pain has subsided and my feet don’t give me so much trouble. So far, thank God I don’t have trouble with my eyes unless my numbers are really high. So to answer your question, yes, when you get better control of your numbers and learn more, your foot problem may get somewhat better. When the nerves are damaged, as they do with neuropathy, they can not be repaired but since you are so new to this problem, you have a chance of getting your feeling back if you work hard and fast! Good luck, and God bless you.