Okay D-OC - What Kinds of Recipes Do You Want to See

@Gerri - Indeed there are a lot of resources out there on the Internet. One thing that is tough to filter out is all the misinformation. I have a belief that one can eat low carb, using foods in a NATURAL state, and manage their diabetes. I managed to go from an A1C of 17.1 to 6.2, then 5.0 in less than 6 months using Low Carbing, but I also refuse to eat garbage, or play with my food too much.
A lot of my success came from lurking here at TuDiabetes, and now it is time to give back.

@Karen - Nothing drives me nuts more than a recipe that does not give a yield or servings.

@Helen Howes - I am not a fan of artificial sweeteners either. One sweetener that I found that is 100% natural is the Stevia leaf. It sweetens items, but has not upped my blood sugar at all. I would like to focus any sweetened items with that. Otherwise, I try to let thing sweeten naturally.

@Pastelpainter - Potato is banned because it is too high carb? You could try to use cauliflower to thicken your soups, as long as it is cooked separate. I have luck with that. Other than that, I find reduction works as well.
I love soups, and it is the time of year for it too!

@Corinna - I love the link, and it is a lovely resource!

@Donna - Comfort food then? One pot meals? Sounds up my alley! I find that the meals always taste better the next day!

Okay, noted!

I haven’t found misinformation on on-line low carb recipe sites. Carb counts are accurate, directions are straight forward & there are usually reviews of the recipes. What do you mean? I’ve visited a wealth of sites.

I’ve been eating this way for over 2,5 years (30-35 carbs daily) & I don’t eat garbage:) My A1c has been 5.2 for over a year. I do eat food in a natural state, organic when available. I haven’t seen food in an “unnatural state” suggested on low carb sites. It’s low fat recipes that call for all kinds of frakenfoods like egg substitutes, non-dairy chemical laden junk, faux meats & cheeses, a reliance on soy, margarine & other unhealthy fats, texturized vegetable protein, etc.

I am requesting receipes for a Type 1 child (picky eater). (1) I would like to see low fat/low carb recipes for holiday desserts. I have no trouble finding high fat/low carb recipes. By not offering sweets on a regular basis and not having them in the house, my niece very rarely requests cookies, cakes or pies. But on holidays, it would be nice to be able to offer a nice-sized slice of pie, after dinner. I can do this with pumpkin. I need a good low carb apple pie recipe, with little to no artificial sweeteners. Mock apple with Jicama or chayote, I would love try one of those (2) I would like vegetarian recipes for someone who refuses to touch tofu, beans or textured textured vegetable protein. I am interested in using beans, but hiding them so you can’t see beans are used (same with the textured vegetable protein… with spices added, it would have to taste like ground beef) and (3) all kinds of free food and recipes (preferably low fat) for eating between meals and snacks, lot of veggie and salad recipes okay.

@Gerri - I am not talking about low carb sites. I am talking about sites that talk about how to manage your diabetes. I hate Frankenfoods. Soy products. Vegetarian sites. Things like making cauliflower into “rice”. Don’t get me wrong - I guess that it has a place, but I think that if you were to want to eat a stir fry dish, and you must “trick” yourself into eating rice, you are kind of missing the point. Cauliflower is not meant to look like rice.
An example is with a quick search on low carb recipes, I came up with this gem: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/cherry_glazed_pork_chops.html
Okay, so that recipe has diet soda in it, and it looks NOTHING like cherry glazed pork chops. It is not even really appetizing.
What I am looking to do is inspire people to use ingredients that are available to them, natural, whole foods, and low carb as possible. I want people to eat real. A common problem people have is that their families also have to eat with them.
I am thinking recipes that can be converted along with the recipes their families are eating.

I’m with you on those pork chops–eeek. Looks like something from a school cafeteria. So much for presentation.

Personally, I don’t think grating cauliflower as a rice substitute is missing the point any more than pureeing cauliflower to use a thickener in soup. Cauliflower is healthy & what’s wrong with grating it? Not unreal being grated & it’s something different from the usual protein/vegetable looking plate. Don’t understand cauliflower not being intended to be grated. It’s the kind of recipe that helps the entire family transition to eating lower carb. I’ve had many discussions with people who believe they’ll be living a life of utter deprivation by changing what they eat. Not true at all. They think they’ll be living on boring salads & hamburger.

I entertain a lot. I don’t cook something different for myself. My guests eat low carb without knowing it, including fabulous desserts.

I use almond flour for muffins, pancakes, biscuits & cakes & why not? As for using pork rinds for breading & the other things, I find them revolting.

Agree 100% that whole foods prepared in healthy ways is best. I mostly use stevia for sweetening, though it has limitations.

I actually agree with you, WDC, and no offense meant to the people who like cauliflower as potato or rice recipes but I have not found many of the “low carb” recipes appealing at all. When I stopped eating sugar I wasn’t interest in sugar substitutes, when I stopped eating meat I wasn’t interested in meat substitutes and at least so far no “diabetic” or “low carb” recipes or foods have appealed to me. I would just as soon skip the rice, desserts or bread if I can’t eat “the real thing”. I was trying to appeal to the wide range of tastes with my above suggestion and I really liked the proposed title…lol…but for me I would like the way I actually cook… carefully selected recipes with natural local ingredients, complex spicing, often either a specific ethnic background or fusion, nice presentations, but reduced flour, no sugar, no rice. I think the world’s cuisines have moderately low carb foods. And I agree with Gerri, it’s possible to make things your family and your guests will rave over but are good for your diabetes. My personal bias, I do admit, is that I don’t do this low carb; I have found for my food tastes, I can only go moderate low (under 100) and that’s a choice I’m willing to make.

If you want to see a non diabetes based cook book that does have alot about thinking of you food check out Alton Brown’s first cookbook. It reads like a text book. He has been pretty open on his recent weight loss do to low carbing it so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him put out his own low/lower carb cookbook.

I’m one who likes cauliflower also. Love it curried with coconut milk & grated coconut!

@Jim Lewis - Cool, I will check it out! I LOVE Alton!

Good Eats was the first cooking show I could watch the geek element just screams to me. He takes the time to not only say how to but why do.

Hmm 20 years experience should pitch a Diabetes related cooking show to Food network lol

Gerri - There is nothing WRONG with using cauliflower in the place of rice. Thing is, while rice is a staple in Asian cuisine, there is by no means the ONLY thing there. Believe it or not, Asian cuisine can be low carb. The traditional diet has a lot of food that is regional, and low carb to boot. That is what I mean when I say that people are missing the point.
I also refuse to cook something different for everyone. LOL. I have enough of that at work! What I do is I take the base meal, and transform it into something suitable for low carb, AND for the other people in my family. An example is what I made last night:
Philly cheese steaks with Oka cheese (A semi soft surface ripened cheese from here in Quebec.)
I made the steak mixture with a lot of peppers, mushrooms, and a red wine reduction. while I put it on a crusty Ciabbata for the family, I set aside a portion for myself without the bread. I served myself the meat and cheese mixture over baby organic spinach, using the sauce as a “dressing.” Total carbs - 18 grams even before the fibre content of the meal. I had a great meal, no one had to suffer, and everyone wins.

That is what I am after.

Never seen it, but there’s a low carb Food Network show. Think there may be more than one. George Stella’s one & he’s got several cookbooks.

I also am thinking of examining ancient grains like farro, quinoa, and others. Organic barley for example makes a great “risotto” that would e a nice side dish to something. Perhaps even farro would work as well. Something with high fiber.
The thing is that I am speaking of day to day affairs. What I am seeing is a lot of people are stuck buying things premade because they simply are not instructed how to make the “real” foods that we are talking about here.