Old Medical Records

Out of curiosity, I requested my medical records from the doctor that diagnosed me with D in 2008. I wanted to see what my lab values were & the notes she took with each visit. Every time she saw me she wrote, "NON COMPLIANT T2 DM". Seeing this made me a little frustrated. At the time, I was following the oral medication regime that she prescribed for me. It wasn't working because she had misdiagnosed me. I just don't understand why she wouldn't test me further when she saw the oral meds weren't' working. Why would she automatically assume I wasn't doing my part? I can remember crying to her on multiple visits because I was so confused & left like my body was failing me & like I was doing every thing wrong.

Thanks for listening & letting me get out some of my past & present frustrations. :)

Man, that pisses me off! Unfortunately it's typical of the attitude of medical professionals re diabetes and a reminder of why we need to advocate for ourselves!

Same thing happened to me, jriccardi. I had all the classic Type 1 symptoms yet the doc refused to do anything except try one oral med after another. He was convinced I was Type 2 because I was 27, "too old" for Type 1.

I was begging to be put on insulin. Doc never offered to refer me to an endo either because he thought he knew how to treat me.

I understand your frustration but I would be angry, too. I think that doctor did not give your case enough time and consideration. I can't tell your age from your photo but you're an adult. Perhaps this is what confused the diagnosing doctor. There's been plenty of coverage. however, in the medical literature that T1D can be diagnosed at any age. The recent emergence of T2 in children is another indicator that age is not the telltale indicator of diabetes type.

You're not alone at this site in your misdiagnosis. The doctor's incorrect conclusion that you were simply noncompliant relieved her, in her mind, of taking any responsibility for your poor progress.

You have a correct diagnosis now and I would take comfort in that. Your case proves once again that the patient needs to take an active interest in his/her health status. That includes doing some basic review on the internet accessing respected sites. I see the doctor's role as a part of my health care team, one that places me as the senior member.

It must be terribly frustrating for a doctor to have patients who won't follow instructions, end every doctor has patients like that. But to ASSUME it without checking the actual facts . . . that's just plain incompetence IMO. If not outright malfeasance.

You're right & I'm so glad that I became an advocate for myself!

Same experience here! I was 22 years old. I guess because I was slightly overweight,not a child & have a history of type 2 that's what she thought I was too. I just recently saw an endo for the first time. It's just a shame that all of that time was wasted.

I was 22 years old when I was told I have type 2. You're exactly right, it took the responsibility off of her. She even made sure to note that she "spent 40 minutes" with me discussing the possible complications of diabetes. This never happened. NO doctor has even spent 40 minutes with me.

I can imagine it would be totally frustrating for them when people don't follow up and or do their part for their own health. She could clearly see how frustrated I was. To the point she ended up treating me for depression that came soon after my diagnosis. Such a shame.

Yes, I'm sure it's frustrating for them when that happens. But, I worked in behavioral health and I know you just keep working with people and don't give up. And you look for other options as well as keep yourself educated to know for example, something basic like correctly diagnosing type. And bottom line? You don't lower your expectations for ALL your patients which is pretty much what has happened in the medical profession and it's sad and a disservice to us all including the doctors who swear to "do no harm".

Agree, Zoe. 100%

And I stand by my comment about malfeasance. Failure to deal with each patient as an individual, each set of facts as distinct, prejudging of the case based on someone else, and blaming the patient for one's own laziness add up to a clear abdication of responsibility and a betrayal of the oath -- I don't care what the reason is.

Can't possibly hurt, and as you say, it may help someone else. A clear opportunity to "pay it forward."

I couldn't have said it any better myself, Zoe!

I totally agree, David (dns)!

When I looked up her contact information this was my intention (along with getting my medical records). However, she closed her practice. I can't seem to find contact information for her that is current. When she closed her practice she transferred care of her patients (and their records) to another local practice- that's how I was able to get my records.

I just requested my medical records from the hospital where I was diagnosed, too! More out of curiosity - I was 11, and this was 17 years ago. I just have no idea what my nimbers were, and I’d like to know.

I saw my medical record from a doctor I only started seeing six months ago. I was referred to as an “uncontrolled diabetic”. My A1c is 6.2!! What more do they want?

I think it's great that you are doing that. I wanted to know where I started from. I was never told exact lab values and now that I know the importance of it, it was time to have that information.

Although sometimes Doc's will put specific wording into a note that mat say things like non-compliant and/or uncontrolled make sure what you are looking at is NOT an explanation of a diagnosis code. Let's say first time you saw the MD they took a random blood sugar and it was 200 mg/dl. That information is enough for a diagnosis of uncontrolled diabetes. Most medical records pull the previous diagnosis codes for your new appointment. Unless the Doc is good about changing those, you theoretically could have the "uncontrolled" diagnosis forever, regardless of what your A1c is. Furthermore, with an A1c of 6.2%, if the Doc saw some low CBG's scattered in your numbers they could use a Diagnosis code of uncontrolled. From what I can tell most insurance stuff is looking at a diagnosis code of Type 1 vs Type 2. They rarely care if the diagnosis includes controlled or uncontrolled (for example if you wanted an insulin pump). I agree that they should be updating these things better- just giving you some possible reasons for such wording.

Unfortunately dietary choices have so much to do with blood glucose this has been an easy "crutch" for Doc's to fall back on. In their mind what they had done HAS to work and if it isn't, then YOU have to be doing something wrong. With the general lack of appropriate knowledge from PCP's for even for the management of Type 2 DM it makes a "crutch" more like a wheelchair they roll every single patient into. This is something I have been fighting against for about 5 years and it has seemingly made little difference.

I highly suggest everyone periodically ask for copies of their medical records. When I review mine, I am always amazed at not only what is omitted but also what is added that did not happen. I have had some ommissions/additions that were so blatant and actually painted such a false picture that I filled out arm loads of paperwork and actually had some things changed and others redacted totally- after the fact. It may surprise many people what shows up in your medical charts. One of my favorite previous doctors actually dictated their notes in front of patients so they can hear exactly what is going in the notes.