Omnipod 5 shipping

Has anyone received Omnipod 5 yet? We called Insulet and they said they have little idea when these will be ready to ship? It seems odd that they are clueless after FDA approval.

1 Like

My Dr had me on a list at the end of January and said she would let me know when she could send the prescription. I still haven’t heard anything. It is very frustrating. I am eager to learn if anyone has actually started with the new Omnipod.

Yes true extremely frustrating. As I am typing this my daughter in LOW and is in her. College apartment alone. Just praying she is fine . We have waited for O5 for so long. Did not switch to t-slim thinking omnipod 5 will be shipped soon

Also did you fill the form on insulet website with your doctors information? We got an email saying we are on the priority list after that. So we know we are in the list.

i had a long conversation with a couple of the very pleasant insulet representatives regarding the dash and the 5…right now, the omnipod 5 is only shipping for those in the clinical trials-state by state. More importantly, as of right now, they are having issues with android 12, ios, and are currently only successful with certain phones on Android 11, although their pdm seems to work fine…i doubt it will release until the software is fixed…forcing android phones not to update usually limits many apps and security, and Android 12 was released for thr Samsung s10 in January… reverting to former versions of Android is usually very problematic

4 Likes

(post deleted by author)

This is interesting to me. I was just reading about AndroidAPS looping with Dash pods, and those also seem to be working only on Android 11 and older.

I’ve noticed this myself just with connecting Dexcom to Xdrip. It seems like the more security advances the operating system developers make, the more difficult it is to keep Bluetooth devices connected.

1 Like

with xdrip, i haven’t had any problems as long as i manually update to the latest version via apk…the old update from the app doesn’t seem to work anymore… as far as Android aps, i haven’t messed with it yet, but xdrip has always worked for me with the latest version and a <=100 day old transmitter… over 101 and it fails

insuletid.com seemed to be fine, however, their passwords now require at least 1 of 3 special characters, so many old passwords probably don’t work… they still had my 2010 info, but it seems like the omnipod 5 dexcom integration still needs some work…the rep did tell me the omnipod 5’s goal is to be delivered via the pharmacy, similar to freestyle, dexcom, glucometers, syringes, etc…

I stand corrected. I gues it got FDA clearance on 1/28. I guess it just must be the software. The PDM, which I believe is a locked down Samsung Galaxy S10, works fine.

the rep had an extremely short list of compatible phones, but the issue seemed to be the android 12 update in January 2022…downgrading Android back to 11 for most of us is not easy, and you have to switch to developer/engineering mode to avoid updates which causes additional problems…insulet is probably downplaying the omnipod 5 until they are certain the software works for android 12, 13, 14, etc…i looked into the dash looping software a little, but it seemed to fail if you check Android 12…

according to the rep, although the omnipod 5 does not work with ios yet, the programmers are working on it as well as being able to switch seamlessly between the phone app or the pdm…i had a Samsung s10 before, and received the android 12 update in January…they should be able to fix it soon…i have used xdrip for around 6 years now, and if the glooko/clarity omnipod5 loop doesn’t have options for customized alerts for predicted low, low, high, persistent high, ill probably stick to xdrip and the pdm…i already feel like batman in my cargo pants with the phone, insulin, glucose tabs, keys, wallet, etc

1 Like

I just did - I had not done that before. Thank you!

i would not worry about developer mode, most likely when you receive your s10, it’ll already have Android 12 on it. when the omnipod5 mass email goes out, im 99% sure it will be after they fix the ios, Android 12, 13 issues…im actually glad they are concerned with making all phones work…the omnipod5 works fine with the pdm and a lesser corporation (Boeing 737max)would have released it before it worked as advertised

There’s never any reason to worry about developer mode. It’s pretty standard practice to enable these options as soon as you get your phone. I know everyone in my circle of friends and family does. Google hides “Easter eggs” in every Android release that can only be found by enabling developer mode, like games. In reality, it’s no secret at all, and the interwebs are flooded with instructions surrounding a new Android release to get nearly everyone to enable developer mode. That’s also where a lot of highly useful settings are hiding, like how to fix volume or timing issues with Bluetooth headsets. Even some extra color/theme display customizations.

There’s really nothing in that menu that will harm your phone if you accidentally click on something. Worst case scenario, you make the phone show you too much information (debugging mode or feedback tracking) and you don’t know what it means. And that’s easily undone.

Also, it’s really easy to rollback your device to an older version of Android. For some devices, you can download an app to do it for you, just by telling it which older version you want. If not, you can nearly always go to the website of your phone manufacturer and download the older operating system. It can be installed from the screen where you would usually search for system updates, by clicking on “local upgrade”, and telling it to install the file you just downloaded.

If an Android version is all that’s holding you back from looping or otherwise using a new system, don’t let that stop you!

1 Like

in 2019 i tried to go back to Android 9 from 10 and the downgrade bricked the phone…maybe going back to 11 is easier, but for me, developer mode turned off nfc payments, and created other odd warnings, and the downgrade never worked. seemed like Google phones were easier to downgrade than Samsung phones, but for me, its not worth it.

1 Like

this reminds me of the geico commercial where the gecko asks them what they are talking about… again, the omnipod rep told me only some of the people in the trial could use their phones, specifically older Samsung and google phones on android 11, no ios, but his point was that they wont release it until the issue is fixed, even though they have them in stock and ready to send out…he said he’s heard a few weeks, and he’s also heard more… he also assured me the omnipod5s goal is to be released like the dash via pharmacy and upgrading should be simple… on another note, i am enjoying my new dash pods with u200 lyumjev (using pens to fill is a little odd and bubbly), but im not using any additional basal, and easily making the 3 days work…the pdm and the separate phone/watch for xdrip is a little annoying, but its not as bad as i thought it would be

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

I think the Dexcom G7 will be released sometime this year. It’s supposed to work with Omnipod 5 to create a closed loop - Dexcom sends blood sugar readings to the Omnipod and the Omnipod doses as it sees fit. Basal programming will be critical to keep the closed loop accurate. Here’s to wishing and hoping it’s good!

Just an FYI, this isn’t true for the Omnipod 5, nor Medtronic’s system. Only Tandem relies on your programmed basal rates and you having exceptionally accurate settings. Omnipod’s algorithm is based entirely on your weight and total daily dose of insulin. The one and only time your basal rates matter is with the very first time you use an Omnipod 5 pod… And even then, accuracy doesn’t matter. What seems to matter is that the total amount of insulin programmed as basal is equivalent to 50% of your total daily dose. (That’s per commentary from one of the nurses working the clinical trial.)

While I love Control-IQ and it’s really changed my life, I think it’s really highlighted how difficult it is for the average diabetic to optimize their pump settings, or get helpful support in this department from the medical professionals. I’m really curious to see if this sort of algorithm that takes these problematic settings variables out of the equation can outperform Control-IQ.

I’m losing faith that Tandem will release their next pump before my current out-of-warranty one dies (they pushed the Mobi back again!!), so I’m looking a lot harder at Omnipod 5 now. I would love to consider Looping with AndroidAPS and Dash pods, but the fact that pods aren’t under warranty concerns me.

2 Likes