Omnipod as first pump for foot dragging athletic diabetic type?

Been putting off a pump for a while and would like to hear from others who are using the pod. I hate the idea of permanent body openings …

What’s the good, the bad and the ugly?

Thanks for your thoughts

Omnipod doesnt require a tube which I like. Others do. Not sure if they are shunts or what … Like the pod because it seems safer

Just to let you know…with the pod I have much better control…and much more freedom…if I want to work out, I can use a temp basal and work out without the fear of bottoming out. I LOVE my POD!!! I would have it no other way!
I can’t believe I was as resistant to the pump as I was…cause now I LOVE IT!

Jim,
The Pod uses a slightly modified approach to attaching the feed to your skin. It’s basically the same as I use on the end of an infusion set hose, but the pump itself is directy attached to it. Has to be replaced on the same schedule as hose based pumps are, every 3 days or so. It is NOT a permanent shunt, just a canula from the base side of the pump throguh the skin on a temporary basis, OK?

The good: Pumps are awesome. I did MDI for 8 years, then switched to a minimed (tubed) pump for almost 5 years before switching to the omnipod. I LOVE the omnipod for its tubeless aspect, and for the fact that it’s waterproof (I like to swim and trying to plan on being disconnected from my basal for more than 1 hr caused difficulties which the continuous nature of the omnipod alleviated). I also think the omnipod’s self-inserting ability allows for an increased amount of areas to wear the pod (which, like Jim has mentioned, is moved around every 2-3 days just like a tubed infusion set would be).

The bad: each aspect of control over diabetes has pros and cons. Pumping (whether tubed or tubeless) has limitations, but for me, those limitations are heavily outweighed by the positive aspects that it possesses. You mentioned that the pod is ‘safer’…it’s true that there are no tubes to snag (which I’ve def done when I wore the minimed) but the attachment nature of the actual pod to the adhesive patch can be prone to snagging as well, until you become aware of how to attach it and how to be mindful of it with reference the rest of your body. Once you become aware of these facets, I think it becomes a moot point…

The ugly: the pod can be both discreet and more obvious at the same time when compared to a tubed pump and/or MDI. If you place it right, no one will know you’re even wearing it, but sometimes it’s out there for all to see (like swimming w/o a shirt on, etc). I don’t care who sees it, b/c again, it offers me much better control than MDI, so I obviously prefer it.

I think pumping is the way to go, and as long as I am able, I will always be a pumper. In addition, I think tubeless (the omnipod) is also the way to go (over tubed), and as long as I’m able, I will always be a tubeless user. Whatever way you decide to go, I think the important thing is to maintain proper control over your BGs, etc.

I’ve checked into the Solo tubeless pump. Not yet released but going for trials. You can order a sample one to try out. Not positive if it’s a shunt or not but it is TUBELESS!!! I wore one for 3 days and forgot it was on. Plus unlike the Omnipod, there’s no waste of insulin if it comes off, it separates from the adhesive and you just reattach it plus you can bolus right on the pump itself or use the remote. I sounds like the first pump I might be able to wear. Check into it! Mendingo Solo.

Like Bradford, I was also a MiniMed pumper for a long time (20 years) before I made the switch to the OmniPod earlier this year. But I never tried MDI because I went onto a pump immediately after diagnosis. My dad went on a pump in 1983, and he’s still pumping away. The degree of control and convenience offered by pump therapy is outstanding.

I second Bradford’s comments, and other great benefits of the OmniPod include the integrated glucose meter and very user friendly menu (particularly compared to the Medtronic MiniMed offering).

But I have to mention how fantastic tublessness is. When I first made the switch from a tubed pump to the OmniPod, I thought losing the tubes would be nice, but not be a complete game changer. I was wrong. I no longer carry around a large pump in my pocket, fuss with the pump in bed at night, get the tubing caught in my keys, have it jammed in my pocket with my mobile phone, and don’t worry about disconnection before going in the shower or bobbing in my backyard pool. It integrates with my lifestyle in a way that tubed pumps cannot.

As for the Medingo, I am a lot less excited about it than a lot of other folks. The lack of an integrated glucose meter, the need for a separate insertion device to insert the cannula, the fact that it doesn’t really detach (only the mechanical part detaches, leaving a large plastic base on your skin), and the fact that it’s almost the same size as the OmniPod just don’t do it for me. I think OmniPod will be on the market with its smaller pods by the time Medingo commercially launches anything.

Good luck.

You can use temp basals on all insulin pumps. That isn’t a unique feature to the Ominpod.

I cannnot speak for myself but my son, who is 16 years old, was diagnosed T1 and moved almost immediately to pumping and absolutely LOVES the Omnipod. Being 16 years old he didn’t want to feel different than others and after spending 3 months giving shots 4x per day it only made since. He did well with the shots and his BG was well in control but when he moved to the pod it was like he became a 16 year old teenager again. The PDM and pod is very discrete and you would never know that he is a pumper. He has worn the pod on his arm but likes his belly the best. The Basal rates are what I would say made the most difference as you can taylor the system to meet the days demands which has only made his contrll even better. I cannot speak of the other pumps but if you have the option of getting the Omnipod I would highly recommend. I myself am a Diabetic and I am moving slowing to becoming Insulin dependent. When the time comes I will move to the Omnipod to provide my Insulin. Best of Luck!!! Oh… by the way my 16 year old is very active and plays baseball and we have had very little problems.