Opening Comments

I’m new to diabetes, having been diagnosed (T1) over Thanksgiving Weekend of 2008. As all of you know, there’s a TON of things to wrap your brain around and just using the medical community isn’t effective. I’ve lurked on the ADA’s message boards and on various blogs (dlife and sixuntilme.com) and gleaned an absolute wealth of information. I have long been a fan of the web and online communities and decided it was time to stop lurking and get actively involved with an online diabetes community. So, here I am! I’m not new to blogging, I was an active member at TVGuide.com’s now defunct blog site and I made many friends in that community. I hope to replicate the experience here.

Right now, six months into it, I have concluded that while I know MORE than I did at first (wouldn’t have been hard since I knew NADA!) there’s still tons for me to learn. So far, I’ve overcome my irrational theory that lows are better than highs (brought on by the drama of my diagnosis-DKA w/a bg of 718), got my arms around carb counting, want to explore the glycemic index, and am currently wrestling with the decision of to pump or not to pump. Any advice? :slight_smile:

welcome to TuD! it’s a wonderful community to learn things and get advice =) I’ve been Type 1 for 11 years, so I don’t remember much about the beginning. But, I’m here, right? You’ll definitely get into the swing of things and be a pro in no time! As you’ll hear, a pump is totally personal. I chose the Omnipod, and for me it was a life changer! Best of luck in your decision!

Hello! Welcome to TuDiabetes. I carb count not real familiar with GI, I tried it didn’t work for me. Pumping is a huge decision to make. I started pumping in May of 2008 and I love it. I decided to go witht the Omnipod, it’s great for my life style. You’ll find a lot of people with different opinions about different pumps. You have to find what works for you. Take care and welcome!

Hi Heather, welcome. I waited a while before trying a pump, but it has been very good for me. If you every want to talk about it, just let me know. =) Cheers!

Thanks for the welcome! :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to getting to know everyone here!