Opinion on Going Back to the Gym?

I’m in Alameda County in the SF Bay Area in California. Our vax rate is pretty high and our infection rate is ticking up slowly but is now just under 20 people per day per 100,000. I’m happy to be in an area where things are less scary because people wear masks and are vaccinated. It’s not everyone, so I err on the side of being more careful than not. Also, there are people who for medical reasons can’t be vaccinated and kids. I want to do what I can to protect myself but also them.

Anyway, I think I’m about to join a gym for weight training as a discovered a gym just opened up close enough to me that it makes sense. I can pull it off time-wise too. I used to be a member of another gym a bit further away, but I canceled that membership before the pandemic started.

I figure I’ll just be surgical about it as the gym is literally just 5 minutes from where I live: go, get some resistance training in while double-masked*, and leave. I do aerobic workouts at home via VR because I don’t trust people, and that ended up being the right choice because this delta variant is way more contagious than previous ones.

I’m vaccinated and reports now are that Moderna is the most effective out of all of them. My only issue is figuring out when to show up. Once I think that through, I’ll join just to get back to a more rounded exercise routine.

*I’ve chosen to wear an N95 respirator or a KN95 mask with a cloth mask over it since the start of this pandemic. I just didn’t want to risk it.

1 Like

I do not know how you will breath effectively working out with the masks.
If you are available go between 10am and 2pm. or between 8 pm-10pm . Avoid rush hrs 4pm-7pm, 5am-7:30 in the AM. Weight training area is where there is the most congestion in my gym. If you can weight train at home with dumbbells or substitute that would be good If you go to the club, grab and sanitize your weights and go off on your own somewhere that would be better. Using the machines with folks standing around is risky.

I am back at the Y, doing senior water workout. I wear a mask except in the water. There is a small group,we spread out in the locker room also.:+1:t2:Nancy50

1 Like

I will go back after the booster sets in. Many folks do not do cardio as much as the weights. The cardio section is far away from the rest of the gym. The only problem is timing due to new work schedule. I want to avoid crowds.

2 Likes

I liked using the indoor track that went around the cardio machine workout area. Nice and smooth, as opposed to concrete sidewalk pavement or asphalt outdoors –
so no worries about tripping on a crack or falling in a hole.
Do you all think that would be okay to do, now – or should I wait until I’ve had the booster vaccine?

Well, I would wait since the booster time is here. Make sure you continue to wear your mask and go to the gym at non crowded times. I heard the Pfizer vaccine efficacy goes to about 42% after 6mos. Not sure about that fact.

1 Like

Do you know how long the Pfizer and Moderna boosters take to become effective?