Our Dexcom G6 experiences

Good that it worked for you. I’m lucky that I don’t have adhesion issues. Have you tried an overpatch like a Simpatch? I ordered some when I first got my Dex just in case but I’ve only had to use it once which I chalk up to being on vacation and enjoying the pool daily :slight_smile:

@Hammer
G6 vs G5 obviously not trivial to pop an old transmitter on and off the G6.
How did you handle that for the G6?

it looks quite easily actually. use a contour next strip to pop first one side, then the other of the xmitter. I watched a video of that being done and does look quite trivial, actually. Just a few seconds to pop it off.

I’m glad there are “trailblazers” who’ve posted so much useful info about the G6 that by the time I get switched over from the 5 to the 6, I’ll know all the tricks!

@Dave44 - Can you post the video link? I will give it a try.

I will search for it. back in a bit.

I didn’t use anything, I just left the sensor open with nothing in it.

5 Likes

u are braver than me. it’s not secure w/o a transmitter installed.

1 Like

Good video. Thanks for posting it. I will try this after the next sensor removal while the G6 transmitter is still attached.

Unless I prove I can do it smooth than I do not think I will be allowed to try it on a live sensor.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve done this twice with no issues. First time I put it on before bed, installed the transmitter in the morning.

1 Like

Thanks for the video.

I just removed my G6 yesterday, but still have trans and sensor snapped in. So it took a few tries, using an official contour next strip Transmitter removal tool, but its easy once you learn exactly how to angle and move the strip to release the “clips”.

I’m sure it would be harder when attached to dominate arm/hand, so I’ll my do next (and last G6) sensor in leg.
Then back to G4 only.

2 Likes

ha ha ha

:+1:

3 Likes

Reasons to remove G6 transmitter.

1. You were “soaking” a new sensor already inserted, and placed an OLD transmitter on it to protect sensor. Now you want to put active transmitter on the soaked sensor.

2. You have current sensor and transmitter working fine, but near day 10. You want to “restart” the same sensor. Removing the transmitter only (while leaving sensor on your body), waiting about 10? Minutes, then reattach transmitter, makes it act like a new (well soaked) sensor.

Is this correct?

1. Yes
  2. No. To restart the sensor, you only need to stop the sensor, start it again WITH NO CODE. Wait 15 minutes, then restart the sensor again with the correct code.
    A note on this, every time I start a sensor, I always take a picture of the code sitting on the label of the sensor so I can see the code and Lot number. Easy way to keep track of the code, and if you need to call Dexcom, the info you need is right there.

There are multiple ways to restart G6 sensor. Removing transmitter is one of them.

Restart G6 sensor

Yes, many different ways.
I just tell Xdrip to preemtively restart it for me, and I don’t have to do anything, or even remember what day it is supposed to expire!

yes, xdrip has a lot of features not found in Dexcom software

Same for me, except I’ve soaked for 18 and 24 hours. I both cases I showered.

I considered placing a small piece of tape over the sensor housing (not touching the electrodes), to protect if from mechanical damage. I think mechanical damage is the greatest risk.

I hope this continues working. I’m not anxious to remove the transmitter. With my marginal fine motor skills I’m afraid I’d screw it up.

I want to try to restart my G6 transmitter, it’ll be 100 days soon. Do I have to have an ap to do so or has anyone figured out a way without an ap?

And if I have to have an ap, which ap is the easiest to use for this?

Thanks everyone!

I used this method from @Laddie. Worked like a charm.