Our first real low

I do. I just wet the toothbrush a little though - no paste. He’s not in any position to spit after all.

Yes, you may have more lows during the honeymoon because their pancreas can still kick in a little insulin unexpectedly. Your post brings back memories. My niece was diagnosed at 8, and endo wanted her in the 80 to 150 target. However, she did not want us to bring her blood sugar up before bed as she wanted her in close to normal range overnight. So if she was 80 to 100 at bedtime, no ex-carbs. No sleep for me for about three years, as Sis would bring up her blood sugar if 80, but only to 100. I basically fought to bring DNs blood sugar up to 120 or even 130 before bed. Endo did not agree with this. She could drop 80 points overnight. If you can make sure her blood sugar is 120 or even 130 before bed, that will give you a little room. The way we figured out how to do this was one gram of carbohydrate raised DN’s blood sugar five points. Now, many years later, her blood sugars still fluctuate too much overnight. She can be high or low. Highs because of growth spurts. Lows because the increased basals to counteract the growth spurts are temporary and too much insulin will then be in her system. There is no way we could manage her blood sugars without a midnight and 2:30 or 3am check. When bringing up the blood sugar before bed, it is better to use Gogurt or a 2 percent milk, rather than juice.A bit of peanut butter on crackers will hold even better. Although some endos tell you you can sleep through the night at some point, I beg to differ. We now have cgms and blood sugars are documented 24/7. If you and hubby can trade off on the overnight checks, it may help. Came across a picture of her when first diagnosed (in her endo file) and eight is so young. It is heart-breaking, but eight is a good time as far as adjusting to diabetes is concerned, I think. DN is exgtremely compliant and if she was diagnosed at an older age, not sure she would have been.

We were told to bring her suger up to 110-140 at bedtime. The nurse at the hospital said that we needed to do this because all of us wanted to sleep.
It is strange to hear how doctors have different ways to manage the same problem. Some of the things I have read at this site are opposite what we were told to do.
My daughter if very vigilant with her diabetes. She monitors everything herself and gives her own shots. She has done the research and taken extra classes to learn how to cope. She also decided that regular trips to the counselor at school was a good idea. There she gets to vent and not feel bad about griping or “making mommy and daddy cry”. She has taken this head on and I am very very proud of her.

Hi, maybe she was running around a lot. my son blood s. drops really fast if hes playing alot,running…his blood s was 177 was jumping for 10 -15 mins and it droped to 55. my son has to eat every 3 hours… or blood s. starts to drop.

It’s good you brush the teeth. My little one got 2 cavities from the juice in the middle of the night due to lows which is when their saliva production is the lowest. We ended up having all of her baby teeth sealed to prevent the future trauma and cost. I try to brush now after the juice…she doesn’t always cooperate, though!