How to know when the honeymoon is over?

My son was diagnosed on Dec. 3, 2012 and was hard core honeymooning for awhile (meal Humalog ratios: 1:35, 1:25, 1:15, and 4u Lantus) but we've noticed his morning numbers have been slowly creeping up over the past two weeks (105-115ish) and his lunch numbers have been in the high 100s. Most other numbers have been in the mid 100s, which has been normal.

I'm wondering if these higher morning and lunch numbers might signify the end of his honeymoon. How did you know when your child's honeymoon was over? Was it gradual or quick? We see the doc next Friday, but wanted to get some "been there done that" advice first.

Thanks in advance!

Jen

Oh I think he's still honeymooning. It could be a gradual change over many years. I had great control for years then it just gradually got worse. My A1cs were in the 5s and now in the 7s but it was a gradual increase over a decade. My son never honeymooned; he'd be 400 then 40 and back again when first diagnosed. Now "good" control he'll be well over 200 after eating every meal. It becomes harder and harder to control over time and the numbers get much worse that you are having. If your son is in the low 100s you have nothing to worry about. A reading of 110 could be 100-- the meter error is that much. Older age of diagnosis could be linked to longer honeymoons. Until you are dealing with random numbers over 200 or more then it's probably still a honeymoon. But there are no hard and fast rules on that of course.

Hi...I can just tell you my experience and maybe it will help..my daughter diagnosed Aug 2011..was 7.2 A1C...honeymooning and ONLY took Lantus 4 units, no meal coverage...about every 3 months since a change is needed. now, 1 1/2 years later, has Levemir morning and bedtime and covers 3 meals a day... ratios are 1:9, 1:12 and 1:25...has 2 snacks a day uncovered...A1C is always under 6.5...has a CGM but no pump...Like I said, every 3 months a change is needed...starting to cover meals, increasing insulin amounts, etc (however we lower insulin once we open the pool due to her activity). She is growing and started puberty (puberty gives us high numbers around 4 am so having Levemir at bedtime helped that. Of course you need to see your endo next friday, but it may be time to start increasing some doses. Good Luck! marnie

I decided the honeymoon was over when my daughter tested positive for ketones. She continued to produce insulin for about a year post diagnosis(age 11), and then the numbers started to climb. In the beginning, ketones were never an issue. When there is not enough insulin available to meet his basic need you will see the numbers go to 300, 400 with in a 2-4 hours. Believe me.... you will know when the honeymoon is OVER! ;-)
Expect to see abnormally low numbers on one day and abnormally high numbers on the next... I think the pancreas just spits out insulin for "no apparent reason" during the honeymoon phase which makes things difficult to manage on some days...
Good luck to you.This is a road best traveled one day at a time... every diabetic is unique

We have only been doing this about 7 months and while Im not sure Ryans honeymoon is completely over, I dont think he produces insulin all the time. A month after dx Ryan was able to come off of all insulin (meal and lantus) This lasted 3 weeks and then shot right back into the 300s. We started him on the lantus again and that was good for a while, but then that was no longer enough. While Ryans ratios are similar to your sons we notice when he doesnt get enough insulin because he jumps right up to the 300s.

Like the others said it can be gradual and take a while to fully end but when its over you will know.