Overnight Low?

I am confused. Just when I think I am getting a firm grip of controlling my BG’s, I start waking up high. This has been happening for a couple of days now. My BG is 95 at bedtime and then in the morning, I wake up to 160. All day I have excellent control. 2 hrs after meals it has been 140 or lower. Could it be possible that I had a low overnight so my liver dumps out all this extra glucose? I don’t think that this is the dawn phenomenon since this has only been occuring the last 3 or so nights.

It could be a liver dump doing two things 1) raising blood sugar and 2) increasing insulin resistance in the hours after the counterregulatory reaction.

Is there any way you can wake up around 3 AM and test?

Usually if you do the test overnight you have to test at 11pm, 2am and 5am.

I’d agree that one way to find out what’s happening is to test about 2-3 a.m.
I have been testing during the night for the past 8 years and it is extremely helpful.

Yeah, unless you have a CGM the only way to learn what’s going on is to set the alarm for 2 or 3 am and test at night.

If you are going low at night and rebounding in the a.m., one solution I’ve read about is to eat a small amount of carbs (say 15 g or less) before going to bed.

Thank you all. Looks like I will be setting the alarm tonight. I’ll let you all know what happens to help me figure this out! :slight_smile: