Ozempic and Invokana

So, since I can’t take metformin or Januvia due to side effects-:frowning: My doc gave me Ozempic to try. Has anyone here had experience with it? I have a sensitive stomach and really hate throwing up. I am scared to try it. I already have reflux and take Nexium for that. My doctor said it has fewer side effects than the other GLP-1 meds??? That’s what the weekly GLP’s claim but I think different people have different experiences.

She also gave me a sample of Invokana. I am not as afraid to try that. Anybody have anything to say about Invokana, good or bad?? I am more inclined and less scared to give that a try.

Thanks in advance!

I am very prone to side effects as I am a slow metabolizer of drugs-:frowning:

I was just prescribed Ozempic a couple of weeks ago as my A1c was way to high after the holidays. I was told to make sure that I really stick to low carbs the day of and the day after taking the shot I have very little side effects mostly blurry eyes while looking at the computer for two days after. My stomach did have a queasy feeling just before a scheduled meal or snack but overall I’m very happy with it and my blood sugar has been excellent. It went from around 140-160 to between 90-105

Thank you for sharing your experience. Glad it’s working ok for you!!! Keep us posted!! I am going to work up the courage to try it. I have such a sensitive stomach… but who knows, it might work for me.

As of today I my morning BS was 87 and my weight has gone down about 8 lbs in the month since I started. I also usually have a sensitive stomach as far as feeling wishy washy and i’ve had a little of this but nothing bad at all. but i’ve been watching my carbs real close. the keto diet has matched up perfect with the weekly shots.

Good Luck

That is great news!!! It has inspired me to give it a try. I misplaced the sample that my PCP gave to me so I messaged her for some more. It would be a dream come true if this lowered my blood sugar and my weight. Despite dieting, I have not been able to drop any appreciable weight. It’s been very frustrating and depressing. I wish you continued success. Keep us posted. I will do the same.

1 Like

Hello

It may seen odd but try giving up caffeine for a few weeks and see if that helps the nausea. It did for me

herbie

Welcome @herbie to the TuD forum. Its nice to hear from you.

Hello,
Just started on Ozempic a week ago with yesterday being my second dose. First was really rough with gastro issues but yesterday’s went much better. Blood sugars have come down nicely, appetite is gone and I overall feel pretty great. If I am being honest I would have to say that it’s so emotional and psychological in terms of management. Once I am able to realize that my food choices directly impact my sugar control and how I feel, I think I will be on a better course. I am 61 and have diabetes complications so am desperate for a change. Weight down 4 pounds in 8 days, zero appetite and feeling of overall wellness since starting this drug. Happy to have found this community and support. Linda

1 Like

Looks like your off to a good start with Ozempic, lets hope the gastro issues stay at bay.

Welcome to the community.

Good luck Linda! Welcome and thanks for posting. Please keep us in the loop and follow up. I have still not gotten the courage to take Ozempic or that class of drug yet for fear of bad GI side effects. I have some underlying issues. I gave metformin a try and am able to keep things under control. It still bothers my stomach sometimes. That’s not gone away either.

1 Like

Thanks Gary, second dose much better so far.

hi everyone, 5th week this past Thursday and so far so good. Fasting sugars down to 90-100 and post meal 140-150. I have occasional stomach upset but watching my coffee consumption has helped with this. I’m also not eating any sugar or processed foods. The cravings have just about gone and I opt for Whole Foods now instead of sugar or processed items. I eat to my meter for the most part and don’t live to eat anymore. I have very little appetite and don’t really consume a lot in a day. According to my A1C on my meter I have gone from a 8 to a 6.5 so I am thrilled with this progress. I cut my Metformin in half too.
Holidays are hard but I am going to take it one day at a time and try to keep mindful of my end goal. Slow and steady goes the race… Anyone else experience an adjustment to lower sugars? I have been running high for so long that I struggle to know when I am truly low.

Hi ! It sounds like you are doing great!! Sometimes when my blood sugar drops rapidly like after exercise, I will have false low blood sugar. It’s all the symptoms but my sugar is maybe 100 or 90. A true low that needs treatment is below 70 but if I feel shaky, I take something sugary to feel better like some juice. Good luck to you. I wish we lived close to a Whole Foods!!!

Hi Jean, I don’t live near a Whole Foods- the computer just wants to keep capitalizing it!! I meant real, natural no chemical foods. 90s and below for me are shaking but 120s used to be so I am adjusting. Pretty exciting stuff. Thanks Jean!