Parent Guilt

How are you coping with the guilt that comes along with having a child with T1 diabetes, and all of the day to day changes in your child’s life? I’ve had diabetes for 35 yrs and my 9 year old was officially diagnosed in August. I’m just now feeling the stress and strain of all that has changed and will change for her.
Any tips/advice/words of wisdom from those of you who’ve been there? Parents who have diabetes whose kids also have it, how are you dealing?

remember you had no idea exactly (no one does), Support your child let the blame ruin someone else’s day

5 Likes

That’s a good one. Thanks so much

My question, has yours been a life worth living. If you had a choice before you were born would you still have chosen life for yourself. A life with diabetes is a struggle but it is still a life worth living. Its a life I would not reject even if I had a choice.

Life is precious no matter the struggle, You gave your daughter life, you gave her the best you had to offer, you gave her a part of you. Diabetes is only a minute part of that.

Please do not feel guilty, you did your wonderful best. Rejoice in the miracle that you helped create.

1 Like

Diabetes isn’t all bad and it’s certainly not your fault that your child has it. Chronic illness has made me a stronger, more compassionate person. Your kiddo will become a more resilient adult than they might otherwise have been, which may make life easier overall. I think its nice that you are available as an educated resource for your child. Not all parents have the level of insight that comes with actually having the illness. That may be a huge benefit. As your nine year old grows up, each of you will be able to challenge one another’s perspective and collaborate to develop very insightful perspectives on what it means to be ‘healthy,’ productive people that know how to overcome challenges. Best of luck to you. You’ve got this!

2 Likes