People in need of supplies...a seperate forum?

I just noticed a couple of people who posted because they were in need of supplies, and within an hour, they had multiple offers of help.

That is SO cool. I can remember many times in years past when I had an over-abundance of test strips or syringes or pump supplies, and it would have been really cool to be able to give them to someone who needed them.

Should TuDiabetes create a seperate forum for “traders” to post their overstocked supplies and needs? Is that legal?

actually, Jim, we are not allowed to give prescription items. I almost sent out a bulletin myself once while in NYC, but instead paid $150 for a bottle of insulin…

i think it’s a great idea. with the economy in the crapper and all, who knows when we would need that. if it’s legal why not. specially with things like strips. i must have like 7 different meters, and really have no use for all of them.

I don’t see what’s wrong with asking for or offering OTC items…

It is legal as long as they are non-prescription (ie strips ok, insulin not) - although it varies from state to state and also if you’re going across state lines. I’ve been (along w several others) trying to look into legality around supplies exchanges w/ an org I’m working on starting - our basic info is here (but still needs to be designed) www.act1diabetes.org.

I’d love to talk to anyone interested. Message me or email me at katie@act1diabetes.org

Good luck all!

This will be great, its a great idea!

Both Insulin and strips can be purchased with or without prescriptions depending where you live and whether a Person has Insurance. I think it’s a shame that a Person can have extra but not be able to give it to someone who needs it. As long as they are certain that the Person is a Diabetic, of course.

I’m wondering why then, a lone Diabetic can give their Insulin to an organization who then in turn, gives it to the same Person who originally asked for it, from the lone Diabetic.

On the other hand, I do realize it is dangerous to give prescription drugs to someone who was not dxd. with a condition that the meds. were meant for.

Well, you can over here and in some states I’ve heard.

I think it’s a good idea to have a Trader’s Post Forum too.

It breaks my heart everytime I read a post that someone needs something and doesn’t have the means (usually money) to get what they need. I think we should do something to help each other however we can!

yes there absolutely should be an organization that can facilitate these transactions - and we’re working on it! again get in touch if you’re interested/ have resources to help!

yes there absolutely should be an organization that can facilitate these transactions - and we’re working on it! again get in touch if you’re interested/ have resources to help!

From our Terms of Use:

“About the Sale and Exchange of Prescription Items:
Controlled drugs and other items (pumps, supplies, etc.) that require a prescription from a licensed practitioner (such as a doctor, dentist, ophthalmologist or optometrist) are not permitted on TuDiabetes.com®. Any prescription items listed on TuDiabetes.com® for sale, exchange or giveaway by any member will be deleted.”

As an alternative, we encourage anybody wanting to get rid of supplies to please give them to non-profits such as iPump.org who have existing protocols for handling these items and how they need to be sent to people needing them.

You can read the entire Terms of Use here:
http://tudiabetes.com/notes/Terms_of_Use

Thanks,
The TuDiabetes Administration Team