Pic of New Animas Vibe with cgm & Medtronics New Enlite sensor

Curious, though, how will the OmniPod deal with this? They can’t just go without their remote since it’s the only way to control the pump. Does it use something other thanRF communication?

In my experience the Dexcom sensors blow Medtronic out of the water. Medtronics never worked for more than 3 days and were horribly inaccurate and the fasting programing was a royal pain. Dexcom’s sensors were right on target after 7 days, when my trial was up and could be programmed at any time. One of the major reasons I chose the PING was the future upgrade to the new system w/ integrated Dexcom CGMs.

Nope. Omnipod, ping and dexcom all use RF communication. Omnipod transmits at 13.56Mhz, dexcom in MICS band (402 - 405MHz) and Ping 902-928MHz.

Except for the bigger and better screen. The pump itself will be bigger but I doubt the screeen will change any.

Amy mentioned, the way I read , that MM’s Veo only available in Europe …I added my comment on her blog : Veo is available in Canada since 2010 . I got mine Feb. 2011 . I will be looking forward to the updated sensor …my main concern with the present type is not the needle size , neither the pain sensation , nor any bleeding …the numbers seem to be off from finger poke tests…which for me is the concern !

So how will the OmniPod be able to handle two frequencies (Dexcom sensor plus PDM) while the Vibe won’t be able to? I just want to keep the meter remote AND have CGM! LOL.

Omni pod will have to have 2 different receivers built into the meter, I presume. Either that or everything will be contained in one freq. but thats a large feat.

I spoke with an Animas rep. at the local D expo this past weekend. He seemed confident that once the Vibe was cleared in Europe it would only be 6 months to a year to have FDA approval.

They do do things that make sense. Only problem is they make sense for their BUISNESS not the CUSTOMER. If they release the new system without any easily (at least easier than coming up with a brand new pump design, interface etc…) upgradeable feature (meter remote) they would not have a pump to sell you in 4 years when you are ready to get a new one.

MossDog, I agree, they ARE in business. They also have stringent FDA oversight. I think if they had waited to release something new (like a new pump) with more than just dexcom integration we’d probably have to wait another 4 yrs for FDA anyway.

I use my remote all the time too - wonder if there will be a choice? For example if I have my pump tucked in some deep recess I can use the remote. If it’s clipped to my waistband, I can use the pump itself and have CGM integration.

I think they will keep the option of choosing the Ping as a seperate system from the Vibe but you will not have the option of using the meter remote in ANY situation if you have the Vibe.

I also notice that the Vibe is a bit larger than the Ping which was a bit larger than the 2020. They may have been concerned that the size of the pump with the meter remote and CGMS would have been too large. There are many possible reasons they decided to go the route they did. I guess my comment was a bit facetious. The ARE a buisness. If they don’t make a profit they will no longer be a buisness. In fact, I think Animas is one of the least nefarious buisnesses involved in the provision of meds/products/services for PWD.

Wonder how “deeply” this dexcom integration goes. I mean yes, it seems to display the charts on the screen but will there be some functionalities in the pump itself based on the glucose data (automatic shutdown etc…)

No there will be no pump driven increase or decrease in infusion rates, with the Vibe anyway. This is why I have such a problem with the FDA holding this up. You take the Animas 2020 (been around for years) and pair it with Dexcom (been around for years) should be fine eh? Grrrm Grrrm. The FDA says no. Need more data. Need more studies. Excuse me for what? What you going to prove? How will this help ANY end user of the product?

I had a long conversation at the last D expo that supports your sentiments, Moss. The seem to have and want to keep a very small, consumer driven mentality, which I for one like very much. I was very impressed with this adn their regional manager I was speaking with. Frankly, he was the only person at the expo of whom I could have an intelligent conversation with other than other PWDs. The rest of the Reps. didnt know the smallest details about their own equipment. This ranged from MM to OneTouch. We’ll have to see if that wonderful mentality changes with J&J moving things around.

My thoughts are derived in a similar manner as yours - talking with reps from their company and discussions with other PWD as far as their interactions with the company.

I totally agree about Animas. I’m lucky enough to live maybe 15 miles from their facility, so see reps/territory managers/etc. at every pump group meeting. I’ve called the territory manager a number of times, and had wonderful intelligent conversations with her. Whenever I mention an improvement/change I’d like to see, they whip out a pad and jot it down to pass on… to whomever. The majority of their reps and customer service folks wear a pump, so the tend to get it.

It’s a travesty that our government pays (apparently) no heed to the opinions of end users, while a for-profit company does…

I would actually NOT want to see any action on the pump based on the dexcom. I adore my dex, can’t imagine being without it, but there are times that it’s not accurate. I would much rather deal with any malfunctions or warnings on my own with full knowledge of what’s going on.

Here’s hoping for waaaaaaaay better CGM technology soon!

I’m so frustrated by this no remote issue. When I learned the Vibe had been approved in Europe I was so excited because I thought finally I will eventually (I’m in Canada) be able to make the switch to a pump and get something I actually want. But without the remote we just have two products to choose from with very small differences between them. Accurate CGM is essential but I don’t like the Veo because it’s screen is like looking at the earliest pocket calculator and it doesn’t have the convenience of a remote.
It troubles me that in these days when most of us are carrying around tiny powerful computers in our pockets, we have to put up with clumsy pumps which aren’t making use of current technology. This equipment is with users 24/7 it should be the most attractive and user friendly stuff possible.
If Animas are holding back the inclusion of a remote with the Vibe so that they have something else to sell in 4 years time, that’s just not cool. They are not selling cameras and feeding off people’s greed; they are affecting our lifestyles.
I would be very pleased to hear from Animas or Medtronic if you are reading this because seriously a pump with accurate CGM and remote will steal the market for you.

I’m sure the lack of remote is a deliberate decision but beats me why they think that is a good idea. I guess it won’t even be offered as an extra option. I hope someday Dexcom will display on a cell phone so that we are free to use whatever pump we want.

Personally feel the Vibe will steal the market anyways- at least it will make it easier to eat into Medtronic’s share. Maybe you would be more pleased with the OmniPod when they get their newest out?

While I agree about them affecting our lifestyles and feel frustration about that they ARE a buisness and thus must make decisions based upon that or they won’t be in the buisness of making pumps for much longer. I have heard recently that this will be one of the last pumps on their current platform (the IR 1200 and Ping have software differences but otherwise is basically the same pump). If this is the case not including the remote in this pump allows them another 4 years (8 or so total) to develop the new platform. Not saying it is right, or even indeed that my conjecture is accurate as far as the decisions they are making, but from a buisness perspective it makes sense.