Pod Problem

I find the best way to silence a "screamer" is to drop it in the freezer and it will stop in about 10 minutes. Thats what I do with all my screamers, Which is far too many.

Problem with this is that when you take them out of the freezer they start screaming again. They've got to stay there until the trash goes out and I'm always afraid the trash pick-up people will refuse to pick up a bag that's making strange electronic noises.

LOL. Best way to stop a screamer?

1. Place screaming pod on hard surface (preferably concrete).
2. Pick up hammer.
3. Smash said pod.

Voila, no more screaming.

Ah! I see. That makes perfect sense. Yes - I remember wanting to pre fill a Pod to at one point - good golly it's been a long five years, I'm starting to forget stuff! I defer to your wisdom and retract my statement! :)

I've had multiple pods do this to me. Try priming the pod even if you don't get the beeps after filing it. Each time I've still been able to prime the pod and use it without issue.

I have never experienced a Pod that gets back to screaming when it comes out of the freezer. In that case, I would use the method Mikep recommends here, just smash it to bits....although in that case you forfeit the right to send it back to insulet for a replacement...although it does allow one to take out your anger on the &^%$ing thing!

What about one LONG loud screech from the pod while it's priming, then the message on the pdm that it isn't able to communicate with the pod...even though it's sitting right next to it??

KCCO.7 -

Happens more ofen than it shiuld...I just call 'em in and get replacements, then have my better half get the insulin out and try again!

I definitely sucked the insulin out of that bad boy as soon as I got home. But I was trying to change it out at work and the loud screech was a little embarrassing. Guess I've just gotten a couple of duds lately.

Thats crappy when it happens at work....happens at 3:00 am as well, wakes us up and forces a mid sleep pod change (those are the cases that really bug me), in any case .... keep a stiff upper lip...and PEACE.

I think you have had most of your questions answered so will just mention that if you are trying to remove insulin on a new pod you need to remove the cannula cap other wise you create a vacuum. Had a Lady from this site mentioned it and I realized what I had been fighting. I like you hate to loose a full load of insulin. Best wishes.

Michael- Thanks for the note....how does one remove the cap? I do appreciate your help...and PEACE!

Steve D When you do a normal install you pop the plastic cap off and remove the adheisive covers. The cap is what I was referring to. Makes sense that the cannual would be sealed so as to keep sterile. I used to recover unused insulin at the end of the three days but quit because the next pod seemed to not have as good glucose control. I have never had problems recovering insulin from an installed pod only an uninstalled one hence the cap issue.

THANK YOU MICHAEL!! I never realized (in my 5 years of omnipod usage) that that cap could be reinstalled! So, you just place it back on tha pod and press, I assume? in any case, thank you and good luck to you! I see that you are a long tiome T1...over 50 years?! Good for you and keep on keeping on!

I live in Alaska and spend a lot of time outdoors in nasty cold weather. All this talk about deactivating pods by putting them in the freezer makes me a little nervous since I live in such a cold environment. Is it safe to assume the pod actually attached to me will be OK because of body heat-- even if it is -30 out? I haven't actually started the pod yet, just joined this group to learn more about it because it appeals more to me than other options.

I would think so, but your local rep would probably be able to give you more advice regarding this, since they live and work there too.

The term "local" takes on a whole different meaning up here though. My "local rep" is in Seattle-- which is about 1500 miles away and essentially a whole different country:)

Reinstalled? If you are pulling insulin out of a dead pod it is a throw away. The cap does not reinstall. The cap issue is only on an uninstalled pod. Glad to hear your 5 years and still OK with omnipod. Seems like an inordinate amount of problems that folks are having. I for one am happy with the system and yes I will use a pod wether it beeps or not the key is wether it primes and it always does.

I’m just starting and I’m having this problem (I think this one) with new pods - and a new PDM. When I put in the insulin, it gave the two beeps, but then when I click “Next” for the PDM to pair - it won’t pair. The Next glucose meter paired, so it isn’t that the PDMs bluetooth isn’t working.

This is the second pod it’s done this on. The first one got the “bandsaw treatment” to stop it from beeping. It’s late at night and I don’t want to wake up my Dad, so this one is going to the “bash with a rock outside” treatment.

Does anybody know if after the Omnipod is “officially” approved for the Tidepool Loop “FDA-approved-WeAreNotWaiting-project”, will the OmniPod interface API then be rolled back out for the open source Loop project to use? Or is the FDA going to continue to think security through obscurity works and prohibit Insulet from releasing the protocol? (It doesn’t - the DVD CSS mess a decade ago proved it)

I want to use the LoopKit framework to interface with two different insulin pumps (probably Omnipod and a used Medtronic via RileyLink), one with insulin, the other with glucagon, and custom program each to deliver each in opposing pulse fashion, in a (crude) approximation of how the body normally releases the two hormones.

I know some if not all of the pump companies are working on dual-hormone solutions, but I assume they are going to be “one-shot” systems, where glucagon is only injected if BG goes too low - If the loop/hybrid-loop/carb-counting is good enough that it never does go low - it never injects any glucagon. I don’t want that - and I assume the companies and/or FDA is never going to get around to making/testing/approving something like that. (There would go another FDA-mandated eight-billion in "research and development costs that NO politician crying about ‘sky high heath care prices’ EVER seems to mention - along with FDA imposed user fees… But that’s another kettle of sour fish with me…). At least, we’d have a better chance for living donor islet transplantation to be approved first. (Hint, it was done almost 15 years ago in Japan [“Follow-up study of the first successful living donor islet transplantation.” Matsumoto S et al. Transplantation 2006. PMID 17198249]). With chimeric bone marrow co-transplantation as well…

Ideally, I’d want to use Avenir’s new solution-stable formulation (lipid encapsulated?), but to get the data I’d need to convince the FDA and/or Avenir to grant me an IND for that, I’d need to use powder from injectors, mixed up every day (I assume it’s stable for a little bit), or perhaps buy the powder from Sigma Aldrich.

@jim_w
Use this link to show you how to turn off a pod when making noise easily!

Omnipod will replace any pod that doen’t work and pay for the insulin left in it.
You can usually draw almost all the insulin back out though with the syringe back from the original fill spot.