Poetry Collections and Novels with Type 1 Diabetic Characters

I’m a writer* who is curious about representations of Type 1 Diabetes in literature. I’m particularly curious about poetry collections and novels (not nonfiction how-to books).

So far, Sweetblood by Pete Hautman and Someday by David Levithan are the only novel representations I can think of. And I don’t know of any poetry collections. Google has helped me find a few other books to check out from the library, but I’d love more recommendations.

*I’m also a Type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed at age 2 in 1998.

There has been a large amount of poetry posted in our forum over the years. Do a search of the word poetry and you will find many links. You will find a few broken links mixed in, links that were broken when this site changed platforms a few years ago.

The search will be worth your time, we have had some talented poets to grace our pages over the years.

Although I didn’t read this book, my niece did (@10 years old), and told me about it. I was too “old” when the babysitter novels came out.

But it was cool to have interesting conversation from a kid’s point of view, reading about it in the book.

There was also a soap opera with young woman “Nina” with T1D. She was convinced she was going blind, with no treatment available to save vision. That made me first aware of potential eye complications, and helped me strive for better control.

Exposure by Kathryn Harrison is a novel with a diabetic main character. I don’t know if you’re looking for a list of books with diabetic characters or just really good ones. Exposure is readable but not that good in my opinion.

Steel Magnolias

Thank you. I’ll do that.

Thank you for the link to the article. I have the book on hold at my library and I’m looking forward to reading it. I’m a big reader, but for some reason I never read any of the Baby-Sitters Club books when I was little. (I guess I read Nancy Drew and the Animorphs instead.)

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation. I’m looking for books in general. I expect some of them to be bad or so-so. I just want to have a better idea of what has already been published.

I remember several by Osob, but not recently.

And postings by Tamra11