• 4.0 - 5.0
  • 5.0 - 6.0
  • 6.0 - 7.0
  • 7.0 - 8.0
  • 8.0 - 9.0
  • 9.0 - 10.0
  • Above 10.0

0 voters

REMEMBER: This is just for information, no judgments or negative comments. Please share any tips!

1 Like

the previous two results were 5.7 and 5.7. I attribute the reduction from 6.1 (for several years, every 90 days of tests) to the use of the Dexcom 5 beginning last Sept

3 Likes

Mine was 6.2. Hoping to one day hit <6.0.

I use a pump and CGM, use some “sugar surfing” techniques (correcting highs and lows before they happen), and I also eat a very low-carb diet.

2 Likes

My last 1C was 6.1. I have been as low as 5.3 years ago. My heart care team has gently (and not so gently) urged me up to current level. I was diagnosed in the spring of 1950.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Were you having a hard time maintaining the lower level? Some hypos that your care team was concerned about?

@Mila, thank you for this poll.

1 Like

Last A1c was 5.4%. My A1c does tend to be lower than predicted by my average glucose though.

I use Tresiba and Afrezza with a little Humalog thrown in here and there. I use the Dexcom G5 and reference/utilize the trend line every time I dose. I think this might be sugarsurfing, but I’m not really sure. I’ve never bothered giving it a label.

Predicting where my blood sugar level will be in the future based on my cgm trend line/what I’ve recently eaten/what exercise I’ve done…etc. plays a huge role in my diabetes management.

3 Likes

6.8 and the only way I’ve managed to get there is because I switched to Afrezza and Tresiba. My A1C’s used to be in the mid 7’s at best and sometimes 8’s. Been using the Freestyle Libre for 5 months and low carb for about 8 months. Going low carb didn’t actually bring down my A1C but it did mostly stop those huge after meal spikes that I was never able to control before.

6 Likes

46 mmol/mol

1 Like

Someone with an A1C of 7.0 could choose either of two options. Because one of the choices is 6 to 7 then the next higher one should be 7.1 to 8

2 Likes

My A1c went up to 5.9 from a 5.5 last time. But I don’t consider that a bad thing. I had acquired a Freestyle Libre in the previous couple of months and was able to eliminate almost all my hypos lower than 60. Though I’d never had a hypo I couldn’t handle myself, I did occasionally have some down in the 40s and even rarely down in the 30s previously. I also had a number of highs, higher than normal, in the last few weeks before my A1c test, so I’d say that for me an A1c of about 5.7 or 5.8 would be close to ideal. It would neither restrict me excessively on the diet nor allow me to have severe hypos.

1 Like

5.2. I typically range between 5.0 and 5.2.

I very rarely have lows (and none that have needed assistance since one very pivotal low early in my diabetes journey, which triggered massive research, diet etc. to be sure it never happened again), and usually catch highs before they proceed too far.

I credit my results to very low carb, combined with sugar surfing approaches, and luck! Definitely luck, because my diabetes seems to be pretty manageable, mostly.

4 Likes

My A1cs have been in the mid to high 7’s in the past. Although I have followed some aspects of Dr. Bernstein’s program since 1977, there were several key aspects missing. His diet menus were originally quite limited and particularly hard to work into your daily routine. And while I pre-bolused on meals, it was hard to be exact with the timing.

That all changed about a year ago when I learned about ketogenic diets. Although I’m not trying for a ketogenic state, I found so many recipes that made low carb more enjoyable.

Next, I started on the Freestyle Libre when it was first FDA approved. Now, I could “wait for the bend” that others have mentioned for pre-bolus decisions. And I can check my BS at times when it would have been really inconvenient with a meter.

My current low reading of 5.8 does not establish a trend, but I don’t think I’ll ever be back in the range where I was before.

3 Likes

Good point. Glass half full, or half empty.
his/her choice. Go for half full I say.

1 Like

Why are there 2 A1C units? As if diabetes is not confusing as it is already.
Same with blood sugar, US vs. the rest of the world readings.

1 Like

don’t forget the great debates about metric vs Imperial. (and there’s also Whitworth…)

6.4.i am happy with anything under 7.5. I remember when this test first became available. A teenagers nightmare. Because I could try and get things in a better place a week before my doctors visit. But when I heard this test would show the past 3 months, I knew the jig was up. Oh the joys of those tough teen years. My first A1C was 9.8. Ouch! Technology has made it so much easier.

2 Likes

5.7 my last A1C.

My last A1C was taken in November of 2017 and it was 9.something.

I visit the vampires on Monday and will find out the new number a few days after.

1 Like