Possibly causative link found between T1 and depression

GOOD JOB Brianna!!! U make us pROUD!!! We're also abit envoys od u

http://news.yahoo.com/diabetes-toll-emotions-231012402.html

I have always been depressed but it was before diabetes and its always a reason why...so I am not sure about the link., however I did notice I have less patients since taking insulin. I get attitudes quicker and that wasn't my personality before. I am not mean but I'm just a lil more annoyed...I also do have a vitamin D deficiency and if I do not have any my mood is low.

I think depression is one of those things like anger where u have a choice to dwell in it or do something about it. Self will is much stronger than you know and I believe people who are angry, bitter, or depressed are exactly where they want to be. I know for myself I tell people I am not ready to be happy because I know ultimately I have the power to change that.

em>em>I think depression is one of those things like anger where u have a choice to dwell in it or do something about it. Self will is much stronger than you know and I believe people who are angry, bitter, or depressed are exactly where they want to be. I know for myself I tell people I am not ready to be happy because I know ultimately I have the power to change that.wrote Rye.

I agree, Rye.But I did not have all that "Power to change" all by myself...My rock and my fortress is the Lord; and I have only been able to change negative, self-defeating perceptions with HIS help.
Yes, I used to suffer from anxiety, bipolar disorder, and suicidal ideations. I believe that bad, since- childhood assumptions about my self-worth had a lot to do with it. And being a diabetic on insulin, pre-MDI, pre meter, who did not know that blood sugar swings cause variable moods; did not help. As I learned to take care of myself wih the newer technology and my refound faith, I have NOT suffered from such disorders in many years. I am still intelligent and "fearfully and wonderfully made", diabetes or not. AS ARE WE ALL

So much for the study.
God Bless,
Brunetta

I've always been aware that statistics could be used to prove a thing or its direct opposite, depending on how you skewed the results. But it isn't until I started looking at studies on Diabetes that I saw so much flawed research! We've been given studies done by undergraduates on this site, which I sort of don't expect a lot from, but some of the studies I've seen are so-called professional ones and they are still incredibly flawed. Diabetes research seems to bring out everything from the merely ignorant to the hopelessly confused to the downright manipulative!

Exactly Brunetta! You chose faith, such as myself but whether its faith, psychologist, children, work, reading or whatever it is to assist you to overcome any mental issue the first step is wanting to change. Then acting on it. I think sometimes its just easier to shine a light on something else as being the only source of our issues becuz then we don't have to do the work. Diabetes itself has never altered my mood however I know insulin and vitamin d deficiency has but I try to catch my mood swings if one decides to pop out, lol

I believe you're missing my point. Not surpisingly, there is data suggesting that people suffering from ALL chronic illnesses are vulnerable to depression. More interestingly, there is also data suggesting that depressed people are more likely to develop chronic illnesses.

According to the OP, the study cited is a lot more about "cognitive function" due to 9% increased glutamate in the brains of diabetics. Besides other obvious flaws in the design of this study, there are many other factors in diabetes that can account for the findings.

mild neuropathy could explain lower psychomotor speeds

Hypoglycemia and / or brain damage could easily explain impaired memory or executive function.

Comparing 2 groups of diabetics, or nondiabetics, for that matter with varying glutamate level would tell us a lot more about glutamate and the diabetic brain.

Notice that, no one even bothers to link directly to the study cited. The whole thing appears so ill-conceived that I have to question its motives.

Wow, Christy! Anyone at the top of the class amazes me. OH. and you are a type 1! Good for you!

This is what I find depressing.

Seriously, this is a question for a psychiatrist. From what I gather, it is far from an exact science. There are plenty of antidepressants available. They just try different ones on you until you feel better. Same as with non-diabetics.

Well, I know I've only had this for three and a half years, but I've not seen any increase in my depression. I've had mood swings all my life, but mild ones, nothing really bad, and usually marked by a triggering incident of some sort. For example, in the past month my mood has been down, which I attribute to the fact that my sister had her baby, he lived five days, and then he died--hospitals are inherantly depressing. As far as I'm aware, that depression was not made worse by the fact I have diabetes.

I do recognise that there is such a thing as clinical depression, which tends to follow a cycle of chemical changes rather than inciting incidents in a person's life. The hormonal changes that are an integral part of life with diabetes can upset the chemical balance of a person's body, leading to clinical depression. Perhaps glutamate is a factor in that change. I'm not in the medical field--I don't know. All I know is I have never had clinical depression as far as I'm aware.

I don't think I've seen any drop in cognitive function in the past three and a half years. In fact, this semester, I took 4 graduate level classes. Despite our hospital drama, I completed all my work and final, receiving 3 As and 1 A+, which maintains the 4.0 that I've had throughout grad school. In the feedback for my semester paper, my teacher said that it was "so well written it was almost scary." As far as I'm aware, my academic preformance has absolutely nothing to do with the diabetes.

I think that after some further study, the researchers are going to discover that this particular conclusion is seriously flawed.

I think that diabetes research is inherently flawed by the reliance on "goals" of 7.0 A1C type of numbers? That's very challenging for a lot of people but seems like it would skew long-term results of any studies towards results reflecting long term exposure to BG > normal levels for "straight" people without diabetes, and all that goes along with that.

Many Doctors will do almost anything to get published and this is just one more example. I also think Doctors or any other professional should be held accountable for publishing information that can have a profound impact on society.

I have had Diabetes for most of my adult life, yes there are times when I feel like the whole world is standing on my shoulders. My life has been good and I have accomplished everything on my list. I have a wife, children, own a business, and have grand children, I'm and engineer and have patented many products used in the field of my expertise. I have also employed thousands of individuals and have found no reason to believe PWD's have a lower cognitive function but I do have a soft spot in my heart for fellow PWD's and have had many work for me including floor sweepers, sales managers and even a personal assistant...they all did a great job.

There will always be someone out there ready to throw PWD's under the bus.