Professor Roy Taylor, creator of the Newcastle diet, is holding an Q&A session on Reddit

Professor Roy Taylor at Newcastle University in UK, the man behind the Newcastle diet which showed very good results in normalising the bloodsugars of its participants, is holding a answering session on reddit this friday.

Details are in the following link: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/news/2016/02/type2diabetesama/

I have seen around on this forum that Roy Taylor is pretty controversial for claiming that his research shows that diabetes type 2 is curable, in most of the cases, but now everyone, doubters and belivers have the opportunity to question him, and thought many here would relish that opportunity.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/staff/profile/roy.taylor#tab_publications

Here is a web page with his publications concerning weightloss and type 2 diabetes, and you can read for yourself.

Hope everyone takes the opportunity to ask him some questions, and even if one instinctively disagree with him, read his research it is quite amazing, and ponder upon it a little bit.Hope this link will not get banned, since people should be able to see what this guy thinks, and then decide what to do, have a good answer and question session!

My questions are going to be the following:

1. Why is there such a big debate in the diabetes community about the reversability if type 2 diabetes, some claim a cure is impossbile, others like you, claim it is, why this great conondrum?

2. Why is there so much shame about type 2 diabetes?

3, What is the connection between bodycomposition and diabetes type 2?

If you are going to ask questions, can you post them in this thread? Maybe I will change mine, when I see what others are wondering about.

There is unlikely to be much light shed as long as the words we use to discuss this are commingled. ā€œCureā€ and ā€œreverseā€ do not mean the same thing. As long as such words are used interchangeably, the confusion cannot end.

1 Like

What are your definitions of a cure and reverse than?

A cure is something you do once and the problem is fixed permanently, e.g., you take your antibiotics and your pneumonia is gone for good. You can forget about it.

Reversal (or remission, or any similar term) means that the problem is controlled. But if you stop doing whatever is exerting the control, it will return. The symptoms are suppressed but the underlying cause is still present.

Those, by the way, are not my definitions. That is how the medical profession uses the terms. Clear discussion depends on clear language.

2 Likes

In addition, I view the word ā€œreverseā€ in the context of diabetes as a reversal of symptoms, not a cure. The underlying propensity for disease remains and will rear its ugly head once the environment it likes returns. Unfortunately, there are many that like to use the word reverse when they mean cure but they fear the pushback from people who are rightfully skeptical. It is not just sloppy semantics, but is misleading and dishonest!

People who propose diet and other lifestyle changes to reverse diabetes symptoms should be proud of their treatment protocol and not try to sell it as something more than it is. It is not a cure!

3 Likes

he has to run very tight control to get decent data and keep the variables low.
he has said, the 900 calories a day and length of time isnā€™t as important as losing the weight any way you can and that 1500 or 5+2 is fine.

has everyone seen his lectures, so you know what you want to ask?
Newcastle diet aims in 8+ weeks to mimic the rate of ~70% remission, for surgery T2
Diabetes - Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre - Newcastle University
Newcastle diet Lectures
FEND: 17th Annual Conference - Taylor, Prof. R. Eating Through The Myths: Food, Health and Happiness
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/events/public-lectures/item.php?roy-taylor-diabetes
shows BG lowering to normal range

This is somebody who started the newcastle diet at 1 of january. Look at thenumbers in the first post. This man is probably cured. He also cut out both of his diabetes medications

Fasting Blood Sugar Progress Chart mmol/L-mg/dl (800 kcal diet)

January:

Day 0: 10 / 180
Day 1: 10.5 / 190
Day 2: 9.8 /175
Day 3: 8.3 /148
Day 4: 6.7 / 123
Day 5: 6.4 / 112
Day 6: 5.7 / 103
Day 7: 5.0 / 90
Day 8: 5.6 / 100
Day 9: 4.8 / 87
Day 10: 4.5 / 81
Day 11: 4.6 / 83
Day 12: 5.1 / 92
Day 13: 6.0 /105 (Removed daily Januvia medication due to side effects)
Day 14: 4.1 / 74
Day 15: 4.7 / 84
Day 16: 4.1 / 76
Day 17: 4.6 / 83
Day 18: 4.7 / 84
Day 19: 4.8 / 87
Day 20: 4.4 / 80
Day 21: 4.6 / 83
Day 22: 4.9 / 89
Day 23: 4.4 / 79
Day 24: 4.3 / 78
Day 25: 4.3 / 77
Day 26: 4.9 / 89

February:

Day 1: 4.5 / 81
Day 2: 4.3 / 78
Day 3: 4.3 / 77
Day 4: 4.2 / 75
Day 5: 4.1 / 76
Day 6: 4.8 / 87
Day 7: 5.2 / 94
Day 8: 4.9 / 89
Day 9: 4.3 / 77
Day 10: 4.6 / 83
Day 11: 4.7 / 84
Day 12: 4.5 / 81
Day 13: 5.0 / 91
Day 14: 4.7 /84
Day 15: 4.7 / 84
Day 16: 5.0 / 91 *(Stopped taking Metformin completely) (100g carb tolerance test)
Day 17: 5.2 / 94
Day 18: N/A (Glucose meter malfunction, replaced)
Day 19: 5.0 / 90
Day 20: 4.7 / 84
Day 21: 4.5 / 81
Day 22: 4.8 / 88

Weight:
Pre-diet: 14 Stone / 195 pounds

January 2016:
Week 1: 13.5 Stone / 189 pounds -6 pounds/.5 stone
Week 2: 13.1 Stone / 184.5 pounds -5 pounds/.4 stone
Week 3: 12.8 Stone / 180 pounds -4.5 pounds/.3 stone
Week 4: 12.55 Stone / 177 pounds -3 pounds/.2 stone

Total January: 18.5 pounds lost / 1.35 stone

February 2016:
Week 1: 12.45 Stone / 174.4 pounds -2.6 pounds / .18 stone
Week 2: 12.3 Stone / 172.4 pounds -2 pounds / .15 stone
Week 3: 12 Stone / 169 pounds -3.4 pounds / .3 stone
Week 4: ?

Notice the weightloss

So, he no longer needs to follow the diet, and continues to have no diabetic symptoms? Because that would be a cure.

2 Likes

This is a great thing. This manā€™s health has improved dramatically. I use a form of intermittent fasting and it has a good effect on my metabolism.

Why do you insist on using the word ā€œcure?ā€ Symptoms in remission does not equal a cure. Reaching for that over-the-top rhetoric diminishes your argument. It undermines your credibility.

If this man could return to his old eating habits over many years and never show any hyperglycemia then that would be a cure. Cure is a touchy subject for people that have lived with diabetes for decades. To sling it about in an 18th century patent medicine barker fashion does not persuade me. Words do have meaning. You are deliberately misusing the language.

3 Likes

I am in complete agreement with @David_dns and @Terry4ā€¦In fact, Iā€™m thinking we could constitute a debate panel on this side of an ongoing debateā€“heheā€¦

I have believed for years that there will be a cure for T1 long before there is an actual cure for T2. Tight control is the best we can hope for. As has been said, a cure would mean I can go back to eating a slice or two of freshly baked bread or a baked potato whenever I felt like itā€”not likely!..Blessingsā€¦

2 Likes

Bumpā€¦ Reddit AMA w/ Rod Taylor is live.

ā€œThank you for all the questions. This is such an important area of research as it has the potential to restore people to full health without using tablets or injections. Knowing the underlying mechanisms allows us to see that Type 2 diabetes can be simply understood and requires appropriate action.ā€

What a load of crap! Truly do NOT understand the difference between ā€œreversalā€ and ā€œcureā€!

Just because you donā€™t understand it, it doesnā€™t mean that itā€™s crap, reversal means it ā€˜canā€™ come back. cured means itā€™s forever gone. Tayor says itā€™s reversal that needs to be maintained

the main thing is to get rid of the weight, anyway you can and keeping it off.

@Britt_J thanks for the link,
[ā€“]strawgodargument 3 points 1 day ago
Do you think a moderately calorie restricted ketogenic diet might be able to replicate the results?
Iā€™ve followed a ketogenic (LCHF) diet since my T2 diabetes diagnosis in September 2015, and have lost 23kg in that time (BMI changed from 33.4 to 25.7). The onset of open diabetes was no more than five years prior, since in 2010 my FBG was just over the border of pre-diabetic (103 mg/dl). In the first eight weeks of the diet I lost 10kg, which is slightly slower than the average weight loss of your subjects on the Newcastle VLCD.
Thank you for your amazing research; it is one of the first pieces of good news I found when researching diabetes on the day of my diagnosis.
[ā€“]uniofnewcastle[S] 3 points 1 day ago Dr Taylor
Firstly ā€“ well done! Fantastic achievement! The answer is resoundingly ā€˜yesā€™. What weā€™re finding is it doesnā€™t matter how you achieve the weight loss ā€“ itā€™s losing the substantial amount ā€“ usually around 15% of body weight ā€“ that makes the difference. The really important matter is keeping the weight off long term. Well done indeed!

1 Like

jack16, I know the difference between ā€œreversalā€ and ā€œcureā€ very well, thank you! Iā€™m referring to ā€œbelieversā€ in the Newcastle diet, those who believe this ā€œcuresā€ diabetes. Once again, you just have to forward your ā€œdietā€ agendaā€¦ There are loads of folks with Type 2 who ā€œlose the weight and keep it offā€ and still need meds.

many DR have wrongly said itā€™s cured, when a patient returns to normal levels through diet. and you donā€™t have diabetes anymore, they go back to old eating patterns and 12mths later, the dr says you have diabetes.

I like my diet, Dr taylor likes my diet, you are the person on this forum that seems to have the most trouble with it and you arenā€™t even diabetic,

I donā€™t have a problem with your diet; eat whatever you want. Just stop pushing it on children with diabetes and pregnant women with diabetes. Youā€™re right, I donā€™t have diabetes. Never said I did. I have a child with Type 1 whom I care for 24/7. If having diabetes means wining a prize in your book, then youā€™ve won!

Iā€™ve never push LCHF keto on pregnant women, I have said the opposite and not to go too low and keto,
kids use to eat lower carbs and higher fats before the ā€˜fat is bad/garin is goodā€™ of the 70ā€™s
I have no issue with suggesting to parents to watch the intake of carbs, I also give a link to a T1 low carb group that are living itā€¦again, you arenā€™t even a diabetic and you say your 13yr old monitors her own diet. as you are working 60hrs a week. It seems that the other time is spent here.

i know by now to stay out of the diet. jack like to push ! iā€™m one not to take a side on it, it might work for some !. some it donā€™t. but i see the this as a good thing.

@erice, you are right, there is no one size fits all. even with LCHF there are different levels of carb intake from 20-130g. you eat a diet thatā€™s right for you. If your weight is fine, your A1c is good and between 5-6%.and up to 7% for T1, with no roller coaster highs or hyposā€¦ what ever you are doing, keep doing it. if you can fine tune it a bit, by all means do so

1 Like

Iā€™m the type who see it this way !. it will work for some. & some it wonā€™t work !. yes some might not like it,. or like that you try to push it !. but i see nothing wrong with it. i donā€™t judge ,!. i think a judge is the only person ! who can do that. not saying people on here judge,! i have not saw that on here.