Progress Updates

So how is everyone doing with their training? Rachel Joy, how is your foot healing? I haven’t been able to run for 4 weeks, but seem to be on the mend from a hip flexor strain. The two half marathons I was traing for are out for this year, but once I get back on the road, I’ll be aiming for another one. How about you? What’s next on your running agenda and how’s your progress?

I’m sorry to hear about your injury and the subsequent disappointment. But there will be more races and the running goals you achieved before the flexor strain will help you prepare for the next one.

I’m just trying to maintain a good fitness level, since my 1/2 “race” isn’t until June. I figure if I can maintain an average of 12 - 16 miles a week (four 3 - 4 mile runs) until February or March, then I’ll start a training plan leading up to the race. I got a Sole F83 treadmill a few weeks ago and it’s great for those nasty cold/rainy/windy days when I couldn’t bear to drag myself outside.

Good luck to everyone with their training!!

I’m in my fifth week of training for the L.A. Marathon in March 2008. I’m training with the Leukemia & Lyphoma Society’s ‘Team in Training’ program. Our long run this weeken was nine (9) miles and i’m doing 3-4 mile runs three times a week in between long runs. I’m going to have to increase the duration of the mid-week runs soon to build my stamina.

My goal this year is to run the entire marathon. Last year I had to walk the last six miles due to some IT problems in my left leg. I seem to have overcome that with exercises, rehab and proper form.

This training is almost another full time job. I think I’m going to stick to half-marathons after this one!!

Terry

I did a long run of 10.5 miles Sunday and had a pretty unusual experience that might be worth sharing.

I woke up with a BG near 275, which I didn’t expect. But I figured I could run anyway. I had a bowl of oatmeal (30g carbs) and bolused for the oatmeal and correction, less one unit for the upcoming run, then cut my basal in half for the next 2.5 hours (one hour before run, one and a half hour run.) When I started the run I was up around 180 or so.

When I came around to my first blood check about 30 minutes into the run I felt great. BUT, my meter read 55!! WTF!! So I took three (3) glucose tabs and slowed to a jog. Fifteen minutes later I was at 65. Rising, but still too low, so I took two more tabs. I tested three more times before my run was over and didn’t get over 80 until the end. Nonetheless, I had a good, strong run, felt good all the way and put in some speed in the middle.

Two odd things - first although I was getting so low, I never felt like I was bonking. I hope I’m not becoming hypo-insensitive, but I’m going to watch very carefully over the next few days. Second - running always drops my BG, but never 130 points in 30 minutes. Possibly I over-corrected for my high and the oatmeal, but I don’t think so. Just one more thing to watch out for.

Most of all my experience highlights the importance of frequent testing during strenuous exercise - especially endurance sports - and of keeping testing and glucse supplies within easy reach.

BTW, i am using the Lifescan OneTouch Mini for testing on my runs- which I got for free based on some on-line offer. Since I use the OneTouch Ultra already it was a no-brainer, they use the same strips. It is the perfect size for carrying on a run, easy to use without removing it from its pouch so you can test while walking or at a trot. (Just remember to look up every once in a while - aagh! tree roots!) I highly recommend it if you can get one.

The one drawback to the mini is that its readings are not downloadable - I have to manually log them if I want to use them to track my BG over time. The convenience it offers during the run is worth the trade off to me.

Also and FYI, I use glucose tabs because they’re precisely measured and I know exactly what affect one tab will have on my BG. Obviously someone else might prefer gels or something in a bottle. YMMV.

So . . . keep running. Test often!!

Terry

We’re up to 13 miles for our long runs. Three months to go before the marathon.

I’m going to take this opportunity to repeat how glad I am that I got the One Touch Mini. It’s light on-board and has helped me catch lows before bonking - better even than the CGM. The trick is testing at regular intervals - every 30 minutes in my case.

Not perfect, though, since I have been caught unawares, probably because I didn’t pay attention or know if I was trending down, staying level or trending up. That’s what the CGM is for . . . doh!

Keep up the good work everyone.

Terry

Hi, I’m new to this group, but am glad to find fellow T1 runners. I’ve been running for just over 5 years and working up the distance ladder. I did my first marathon in 2006 and last year managed to fit in 3, which was beyond my wildest dreams a few years ago. Having a generally sedentary job, running, and maintaining blood sugar is a real challenge. And I know of Terry’s experience of running with BG’s 200 points apart and wondering WT(H) myself!

I have also been in clinical trials for inhaled insulin over that time. Right now the tests are up in the air due to Pfizer’s pullout but they are still ongoing. It’s been a great experience compared with injected insulin.

I’ll look forward to getting to know some of you better, I hope.

Dave

Dave,

Why do you really think inhaled insulin is great? I’ve seen demonstrations only, but it seems bulky and unwieldy for an active person. i can see it for a sedentary person and a person who really, really, really doesn’t like shots - but not otherwise.

Clue me in, please.

Terry

Hi Terry, I’m glad your training is going well! I got a free One Touch Mini, but have stuck with my freestyle flash for running (and everything else). It’s pretty small too, and fits nicely into my Amphipod pouch. Did I understand correctly that you keep running even if your BG tests below 60? I’ve always been chicken to keep running if I go that low.

My training has hit several snags. First the hip flexor issue, which took me out of running completely for about 6 weeks. Then several more weeks of taking it pretty easy and ramping up to a 6 mile long run using Hal Higdon’s Novice 1/2 program. The hip is MUCH better, but after that I started to have that broken down type of feeling that I was getting before I pushed it too much into that injury. Hips feeling really tight, some PF issues, and feeling so tired I didn’t want to do much physically the rest of the day after my runs. So I decided to level off, and just run 3-5 milers for a while, and only every other day. Then I caught a cold that hung on for a couple of weeks. Had one good run in the middle, but then a relapse the next day. I’ve also started going to a yoga class once a week, and have decided for right now, I’m going to focus on balance and moderation in my exercise routine. Some running, some yoga/stretching, and some strength training each week, but not too much of any one thing. Will probably do a few 5K’s and maybe a 10K if I get wild, in the spring and then see how I feel. I’m also returning to logging my blood sugars, carbs, etc. after a long hiatus in that. I had been faithrully testing, bolusing, and loosely estimating carbs all along, but was very reactive, and it was starting to impact my control with some pretty dramatic swings.

Hi Dave, Congrats on your marathon finishes! That’s awesome. Sounds like you’re hooked for sure! Do tell us more about your experiences with inhaled insulin. It’s something I had sort of dismissed as a viable option because I thought that the absorption rate was quite variable, and we already have enough variables to deal with, LOL!!!. Did you find that to be so? What type of therapy were you on prior to the inhaled insulin and how did your control compare?

Hey Progress,
I think your plan of balance is a wise one. I’d worked up to a very comfortable 8-mile long run over the summer and then pretty much lost my fitness level when lousy weather and a busy schedule came. Now I’m back to regular 4-times/week training (3 - 4 miles) and am hoping for a slow, non-damaging 1/2 in June. I’d considered trying the marathon, but I’ve heard too many stories of injuries when people push themselves too far. So setting a more reasonable goal for myself seemed like a good idea. If all goes well, I’m sure I could probably squeeze in a full marathon in September.
I too need to add strength training back into my regime. Every year I lose more muscle fiber, and I want to have a few left when I reach those golden years.
Ken

Balance is good. I think this will be my last marathon - training for it is practically a full time job. Like Ken, I’m probably going to stick to the 1/2. (But Ken, I encourage you to try at least one marathon! Just to strike it off the list, if you know what I mean.)

Balance is essential, Progress, I’m all for it. I’ve been working yoga into my regimen, too. It’s relaxing and has helped me avoid running injuries, I believe, with its emphasis on stretching and lengthening muscles and my spine. It’s also less of a monkey wrench into the BG thing.

With running I’m constantly juggling and struggling with remembering to measure, changing pump settings, judging when to eat and how much. It’s a challenge, as you all know. If only someday I could just eat something then go for a run without worrying about going low . . .

Oddly, on my last run, I was moving fast, loose and free. I was relaxed and felt I could last forever. Having to stop for a red light, I checked my BG - 49!!! WTF!! Now I have to find a way to recreate that feeling and keep my BG over 80!! I’m guessing I was so loopy from the low blood sugar that let all the tension go and just RAN. Now I’m hooked on trying to recapture that zen-like moment. Damn.

Terry

Sorry it’s taken me awhile to get back to this. My experience, overall, has been pretty positive. I have experienced a decline in one of the pulmonary tests that are part of the protocol, but my running last year resulkted in PR’s in most distances including a 25 minute improvement in my marathon time (4.45). So whatever the tests indicate doesn’t seem to effect my training so far.

The absorption rate is pretty much the same as Humalog, and probably even faster on days I run. It does have some quirks and I can get surprisingly high or low readings on occasion, but I had ther same experience with injections. I’ve never been on a pump. My A1C’s have been pretty stable - I started running before I got on the inhaled test and that is the constant that has helped my control.

The ease and convenience of inhaled is a dramatic improvement over injected insulin. I have a variable schedule and pretty regular public exposure. For me I can’t emphasize that freedom enough - it has been literally life changing. So I hope it stays around on the market, and that longer term experience remains positive - if it does turn out to eventually effect my endurance or ability to run, I will get off it in a heartbeat…

Good luck on your running this year. I am trying to finalize my event schedule for the next few months right now.

Dave

Terry,

I figure if my 1/2 goes well in June, I may start looking for a full in the September time-frame. Yeah, gotta start checking those things of my list so I don’t end up with a bucket full of them.

Ken

I finished the L.A. Marathon yesterday, March 2, in 5 hours, 52 minutes and 49 seconds. That’s 40 minutes faster than last year, thanks to good training and handfuls of anti-inflammatory medicine. I owe a great debt to the makers of Tylenol and Motrin. My quads are sore and my foot hurts. It’s on ice as I write.

If you ever see me write anything about running another marathon, find a way to have me physically restrained, call the nearest mental health professional and get me a box of crayons.

I exaggerate, of course. I had a good experience because I took my time, I enjoyed the crowd, I walked when I wanted to walk instead of because I had to walk and, as I said, I swallowed handfuls of Tylenol. The most memorable part was running the six miles I had to walk last year. Oh, and the people handing out Dixie cups of ice cold beer at mile 23. THAT was a good tasting beer.

I think I’ve got this marathon thing out of my system since I ran the whole race and didn’t get sidelined by injury. I will continue to run, but not race, except for an occasional 1/2 marathon or 5k or 10k.

As for my BG’s I got a some last minute advice the week before the Marathon from the chief of the Gonda Diabetes clinic at UCLA. He happened to be visiting my endo at the time of my appointment. His advice? “Carb Up!” especially during the race. Drink nothing but Gatorade (or similar) and eat lots of gels. I was reluctant to follow his advice, but I started to go low (61) at only 3 miles, so I took his advice and kept up my energy and my BG for the distance.

This bears further scrutiny after I can run again.

Terry

I’m starting to get ready for running season, with the first marathon this year intending to be Seattle Seafair on June 29. Tune up this weekend at the Gateway Better Half Marathon in Colorado - should let me know how much work I have ahead of me. Keeping up the improvement trend realized at last year’s Las Vegas Marathon is the goal, but having fun and enjoying great scenery and fellow runners is the big deal. Hope everyone has had a good winter and are psyched for a great run sometime this spring.

Dave

And congrats to Terry for the huge improvement - feels great doesn’t it?
Dave

Way to go Terry! Whew, that 61 at the beginning had to have been a bit stressful. Glad you were able to stop it from dropping. It was nice to hear about how you enjoyed the whole experience this time too. Sounds like you conquered the marathon beast all the way around. Time to rest up and save some Tylenol for the rest of the world :slight_smile:

Aren’t you the guy who told me just a month ago that I should run a marathon? :wink:

That’s great news. You’re an inspiration. I started my official 15 week 1/2 marathon (my first) training program last week and I’m really pumped. At the end of February, I’m already in better shape than I typically achieve by the end of Summer thanks to my Sole F83 Treadmill. I’ve got three 10K’s (all within 10 miles of my home, with the first next Sunday) I’ll be running in preparation for the June 1/2.

Ken

Thanks, all.

Ken, enjoy your training and the 10K’s.

My most important tip, even though nobody asked for it, is HAVE FUN!!

Good luck,

Terry

P.S. And, yes, you should get around to running a marathon, but don’t hurry. There’s plenty of time. I was 50 years old when I did my first one. :slight_smile: