Pump Insurance

Hi all. Because of this discussion (and am a new pump user) I called my State Farm agent today and asked if my renter’s policy covered theft, fire, etc. I explained that health insurance paid for it but would not replace it unless it broke or misfunctioned. He checked and told me it was indeed covered, no rider needed, for replacement cost. Theft and fire, he said. Sounds like good news.

I have a separate policy for my pump on my homeowners policy. Cost me $65 a year in case I lose it or it gets stolen. Not sure how I"d let either of those incidents happen but I figured it was better then coming up with the full amount to replace it.

Many many years ago, I lost my pump surfing (I forgot I had it on). My medical insurance replaced it HOWEVER I cannot remember if it was that they had never bought me a pump on that plan or if my current pump was out of warranty.

In either case the four or five insurance plans I have had over the years would replace my pump in either of those two cases - they never paid for a pump or they did buy me a pump and it was out of warranty).

If you switch insurance plans you can definitely get a new pump. If your company has open enrollment and offers different plans come the new year, that may be an option for you.

ALSO be sure to look at the durable medical benefit that is what all pump and supplies fall under. I have had durable medical coverage from 50% to 100% coverage so be sure to look closely. The 100% coverage on pump and supplies has been worth the extra money 10 times over! I am very lucky and am probably a minority. I have an Aetna Open Access Select plan.

Good luck!

Hmm...maybe pump manufacturers need to offer insurance on them for if its lost or stolen. I know with any of my pumps I've had (Medtronic first and now Omnipod) any sort of error I would get a new one rushed to me. My Omnipods meter and remote decided that the batteries weren't going to hold so they rushed me a new one.

If you can get this with homeowners insurance do you think they could cover it on renter's insurance? Need to look into this with Geico.

I’ve used minimed for 20 years and any problem I had they overnighted me a pump no problem. The pumps aren’t perfect just like any electronic device. Always make sure you have syringes when you travel just in case… Kinda off subject but…