Pump

It’s been interesting. I have been fascinated by the pump lately. So far the hubs is not interested. I can’t help but feel it would be so much easier, just based on his busy schedule. Right now he is on Lantus and Humalog. He gets frustrated having to stop and actually take the shots. Even with the convenience of the pens. I asked if he would like to go to a local meeting to get more information. He declined…again. I know it’s that fear of changing and adjusting. And I don’t nag or push this, just casual then let it go. Am I a nut for being the non-diabetic researcher? I often wonder about myself…

Pumping can free your life…i was always all for it…diagnosed in 1974 at 4 years old…started pumping as soon as i could in 1990 - i have 2 cousins that it took some convincing…one went on and off the pump…the other went on and stayed on. All 3 of us are now pumping permenently and wouldnt change that. I always viewed my pump as freedom…to eat when i want, eat what i want, skip lunch when i need to and adjust my basal rates based on weekday, weekend, travel, etc -
I have had nothing but 100% positve experience with pumping - if your insurance pays for it, go for it…you can always put it on the shelf if it doesnt work out.
Know though that it takes a few weeks to get everything adjusted…hourly basal rates etc–but after that it should free your lives up completely.

Let me tell you how I changed my mind about pumping. I was visiting Lilly as part of an advocacy group about 11 years ago. There were a lot of folks with diabetes there including one woman who was on the pump.

She was very happy to let me know about all of the upsides and downsides to the pump. Including answering questions about what to do when showering or having sex!!

After talking with her I really wanted to get one, but had to wait a few more years until insurance covered it. It’s been 9 years now and I wonder how I managed before then. I was on 6-10 shots per day before pumping. Now it’s one stick every 3-4 days. What’s not to like?

If you want to talk further (or your hubbie) drop me a line.