Question about fasting BG level

It’s been about a month now since I found out I’m type 2. I take 500/mg of metformin and 1.2/mg of victoza. I have also really got in line with my diet and watching my carbs. With all this I still can’t get my BG level below 130, even after fasting/sleep. Does this mean I need my meds adjusted or am I missing something?

Gee, probably, wouldn’t hurt to call your doctor and ask. Mine didn’t get in to near normal fasting for the first three weeks after diagnosis, so if it’s that early for you, maybe it’s par for the course for your diabetes. Everybody’s mileage varies.

I also think the best idea would be to talk to your doc. Everyone’s different, and I don’t know whether your “reaction time” is just slow, or whether the meds aren’t doing the job.

Another complicating factor is dawn phenomenon. This is where your liver releases some glucose to your blood stream to get you ready for increased activity. Since your liver also experiences insulin resistance with T2 it may not receive the signal that there is adequate glucose present and stop releasing glucose. I believe more metformin might help so I would check with your doc.

Fasting is usually defined as 5 hours since eating. Generally there is that much time between lunch and my evening meal. My pre evening meal number us usually much lower than my wake up number because of dawn phenomenon.