Question about high blood sugar in 4 year old daughter

My family and I went out for a celebration for breakfast today. My 4 year-old daughter ate three small chocolate chip pancakes with syrup (I know this was a bad choice). 3.5 hours later I tested her blood sugar and it was 230. I am wondering if this is normal given the crazy amount of carbs she had. I have tested her in the past fasting and she usually reads between 95 and 115. I am nervous and wondering if anyone has experience with this? I have discussed high readings in the past with her doctor and my endo as well and they both kind of shrug it off. Thoughts?

Testing 3.5 hours later, unfortunately, wasn't a very accurate portrait of what the carbs did to her blood sugar. Most people test at two hours because that is (approximately) when our blood sugar hits its highest spike and starts to come down. So, sorry to say, she was likely higher than that.

On the one hand I very much disagree with "shrugging off" highs as your daughter has many years ahead of her in which complications can develop. On the other hand, I wouldn't stress over a one time high. It's repeated highs and ones that last for awhile that can accumulate and cause a problem. We all go high sometimes and I'm guessing that is not how she usually eats.

One question though. Do you use corrections? When I test at two hours and I'm high I do a correction based on my ISF. As I said, it isn't just how high we get, but how much time we spend there that is a problem. So if I'm high I work on getting back down by using correction bolus.

I should have been more clear, I am a T1 my daughter is not diabetic. I am worried what this indicates.

Most likely this indicates: your daughter still had traces of the syrup on her fingertips :-)

Susan, I do not want to alarm you, but 230 is a pretty high post-prandial for a non-diabetic person, child or adult, even with a high carb intake. Actually it is high for a diabetic if they are on meds or any other treatments to prevent hyperglycemia, such as diet and exercise. I would try to test her fasting and 2 hour post-prandials at other times, with lower glycemic meals, to see if this type of spike still occurs. If you see anything of concern, such as repeated highs or inconsistent blood glucose readings, I would call her pediatrician immediately. And do not let the medical staff brush you off. Have a log of blood gluocose readings along with your experience and knowledge base as a type 1 as your back-up....

God Bless,
Brunetta

Sorry about my misreading of your post, Susan. I agree with Brunetta. Don't panic (and that syrup on finger thing is definitely a possibility I had that happen once with spreadable fruit). But that is quite high for a non-diabetic, and like I said she could have spiked higher than that and already have been on her way down at 3.5 hours. I would definitely do some more testing ask for further testing if warranted.

Thanks, I hope you are right:). I will follow-up with very clean hand testing.

my dad, who was type 2, called me once and said his bg was 400 or something. I told him to wash his hands and test again, he was in normal range. I've heard just handling grapes can give you a wacko bg.

Unclean hands can cause this sort of trouble, but I am curious to know why, if she isn’t diabetic, were you testing her BG postprandially? I do understand the impulse to keep tabs on whether your child may have inherited the disease–I test my non-D son every so often too–but checking postprandially isn’t going to tell you much that is of value. Check fasting BG every few months, and that should reassure you. Other than that, there is no real need to check her BG after she eats.

I hope it was just sticky little fingers. If you repeat the experiment, anything close to 200 or above is extremely high. Not normal BG for a non-diabetic even give a huge amount of carbs, especially 3.5 hours later.

Disagree with Elizabeth. Postprandial numbers tell a lot & why people are given OGGT. It has to do with first & second phase insulin.

Young children's BG is typically lower than adults.

Find another doctor since the current one is brushing way high readings. What is with these medical professionals!

I think its probably a very good chance, she just had sticky fingers. I'd suggest testing again pre meal and post meal(2 hours after eating)and make sure her hands are good and clean and go from there.

If you are truely concerned, you could always ask for an A1C test on her. Just depends if you want to put her through a blood draw.

Well before putting a kid through a blood draw, as I know I dont particularly enjoy it as an adult, there are a few other questions I'd ask myself first. First of all, are they showing signs of diabetees...frequent urination, frequent thrist, eating large amounts of food but losing weight...those are all very unique signs of diabetes. If the child is not experiencing any of those signs, than just to put my mind at ease, I'd simply make sure her hands were good and clean check prior to eating a meal, and then check again 2 hours after eating. Most likely the child had remnants of pancake syrup on her fingers thus causing a falsely elevated test.