Question for runners!

I am currently signed up to run a 8k. I just wanted to know what snack do you eat before and during the race? To keep your BG from dropping too low.

My go-to would be a banana. If you are pumping, turn your basal down 1 hour before you start.

1 Like

I am not pumping only injection. I am LADA Type 1 taking 8 units of insulin once a day. I am not taking any meal time insulin as of yet.

I´m only running 5k, new runner btw, are u using an insulin pump? I normally suspend basal rate for the first 2.5km and then need insulin for the last part. I try not to begin my training with IOB. I began trainings eating some fruit (15 gram carb) but my sugar seemed to spike the last part and a lot…

I would suggest the “test and refine” method if you’re just taking one injection of basal a day, since you can’t suspend your basal. If you’re going low while exercising or after, then you’ll need to find the right amount of carbs to eat before or during exercise to keep you at or bring you up to your target level. For reference, this is what I do when cycling, which I figured out over the course of a few months of testing every 15 minutes while riding (well, had to get off the bike since I haven’t figured out how to fingerstick while pedaling yet):

• I test before I start riding. If I’m below 70 mg/dL, I eat a very small amount of carbs (enough to bring me up to 90-100 mg/dL, usually 10g of simple carbs) in the form of chocolate (yay!).

• I test at 45 minutes after I start my ride, and when I’m below 70 mg/dL (I always am at that point if I was below 100 mg/dL to start), then I use a Clif gel (24g of carbs, half dextrose half starch).

• If I’m still riding an hour later, I’ll take another 24g Clif gel.

• I’ll double the carbs in my typical post-ride dinner from 20-25g of carbs to 50g of carbs (I eat low-carb to help manage BG).

This usually works for me, and it helps me to stay in the 70-126 mg/dL range, which is my target range. I’m also early in the LADA progression, and don’t use mealtime insulin (or even basal at this point), and this is what works with my fairly minimal endogenous insulin production.

I don’t suggest you do the same as me. I do suggest that you experiment and test to find out what works. Figure out what your target range is (what you don’t want to go below while exercising, and your upper limit you aren’t comfortable exceeding), and try some small simple carb snacks either right before you start or after a few minutes after you start a run (gatorade and similar drinks work well for many people). Test, test, test while running to see how your body responds! Then adjust your snack intake to match :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really liked the “chocolate” part. Have not tried that, I mostly tried fast acting carbs (fruit) so it just didnt help. But maybe chocolate might surprise me.

1 Like

I’m a type 1 diabetic for five years and a runner for the past 20+ years. I also am not on a pump and typically eat a very low carb diet.

I check my sugar prior to running. If I’m 120 or above, I typically eat 10-15 grams of carbs (a small apple, half a slice of bread, etc). If I’m 70-120, then I’ll eat 15-20 grams (whole apple, banana, whole piece of bread). With this I’m usually good for 5-6 miles. If I’m doing a longer run, I’ll eat another 15-20 grams for each additional hour. Also I typically stuff a fruit roll up in my running shorts in case I go low.

That being said, your physiology may be different than mine. I adopted this strategy after doing a lot of pre- and post run glucose checks.

I now use a dexcom G5 and Bluetooth it to my apple watch so I don’t have to guess anymore while running. The watch also does double duty as a great GPS device for tracking speed/distance.

Good luck!

1 Like