Really screwed up BG!

Okay peeps…I have been on the Omnipod for just about a month. Everything was going really smoothly in the first couple of weeks…But the last week or so has had some really weird stuff going on. First, I have had days where I have woken up with BG over 450! The BG the night before was good (mid 100’s). The first time, I changed the pod, even though I had just changed the day before. It took until about 11 pm to get back into the normal range. The second time that happened, it decided to try and manage without changing…It did come down later that day, so the pod was still giving insulin. So, what is up with this crazy crap? Anyone else have these episodes? Am I just totally nuts?

No, you’re not nuts. You have to inform your endo. and work with him to get it right. It could be a number of things. I would call him tomorrow and explain what’s going on.

y’Know, Shadow…I have had similar episodes every once in a while…but it IS truly only every ONCE IN A WHILE…take a look at the discussion on BG’s going high after a pod change. Lots of good info there…and it is not uncommon. and, this may be criminal (at least I think so) but sometimes I even go back to MDI for my bolus needs and let the pod take care of my basil needs. Again, that is only if my bg’s are way too high for a while, and I can tell the pod is just not delivering, whether it is a defective pod or just a bad location. (agan, happens every once in a while). The thing to do is keep a positive attitude, take care of yourself, call insulet if you think you have a defective pod or just need some help…keep in touch here! good luck, and PEACE

Remember I told you I moved it to the arm? I’ve been well over 200 both days with heavy dosing. It’s a bummer. I’m about to move back to the tummy as my numbers were in range then. I’m on with Insulet now…

This only happened for my son w/ pod changes… can take almost 12 hrs to get him straight. Changing pod right before dinner seems to be his best bet.
$50 sounds really high though… wonder if it was a high w/ a dawn phenomenon combined…maybe what you ate needed an extended bolus and the high showed up later after you went to bed then the dawn?
It does get easier as you go… hope things get figured out for you.

Moved back to the tummy, then will try the “other” arm. Insulet does not recommend extracting the insulin from the other pod either… but it seems like such a waste! So, hoping to get the BS under control soon. I still have my Humalog pen and may take a shot tonight.

Everybody on here says that they extract the insulin. It sounds like something a company would say…I have been extracting mine, and it isn’t causing elevated BG. I was okay on my arm…my issues have come on the abdomen and back…I have used both with no proble.

We thought about that, but I extended my dose at dinner. It could have still be crazy, but the number seemed to high for even a combination of the two.
i haven’t had these issues before with the pod changes. This morning, however; when I changed it was 150, I didn’t eat…and at lunch it was 208.

Thanks for the input…I wish it was easier to explain. No more time of the month for me…thank goodness (hyst) and the temp is actually pleasant here…typically would be 100+ still, but is in the upper 80’s to mid 09’sould be stress, but you would think it would happen nearly all of the time…since the stress factor is pretty consistent.