Recent Riley Link shipment

Brad, I enjoyed reading your post on Diabetes Daily. One of my favorite parts of Looping is that my phone is the controller. IMO having a second phone is just like using the Omnipod PDM that I totally despised. In fact I bought a new phone before setting up the link because my old iPhone was dated. My 11-year old grandson is thrilled to have my old phone as his first phone. But what is wonderful about DIY tech is you can do it however you want.

I have been amazed that most of my setup and then the transition to JoJo have been relatively trouble-free. I must follow instructions really well because although I understand diabetes, I am brand new to having an Apple Developer account and creating an app.

Good luck and I look forward to hearing how things are going with your diabetes science experiment.

3 Likes

I totally agree and would love to cary 1 phone not 2. Unfortunately my son and I are in a 2 year contract with AT&T and got the Samsung Galaxy S10+ before I decided to loop and I love android, so am not wiling to switch. It was a cheap phone and I have a cheap plan so it works. Thatā€™s also why I chose the SE. Small phone and cheap used.

2 Likes

Me, too!! I love Loop, and like you, Iā€™m using the Jojo-beeps branch. Initially, I had huge problems with pod absorption and also G6 sensor failures. This took a few weeks to resolve with great help from the looped fb group and zulipchat forum. The last couple of weeks have been devoid of these issues and Loop has been keeping me in the 90+% time in range and standard deviation under 20%.

I donā€™t have the link, but Mark Yeagerā€™s comments on pod absorption issues on zulupchat really helped, especially the point about shaking the syringe a few times to accumulate all bubbles at the far end of the syringe and then NOT insert those bubbles!! I hope that will help you as it has me. I also moved the pod from my arm to my abdomen. Arm just doesnā€™t seem to work for me.

Iā€™ll have to investigate Zulipchat again. I signed up for it during my prelim work to get set up with Loop and canā€™t remember what my roadblock was for getting into the forum. Meanwhile I have been hanging out in the Looped Facebook group.

I have been whacking the syringe with a toothbrush and repeatedly pushing out bubbles, but I have never tried shaking the syringe. I havenā€™t tried my arms with the pods because I use my arms for Dexcom. Plus Iā€™ve gotten some ugly bruises on my abdomen and legs and I am not willing to have those battle scars on my arms.

Iā€™m still working on basals. What I have is working but I still have too many insulin shut-offs. I had my basals somewhat lower and then Autotune said they should be higher. So Iā€™ve been giving that a try. Quite an adventure.

Glad youā€™re having good success with jojo-beeps.

1 Like

I havenā€™t used Android in years and am roped into the Apple universe with an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook. I know that many people more techy than I am prefer Android. Apple has been a very good decision for most diabetes tech although ultimately it looks as though Insulet is going with Android.

Itā€™s great to see the looping discussion take root here at TuD! I guess it just takes a critical mass of enough people to make it useful.

Iā€™ve enjoyed reading all the comments from @Laddie, @Trying, @mohe0001, @BradP, @MA11, @Lorraine and others.

While I have not used the jojo branch, I have employed that idea in a more manual fashion. I set a temporary low target (Pre-Meal), like 65 mg/dL (3.6) when Iā€™m trending higher than Iā€™d like and then a temporary higher (Workout) target when Iā€™m trying to treat lows without glucose tabs.

I think of this like pressing on the accelerator or brakes for the car to control its speed. I also use Afrezza to smack down glucose trends that are higher than Iā€™d like. I realize that that is not a looping technique but it works so well for me that it takes away my motivation to learn something more sophisticated.

In any case, welcome to all the new looping activity at TuD. I also regularly visit the Looped Facebook group to learn from a much larger group over there.

4 Likes

Here is the link to the zulipchat on pod absorption resolution which really helped me:

ā€œLog in | Zulipā€

If you canā€™t access zulipchat, let me know, and Iā€™ll copy in the important parts of the post by Mark Yeager.

2 Likes

Thanks.

Just ordered my backup rileylink last night and it will ship on Monday. So glad to see them back in stock again!

Also did the developer. Seriously thinking of doing JoJo Beeps this next time I have to re-sign but now I wonā€™t have to keep re-signing every 7 days! Yeah!

3 Likes

Does anybody know how/where we look up error codes? Yesterday, stuff shut down, possibly from this error: ā€œThe operation couldnā€™t be completed: Shareclient.shareerror Error 0ā€

Did your failed pod screech?

Have you read/reviewed the Omnipod fault section of LoopDocs?

More fault event codes at Github.

Thanks for posting the link. I went onto ZulipChat yesterday and couldnā€™t find the post. Now that I have read it, I am not quite sure what to make of it. Itā€™ll give his technique a try and see if it makes a difference.

1 Like

I suspect that I have to go through the code in the share package, inside the Loop code, and try to identify where that error is. Someone suggested it might be some kinda https error. Not sure. Didnā€™t look today. Will let you know if I find it.

This error means that Loop had a problem accessing your Dexcom share account (maybe typo in your share username or password?).

But, before we go on to debug this any further, lets step back for a moment: which CGM are you using, and how exactly? Is it G4, G5 or G6, and do you have Dexcom app running on your iPhone? If thatā€™s the case, than you do not really need to setup Dexcom share in Loop, Loop will pick up Dexcom bg readings locally, without the need for Internet access to Dexcom share server.

G6. Yes, the data was collected inside the Dexcom app, but didnā€™t appear in Loop. Communications were lost somewhere. It was strange because my internet went down during a storm. But, that shouldnā€™t affect the comm. I wonder if this error gets thrown when the RL is too far away. But, I would have expected someone to recognize it if that was it. Such a common event! It started working again on its own.

Its probably a good exercise for me to either find this in the docs or somewhere.

If your internet went down, and if you are relying on Dexcom Share to get your CGM data, then the error you are seeing would pop up to tell you that Loop was unable to reach the Dexcom Share server. You should not need the Share server access at all. If Dexcom app is collecting data but the data is not showing up in Loop, then: 1. double-check that your transmitter ID is correctly entered and then 2. try rebooting your iPhone, and restarting both Dex and Loop app.

Not a common event at all - you should not see this type of error if the Dex app is working, and you entered the transmitter ID into Loop correctly. See this section of the Loop docs.

No, this error has nothing to do with comms to RL.

I thought the share server error was, "The operation couldnā€™t be completed: Shareclient.shareerror Error 1.ā€ This is Error 0. Someone suggested the error was related to https, but I have no idea.

I dont think this was a transmitter error because share was receiving data. The break was between Share and Loop. Comm just dropped out for 6 hours, and then started up again on its own.

Sorry, let me clarify, I didnā€™t mean that this particular error is common, just that is common to walk out of range of the RL. looking for the simple solutions first! Thanks, Dragan, Iā€™ll keep hunting. Iā€™ll let you know if I find anything.

Anybody have the link to setting up a Vm thru VMWare? Someone is asking for it and I lost it.

This the one? https://techsviewer.com/how-to-install-macos-10-15-catalina-on-vmware-on-windows-pc/

That looks like it. I just found it in the docs. I was just coming on to update. Thanks so much, Brad. Also, thanks for not saying ā€œcheck the docs,ā€ lol. I just updated my system and got the new RL running, but I didnā€™t want to throw out this pod, so Iā€™ll be up and running in a couple days, again.

I think the update will put an end to all those ShareErrors that the system was throwing. (Unless that was a prblem on the Dexcom sideā€¦it seems to have kinda gone away.) But, since we got snow today, thunderstorms that keep bringing down my internet will be over for a while, too.